• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Dungeon Music Competition - Week Twenty-One Entries + Week Twenty-Two Theme

Which entry did you think was the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

miniluigi008

Just smile and nod.
Psalm 120:1 "I call on the LORD in my distress, and he answers me."
...I don't know, then. But, you could vote for one of us, the scores are tied so far. :(

If what you say is correct about voting for yourself, then the scores are not tied at all. In fact, I would be the loser of this competition. :ezlo:

miniluigi008

Just smile and nod.
At any rate, if you want to know why I feel how I do...

It's really easy to take pieces of .midi files and put them in another .midi file.
That's why I feel like music should be in some sort of "non-tracker" format.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I was going to check the rules, but the link is broken. When I clicked on it, it took me to an error page.
Sorry about that.
Oh, darn, sorry. It never occurred to me that I would have to update the rules link when we switched to Xenforo. It should be fixed now.

EDIT: Also, I want to allow midis because I don't want anyone to be excluded from entering. This isn't a very serious competition -- we're mostly here to have fun and show off creative talent. As long as they're putting forth some kind of original content, no matter what form it is it, I'm happy to accept it.

Anyway I can stream the music and not download it?
You'd have to ask the entrants. They send the music to me in download form, so I post them as a download. Unless everyone wants me to upload their music to SoundCloud or something, that's all I can do.

miniluigi008

Just smile and nod.
This isn't a very serious competition -- we're mostly here to have fun and show off creative talent.

Not that I want to bash what you say here, but if it's not a very serious competition, then I think self-voting should be allowed...

Can anyone here give me a logical reason to why this rule was made?

If you're eligible for the competition, you should be entitled to benefit from a vote, as any other candidate would. So you should, theoretically, be able to vote for yourself, if you want to.

EDIT: Fixed my grammar.

Last edited:
Can anyone here give me a logical reason to why this rule was made?
If every contestant votes for themselves then the vote count at the end becomes Other Votes + Your Vote. If every contestant votes for themselves and you (as a contestant) don't, then it forces you to vote for yourself if you're to have an equal chance of winning.

miniluigi008

Just smile and nod.
If every contestant votes for themselves then the vote count at the end becomes Other Votes + Your Vote. If every contestant votes for themselves and you (as a contestant) don't, then it forces you to vote for yourself if you're to have an equal chance of winning.

EDIT: In order for everyone to have an equal chance in this scenario, they would have to vote for each other in a pattern. No one is really voting in this pattern, so what ends up happening is that the voting becomes unfair because it is no longer based on opinion, but changed by a set of rules. The rules are the chords, and the notes have to follow. This takes away the freedom of the melody.

EDIT #2: The melody I reference is the body of voters. In case anyone missed that.

EDIT #3: So when you get down to it, this isn't really instituting any moral standard, it's just there to look nice and take away the freedom of the voters (and the true opinion of the entrants.)

Last edited:

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
I shouldn't have mentioned anything...

Well, at any rate, I've got my submission for next week, and just sent it to Heroine. :)

miniluigi008

Just smile and nod.
I shouldn't have mentioned anything...

Well, at any rate, I've got my submission for next week, and just sent it to Heroine. :)

How do you do this stuff so fast? It's so fast it's ridiculous. Do you spend like, 8 hours working on it? (Because I usually have to clock in overtime.) I've about redone my song three times now because I don't like the way it sounds.

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
I've got most of my stuff already done like a month or two ago. When I hear the theme of this week, I work on remixing or bettering my original song. I actually generate my own arrangement of a Zelda song every week, plus I'm using a midi instead of real instruments. I actually got mine for this week all fixed up and ready within two or three hours. Since Zelda songs/remixes are allowed, I like to do those, since I have no talent with my own original songs.
For what it's worth, though, I think your entries so far sound way better than mine. :)

miniluigi008

Just smile and nod.
For what it's worth, though, I think your entries so far sound way better than mine. :)

Eh, there's always a nagging feeling I could do something better so I don't feel that they're anything great.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
This reminder is a bit late, but I wanted everyone to know that you have just over four hours to submit your entries for this round. Good luck to everyone!

EDIT: In order for everyone to have an equal chance in this scenario, they would have to vote for each other in a pattern. No one is really voting in this pattern, so what ends up happening is that the voting becomes unfair because it is no longer based on opinion, but changed by a set of rules. The rules are the chords, and the notes have to follow. This takes away the freedom of the melody.

EDIT #2: The melody I reference is the body of voters. In case anyone missed that.

EDIT #3: So when you get down to it, this isn't really instituting any moral standard, it's just there to look nice and take away the freedom of the voters (and the true opinion of the entrants.)

An entrant voting for themselves is inherently biased. Even if you happen to be someone who will honestly vote based on which you think is the best (whether it is your entry or not), there is no guarantee that everyone will be like that. Plus, it's unfair to entrants who want to be modest and give their competitor a chance. Like Ayn Stein said, it basically forces an entrant to vote for themselves if their competitor does as well if they want to win.

I also don't think it's restricting the "true opinion" of the entrants. If you truly believe your entry is better, feel free to say so in the thread. However, preventing entrants from voting is for the same reason that we have the rule about having your friends unfairly vote for you. Just because it's not serious doesn't mean we don't want to give everyone a fair chance.

miniluigi008

Just smile and nod.
This reminder is a bit late, but I wanted everyone to know that you have just over four hours to submit your entries for this round. Good luck to everyone!

An entrant voting for themselves is inherently biased. Even if you happen to be someone who will honestly vote based on which you think is the best (whether it is your entry or not), there is no guarantee that everyone will be like that. Plus, it's unfair to entrants who want to be modest and give their competitor a chance. Like Ayn Stein said, it basically forces an entrant to vote for themselves if their competitor does as well if they want to win.

I also don't think it's restricting the "true opinion" of the entrants. If you truly believe your entry is better, feel free to say so in the thread. However, preventing entrants from voting is for the same reason that we have the rule about having your friends unfairly vote for you. Just because it's not serious doesn't mean we don't want to give everyone a fair chance.

Of course I don't think that it's "morally right" to vote for yourself. And yes, anyone who makes their own music should like it.
If they don't, then I don't understand the point of it...

I do believe that I put hard work into my entry, and I want to vote for it, yes. But my opinion isn't part of the freedom argument I'm trying to make.

You can't really prove someone is biased for voting, really. How do you know someone is voting for the song they think is best...? They could be voting for the other candidate out of pity. And yes, you might have to pull out a few tricks and vote for yourself if you want to have a slightly higher chance of winning. And, voters shouldn't be modest, they should be honest. If you vote for the candidate you think is best, then kudos to you.

I do think the friend rule is fair in this scenario (in case someone doesn't have that many friends,) but a vote is a vote, it's not really fair or unfair.
If I really wanted to start something, we could re-examine the true meaning of ideas like fair and unfair. I really don't want to do that, so I won't. Also, if everyone was a friend with everyone we would have a big problem... might want to re-address the wording of that rule (example: you can't create fake accounts to vote for you.)

But, let's take a step back here. Voting is basically a kind of speech (or a branch, etc.) which is made purposefully to express an opinion. I consider freedom of speech to be self-evident. Some might not. But, since everyone is stating their opinion to me, you can't really deny it. As such, voting, as a kind of speech, should be free.
Just like those little books the Jehovah witnesses give out to you.

I think that voting is a form of expression, just like music. I hate to argue with you, but I stand up for what I am guided to think is just. This is why I get mad at people who are ignorant. You, are not necessarily ignorant, and I can't say much because it appears, yes, I don't know who you are. It's not that I don't prefer to, but you are the only one who can make that happen.
EDIT: So much for fellowship, eh?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom