• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link Zelda 2 the Adventure of Link Good Game ?

E

Eldinvolcano

Ok this game is a bad game but not because of what i think because it's one of my favorite games. But this doesn't follow the zelda formula if you get a dungeon item you don't defeat the boss with it and you don't really get a plot twist at the half way point in the game. Also the upgrade system it's like nothing ever seen before and we will probably never see again. So acording to not what i think but to the game this is a bad game.

I agree that this game is not necessarily normal compared to most of the Zelda games in the series. I am enjoying this game more than I have in the past. I am currently working my way through the game for the first time. I finished the first dungeon and am on my way to find other things. I see a lot of bashing done on this game.

What I look for in a Zelda game is the story. That is my favorite part and so far this game is chalked full of story.

atompike

On my Zeldathon Quest
To be fair to the game itself it's the second so they didn't even have a formula yet. There was no plot twist midway through the first Zelda game. I think the game is difficult as he%% but I don't think it's bad. Example look at Super mario bros. 2 (american version) it was a terrible game in my opinion not because it didn't follow the first game (even though that sucked) but because it was hard to control and difficult. See what I mean, just be fair and don't look at the trees look at the forest. I love that saying :).

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Zelda II is definitely not a bad game. In fact, it's a very good game. It's just not great. It has too many frustrating flaws in it that really weigh it down. But! There are plenty of good things, such as the challenge, that make it entertaining. I give it a 7.5/10.

M

Mik

It IS a good game. One of the things that makes it frustrating is what makes it so faschinating: the enemys really show signs of "intelligence"! They actually react to your movements as they duck, use shields, back off relative to your every move and trick you into getting hit. This makes it totally unique for it´s time. In LoZ enemys move in more or less fixed patterns that are easily predicted after playing for a short time. LoZ I can pretty much just stroll through because I´ve learned all there is to know about avoiding injury. None of that can hardly be said about AoL. It keeps posing almost the same challenge for every playthrough, and that makes it one of the all time greats. (Of course, if you get really fanatic about it this game is "learnable" too! A friend of mine did that and could play it through not dying even once.)

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Compared to how the Zelda games are nowadays yes it doesn't follow any of the same formula. But you have to think, it was JUST the 2nd installment of the Zelda series. They didn't have any forumla to go off of and they were just trying something to see how it went. Sure it's not the best game, but for it's time it was a really good game. I for one like it, but with all the newer ones out, it is definitely more obsolete. And also, you have to think this game for introducing us to Dark Link, and the unforgettable music from the last temple.

Ganondork

goo
Okay, let's just get this out of the way; Zelda 2 is by no means going to follow the Zelda formula. First of all, Adventure of Link is an RPG; there will more than likely never be a leveling system in a Zelda game ever again. Zelda can't work well as an RPG for whatever reason, even though it wouldn't really do much bad towards the series in my opinion. I've recently tried two RPGs - Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas - and I like both. At this point, Adventure of Link has been a fun game for me, but it's not my favorite.

Many people dislike Adventure of Link because of its difficulty. If you have noticed, there were no puzzles in Adventure of Link; it was all hack and slash. That's basically how RPGs work; puzzles are irregular in every RPG I've ever played. The original Legend of Zelda lacked any puzzles as well, therefore I don't see how you don't lump the original in on this ignoring of the Zelda formula.

Now, difficulty does not ruin the quality of a video game; it just makes it harder. The one thing that basically ruins hard games is when you lose a lot. Usually - at least this happens to me - once I turn the game off, I lose any and all inspiration to continue playing the game. Currently I have that issue with Adventure of Link, but I still enjoy it.

Eldinvolcano said:
you don't really get a plot twist at the half way point in the game.

The first game didn't have it either. That tradition didn't really start until A Link to the Past when you realize that Ganon is the actual enemy, not Agahnim. The Zelda formula didn't start until A Link to the Past - A Link to the Past is the game that really set precedents for games, eventually giving way to Ocarina of Time, where A Link to the Past was eventually forgotten as the original starter of the Zelda formula.

Also the upgrade system it's like nothing ever seen before and we will probably never see again.

Maybe for a Zelda game, but that is very common among RPGs. The fact that Link is actually leveling up was rather interesting. I was somewhat hoping that would happen in Skyward Sword, but it didn't happen. Personally I think we should see it again; I haven't really liked how Link picks up the weapon and is automatically great at it. It would be more realistic - and add difficulty that 3D Zelda's have neglected - to have him gradually increase his abilities until he's finally the true Hero of Hyrule.

JuicieJ said:
It has too many frustrating flaws in it that really weigh it down.

Can you please tell me any frustrating flaws? The difficulty has made it more fun. The magic was one precedent that the game set for future Zelda games. Not to mention NPCs began to received a higher role in the game which became extremely useful for sidequests in many other Zelda games.

I honestly think Zelda II is a good game, it receives more hate than it deserves. It's just different, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Big Octo

=^)
Okay, let's just get this out of the way; Zelda 2 is by no means going to follow the Zelda formula. First of all, Adventure of Link is an RPG; there will more than likely never be a leveling system in a Zelda game ever again. Zelda can't work well as an RPG for whatever reason, even though it wouldn't really do much bad towards the series in my opinion. I've recently tried two RPGs - Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas - and I like both. At this point, Adventure of Link has been a fun game for me, but it's not my favorite.

Sorry, but this has been nagging me for quite a while. Just because the game has an experience system doesn't mean it's an RPG. Zelda II has much more action and adventure components in it, while it lacks other RPG elements, such as actually playing a role. There are many games with experience systems that aren't RPGs, so of course this isn't the only one. Trust me, I've played many RPGs, and the difference is black and white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom