• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda Breath of the Wild (Some Fans don't like it?)

Salem

SICK
Well there's hundreds of weapons/shields with different stats (I guess hundreds because in 10 minutes they found like...eight of them) and break as well as what seems to be many different armor types with their own stats and it's these stats that make the difference in fighting the final boss, which can technically be done at any time.
Yeah, I dunno, I still don't see that as an RPG specif thing.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I'm sure I already posted in another thread but here I go again

A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting (Hyrule) Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative (Yep) either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development

And there we go. Zelda is an RPG even without the new elements. Levelling has nothing to do with it, it's just a common feature of most RPG's. And you can upgrade things in this game anyway.

Soo.... 97% of video games are RPGs? I mean, that's fine. If that's how you're defining it, then fine.

Of course, in reality, today RPGs do have an element of leveling up, and without it, a game is not considered an RPG. Otherwise, Mario, Zelda, Lara Croft, Halo, Saints Row, Metroid, Banjo Kazooie, and even FIFA are all RPG, because in each one of those, you assume the role of a character (Mario, a football manager/player, an explorer, a Space Marine, etc..).

To me [and everyone else] that is a pretty dumb way to define RPG.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Yeah, I dunno, I still don't see that as an RPG specif thing.

Well whatever you wanna call a "stat heavy game". I think we can at least agree that, though there were some elements like hearts and the magic meter, Zelda hasn't been a stat heavy series at this point.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
from what ive seen (not heard as I'm deaf) it seems a bit Elder Scrolls-y I mean I don't wanna ruin it too much for myself, but that seems to be the vibes I'm getting so far.....

I guess where we define minidungeon is murky...single room tier one complexity is not what I call a minidungeon. I would call that a grotto more than anything.
What you are forgetting is that Aonuma said they will get bigger and increasingly more complex as the game goes on. We only saw a few, and there are 100 of them.

As long as it's not a buggy mess, I'll take it.

I will say that today, being Elder Scrolls-y means watered down for the masses. Which in this case, I don't think is what we have. If anything, this game is more complex than previous Zelda titles.

From what we've seen.
From whaty we've seen, BotW is more like a traditional 3D RPG game and less like a Zelda game. Aesthetics aside (which are totally not life like) the rest of the game is the most life like we have had in any Zelda game. Having to eat to get back health, can't get everything from grass cutting, can use the environment to kill things, things like heat stroke and hypothermia are legit real in thing game, etc etc. Everything we have to deal with in the real world.

In real life, we don't forget to put on a jomper if it's cold or forget to eat when we are hungry. Same principles for this game.
If anything, this game is more complex than previous Zelda titles.
So things we do in real life are complex? Yes sir, they are indeed.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
From whaty we've seen, BotW is more like a traditional 3D RPG game and less like a Zelda game. Aesthetics aside (which are totally not life like) the rest of the game is the most life like we have had in any Zelda game. Having to eat to get back health, can't get everything from grass cutting, can use the environment to kill things, things like heat stroke and hypothermia are legit real in thing game, etc etc. Everything we have to deal with in the real world.

In real life, we don't forget to put on a jomper if it's cold or forget to eat when we are hungry. Same principles for this game.

So things we do in real life are complex? Yes sir, they are indeed.

There's a limit to how life-like a game should be. I mean, if I really wanted something super life-like, I have, you know, life. It was one of the things I didn't care about GTA IV, for example. The game felt like a chore.

Even games like The Sims (which I enjoyed a ton when it first came out) can become tedious after a while.

I like that there are elements to the game that make it seem more real, and that Link is a real person that needs to be protected from the elements and has to eat to survive, but it's still a game—and a fantasy game at that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom