• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

your first negative zelda experience

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Really? How come?
i had massive expectations from childhood and from the internet later on clamoring it as the best game of all time
then when i actually played the game,it was just.....basic

i didn't hate the game,but b/c i had already played and beaten wind waker and twilight princess prior,ocarina of time to me was simply not as good

In the fifth dungeon of The Legend of Zelda, there's a trap room below a couple of Dodongos. I had just run out of bombs and was stuck, forcing me to reset and start the dungeon over.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I got stuck Inside the Deku Tree in Ocarina of Time. I couldn't figure out you had to cut the spider web to get down to the basement, and I assumed it was some poorly designed or buggy dungeon. I ended up not playing the franchise for nine years after that until a year after Twilight Princess came out. When I went back to Ocarina of Time, I absolutely fell in love with the game.

i had massive expectations from childhood and from the internet later on clamoring it as the best game of all time
then when i actually played the game,it was just.....basic

i didn't hate the game,but b/c i had already played and beaten wind waker and twilight princess prior,ocarina of time to me was simply not as good
That's a shame. If you'd played it closer to when it came out, everything would have felt so new. I imagine it only felt basic when you did play it because it practically invented half the 3D adventure genre staples. Movement, control scheme, menu design, item design, level/town design, circumstantial commands… pretty much all of it was new when they made OoT. But by modern standards, it's slow and clunky. Such a pity...

Although I realize it's not THAT bad in hindsight, my first ever experience would have to be with the sailing in WW.

I think I've mellowed out with WW over the years (it flip-slops with SS for being my least favorite 3D title), but I just got so sick of the sailing the first time through. It was slow, it was boring, and it happened so frequently. Every time I'd "beat" an island, it would always be the freaking sailing again, and I would think to myself "siiiiiigh, have to do this crap again....."

Again, I don't really mind it, and the HD version made it much more enjoyable. Little did I know that I would have far worse experience overall later in the future (PH and SS), but that would definitely be the very first time I thought something negative about Zelda.

Train in Spirit Trash.

Sailing sucked too but it was 1000x better than that damn train.

Also lots of potentially repetitive events in Majora's Mask kinda killed some of the enjoyment of the game.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
I found it impossible to navigate the first areas in Zelda II and OoT

The look of Wind Waker. Put me off buying the game for years till I years later when I got a good deal on the Master Quest version from ebay.

Disasterbate5k

Shubadawoo
I'm not sure on what the general census is on the wolf link segments of Twilight Princess, but I always felt it was pretty gimmicky. It felt so separate to everything else I did in the game and just couldn't get into it. I mean, the segments weren't boring or anything, I just don't think they fit in well enough in context to everything else in the game. If I wanted to run around in a game as a wolf, I would just play Okami.

I'm not sure on what the general census is on the wolf link segments of Twilight Princess, but I always felt it was pretty gimmicky. It felt so separate to everything else I did in the game and just couldn't get into it. I mean, the segments weren't boring or anything, I just don't think they fit in well enough in context to everything else in the game. If I wanted to run around in a game as a wolf, I would just play Okami.
When I heard you got to be a wolf, I was really excited because I thought they'd give you a complex moveset like Link has. All the types of slashes and techniques… I thought there'd be lots of cool attacks. Instead it just became "hold Z, hit A repeatedly. Fall off. Repeat." Was a letdown. But I wouldn't call it a negative experience.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
That's a shame. If you'd played it closer to when it came out, everything would have felt so new. I imagine it only felt basic when you did play it because it practically invented half the 3D adventure genre staples. Movement, control scheme, menu design, item design, level/town design, circumstantial commands… pretty much all of it was new when they made OoT. But by modern standards, it's slow and clunky. Such a pity...
even so,my main issue was people clamoring it as the best game ever made well over 10 years after it was released, i understand all the praise it received at the time it came out,but their fanboyism really affected my experience b/c i thought wind waker and twilight princess were amazing,but if people are saying that ocarina is the best,then man i must be really missing out
hence the most disappointing game i've played thus far

Salem

SICK
even so,my main issue was people clamoring it as the best game ever made well over 10 years after it was released, i understand all the praise it received at the time it came out,but their fanboyism really affected my experience b/c i thought wind waker and twilight princess were amazing,but if people are saying that ocarina is the best,then man i must be really missing out
That's not really anyone's fault, people were just passionate about this game.

I think the problem with Ocarina of Time is that it's not so much the best game as it's just not really comparable to anything. It's just the 'First' of a lot of things, and it sits at a unique pinnacle of gaming history (the true birth of 3D console gaming) that the criticisms that can be levied against it now just didn't even exist back in its heyday. Like the first Legend of Zelda, the quality of all the games that come afterwards is there only because Ocarina of Time was what it was. They had time to refine and reiterate the controls, gameplay, and design styles that were started there.

Anyway, what I was trying to say before is that it sucks that people talking it up so much made you enjoy it less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom