• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your favourite RPG battle system

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Battle Network is great. The grid system by itself is nice in that battles often have some execution challenge in dodging and positioning yourself for attacks. Chips are nice in that the RNG avoids that you can rely on one strategy and have to try different chips you might not necessarily use otherwise, sometimes even putting you at a disadvantage. The style system in 3 is a nice touch in particular, since that means your options rely on how you play, which differentiates playthroughs. Beautiful.

I haven't played any Paper Mario in a while, but Thousand Year Door's system was nice if a bit simple after a while. Stylish hits and crowd management were things I found neat about it.

Lately I've been playing Deus Ex Human Revolution. Only thing about it that seems RPG to me is spending points on augments, but some of them do let you do things differently over others like jumping high or carrying heavy stuff (some of them are probably obligatory though for all I know). I like how it forces different play styles, although some of them seem like some sort of easy mode, mostly the stealth ones from what I've seen. Haven't finished it but I'm pleasantly surprised so far.

Last edited:

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Kingdom Hearts is good, and the Mario RPG games (7 Stars, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi). I did enjoy Xenoblades, it was a neat take, and obviously the classic Final Fantasy is great.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
Xenoblade Chronicles for its unique MMO-ish system, The Last Story for its cool tactical spin on things (even if tactics were sadly unnecessary in some cases and ofttimes brute force was the best option, still a great game and one of my favorites on the Wii), the Souls franchise for its way of making you truly pace yourself and think about how to overcome challenges, and The World Ends With You for its fun, fleshed out, diverse combat system. Just a few of my favorites.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I actually do like Turn-based RPGs. I get they have fallen out of favor of late, but I like the strategy behind them. However, my favorite JRPG battle system is in the Tales series, specifically new "newer" Tales games, like Vesperia and Symphonia.

I liked Xenoblade Chronicles a lot, but sometimes I felt like I didn't have that much to do in battles because of the auto-attack. I'm not anti auto-attack, but I prefer to have more input.

I'm still a fan of turn-based though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom