• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Thoughts on Contests and the Pokelathon?

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
In Ruby/Sapphire they added another competitive sport to the Pokemon series, contests. In Diamond/Pearl they extended on the contests. In Heartgold/Soulsilver they replaced contests with the pokelathon. So what do you think? Is it a nice alternative to battling or a waste of time? Do you have a preference, did you like contests or the pokelathon better, or are they equal in your opinion?

I thought the contests were neat, but they forced me to be careful what moves I let my contest goer learn. Unlike in battles where everything goes, use the wrong kind of move in a contest and you will be penalized. The only two contest pokemon I remember were Techno the manectric for the cool contest and Spike the onix for the tough contest, but I know I tried it with others. I think contests wouldve been better if you got items instead of ribbons as prizes, something rare like evolution stones, that way you would have a reason to try the contests other than just because.

The pokelathon fixed that problem. On my first playthrough of Soulsilver I needed a water stone for my poliwhirl, Seatide. I even had her participate in the games, so she pretty much earned her evolution, and she was an awesome poliwrath. On my current playthrough I decided not to catch a mareep and evolve the eevee I get from Bill into a jolteon instead. So I'm doing the pokelathon again. It's a bit harder than the contests because it requires more skill than just feeding a lot of pokeblocks or poffins and using the right moves, but it's worth it since you get prizes that are actually useful.

Other than that I think I enjoyed them both equally. You?

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I strongly disliked the contests. They were boring and there wasn't much to do with them. Nintendo knew they weren't doing well so they even nerfed them in Emerald so they were all packed in one building instead of spread throughout Hoenn like the gyms were. The Pokeathlon was fun because at least you could get items for winning. Also they actually took skill, and provided a refreshing break from the game in case you got tired of battling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom