• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I watch Etika on YouTube and when he was showing footage form the direct it really made me want this game, I don't really know anything other than the world is huge, awesome visuals and cool as hell mech suits.
Is there a release date?

(havent read previous posts sorry)
December 4th to be exact.

Finally going to say my piece about this game:

I absolutely cannot wait.

I remember reading about Xenoblade from Nintendo Power (RIP my childhood) way, way back. I've always been an enormous fan of Final Fantasy and most JRPGs in general, so the concept of Xenoblade really appealed to me - a truly open-world RPG boasting humongous environments on top of having a story on part with the best of Final Fantasy? I was completely on board, and didn't waste any time on doing the pre-order thing from Gamestop, as I believe it was the only possible way to get it in North America at the time. Speaking of that, how awesome of a success story is Xenoblade? Went from something that surely only would succeed in Japan, to just barely being localized for a small international audience, to being one of the most critically acclaimed titles of a generation, to getting a representative in Smash Bros, and now to this. It's just great to see that things like this can happen in this industry with brand new IPs in a sequel-heavy market. But I digress.

I sunk so many hours so quickly into the first one that it's not even funny (I want to say 100+). Perhaps my biggest gaming regret is that I never actually finished it. When it was first released, I was all over it. I explored every nook and cranny of every single one of the massive areas I came across, tried to do as many side-quests as possible, constantly upgraded my gear, the works. It was just unfortunate that I left for debate camp that summer all the way up at Dartmouth, and didn't take any video game consoles with me. Life kind of took a turn for the worst from there, and by the time I was back at home again, I didn't feel like playing anymore because of other things. When I eventually got everything together, I realized that I kind of forgot about most of the plot. Since the story is so important to me in RPGs, I didn't want to go further on my initial save file when I probably had forgotten critical plot points or information.

I also didn't want to start over completely because I remembered how long it took to do all that exploring in every area the first time. The whole thing seemed like a daunting task, and before I knew it, college was about to start and I once again left my video games behind for almost an entire year. These days I definitely don't have the time to make another run at Xenoblade because of all the newer games I want to play, work, and all that kind of stuff. For reference, I believe I stopped playing when Shulk's group arrived at the Mechon city on the Mechonis. I couldn't tell you how they got there or what they were doing.

In a way, Xenoblade Chronicles X is my chance at "redeeming" myself for having not finished a game I adored so much in so many ways. Even apart from that though, all the the videos you guys have been posting look absolutely amazing. The sense of size and scale, the impressively detailed environments, the familiar-but-different combat system, having an IRON MAN MECH to fly through the air with.... This is going to be the game that I waste my life on during the holiday break for sure.

I am annoyed that Nintendo can't put this game as their No.1 thing for this holiday. It is. But Nintendo refuse to accept this fact. In the direct Nintendo taked about a March Zelda remake first and not XCX. I still don't know why Nintendo insists on putting it's own games first always and not pushing the obvious console sellers. XCX is a possible console seller. TPHD is not. All the TP/Zelda fans already have a WiiU. And they will just get TPHD automatically. No real advertising needs to be done there.

On the other hand the FF and KH and other RPG fans in the PS and XBbox worlds would like XCX. XCX is really their type of game. It is the game Nintendo can use to woo over some of the PS and Xbox fans to Nintendo. Nintendo are too stubborn to realise this. This annoys me to no end.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Alrighty, now we got the full extent to which this game is "censored" for the Westernized version.

It's not too bad.
Lyn was slightly edited, but not too badly.
The most disappointing thing is the removal of the bust slider. Though, it doesn't matter too much for me. I am very glad these were the only things changed, and I can see why they were necessary.

It's not too bad.
I agree. Thanks for the video. I can understand why the changes were made. I'm just glad none of the core gameplay experience was changed. To me this feels like the game ratings agencies outside Japan insisted on these changes to keep the same overall game age rating. NOA and NOE obviously accepted these proposed changes.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Alright guys!
Xenoblade X's preview embargo has been lifted, so journalists are now allowed to report what they think of the game so far.
http://www.gamespot.com/videos/xenoblade-chronicles-x-first-impressions/2300-6428096/
(GameSpots was of the preview event not of the full game, but I think it sort of counts)
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2015/11/13/xenoblade-chronicles-x-preview/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...might-yet-be-2015s-most-impressive-open-world
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/11/preview_getting_lost_in_the_world_of_xenoblade_chronicles_x
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AssqD-hFhM

So this is what we have!
These previews are very overwhelmingly positive!
They adore the extremely quirky soundtrack that gives the game a unique atmospher
They love the world, agree that it is huge, and it is amazing
They like the graphical quality of the game with its scope being the focus
Most people love the format that the story takes(Unlike the Japanese audience)
They praise the battle system
They love the lack of handholding(well, most of them. Some of them are too used to casual crap)
Derrick himself loves the VA in the game, and the characters
Everyone loves the world building

They do have some criticisms
Most of these stem from Kizuna Quests, and the fact that you cannot exit out of them until you complete them, and you can't change Kizuna quests nor move on to Story Quests
Some people had problem with material quests(which are a fair point)
Some people found it overwhelming

So yeah....
Some other things to note are that most people haven't gotten to Skells. They haven't tried out online. We also haven't gotten Chuggaaconroy's opinions of the game. He is practically going to be co-reviewing XCX with Derrick from GameXplain. So yeah. A lot to be excited about. Looks like the western audience holds this game with better regards than the Japanese audience.

The most disappointing thing is the removal of the bust slider. Though, it doesn't matter too much for me. I am very glad these were the only things changed, and I can see why they were necessary.

Haha, I wasn't going to play as a female anyway, so whatever. I'm hoping that I'm able to make a pretty accurate representation of myself so I can actually feel like I'm in the game even more. I do feel sorry for those that did/do want to play as a female and don't get that option though. The game is rated T, correct? I doubt this feature would have pushed it over the edge for M, so I'm a little confused why that happened.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Here is an Affinity Quest

HB is pretty hilarious.

@Spirit
This is the game without the Data Packs. That gives you a sense of the load times and such(You need to only watch about 7 minutes of it). Load times are not bad, and that is what the Data Packs are for. It is way better than games like Skyrim Fallout, and other open world games. Plus, you will only get a load screen for cutscenes, and quick travelling. So it really isn't a big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom