• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Would You Like Too See a Zelda Title with a Much Darker Story Than Any Other?

Ok so since the first rendition of this thread seemed to cause confusion I will go in a more efficient direction.

So basically I read that MM had I darker or as my fellow fans described it more surreal story than the other games, personally I didn't think it was dark but the statement that I had read saying it was made me think what would a truly dark Zelda title be like, would characters the game makes us grow attached to die off would major sacrifices that shatter the hearts and souls of Hyrule ensue with the coming of the greatest darkness our hero has yet faced, would link or zelda die tragically in saving the peoples of hyrule, adding a more realistic outcomes could make for a much darker tale.

Basically I want to know whether you would like to see a darker story develop in the series?

Last edited:
If MM taught us anything its that you don't need death as major plot points to have a dark story. MM was all about impending death. The evils in MM were mysterious, they had no reason for being, they were just there to hurt and cause chaos, MM is surreal more than it is dark, where did MM come from? Why does the moon cry? Why does it have a face? Why does everyone look the same?

Its the surreality of MM that makes it 'dark'. In my mind MM is surreal and dark is the wrong word for it, rather i would call MM surreal and intense, i'd call TP dark. In TP we had Ganondorf kill a sage in cold blood, we saw Ganondorf being executed with a sword rammed through his chest, Znt severing his connection with Ganondorf almost as if he was breaking his own neck... its dark stuff there and more akin to what you described with a narrative and plot based on death, which Zelda doesn't need to be dark or intense.

I didn't say MM was dark I said that I had read that its story was dark in comparison to other stories, It was that statement that made me think of these ideas not MM its self, also I stated that I left a lot of details and events out out, the majority of the dark events were not actually death's at all but rather things of dark and fairly depressing nature, the only reason I included death was because death rips at the heart and soul which would be necessary to break links spirit and drive him to the point were he considers sacrificing Hyrule to take back at least one thing he loves

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Sure, as long as it has limits. I never saw MM as dark though...just surreal...makes me think more of Adventure Time or Phineas and Ferb to be honest.

well of course there would be limits, the balance between a true zelda game and something different altogether would have be watched carefully, even if link were the only character to die that alone would probably make the story in which said death occurs a great deal darker.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I would like to see a darker story, actually. When you go deep into Zelda, the stories are actually quite dark; Hyrule destroyed and everyone's ReDeads. Stuff like that. It is quite dark but the narration makes sure it always skirts away from that; I'd like to see a darker, gritter Zelda game that didn't, and really explored that stuff more. Only once, though, don't make Zelda some depressing game Ninty. I like Zelda being bright and colourful but, always nice to change the formula up a bit. Keeps it interesting. :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Darker story and I want to have morals questioned (though it'd have to be subtle and out-of-the-way of course), racism (MM presented this though it too was light), and a lot of death of innocents (again it wouldn't be DIRECTLY SHOWN but an apocalypse a la MM would do). Sure we got visual darkness with Twilight Princess but nothing all too serious. There were racial tensions but it wasn't anything that made you question "am I on the right side" because at the end of the day, everyone was united.

A darker-more-human story please. :3

Yuki Cross

Attack on Titan~!!!
I would like to have a darker installment in the Zelda series. In my opinion, Twilight Princess was the darkest and scariest. So it would be awesome if there was something even darker (for the Wii or Wii U, or something, because if it were on one of the hand-helds, it would be too small to make an impression on me).

would link or zelda die tragically in saving the peoples of hyrule.

^ ^ ^ I like this idea. Maybe not so much Link, since you're the one playing him, so you should be able to easily prevent his death, and if you couldn't, it would just be annoying. But for Zelda it might be interesting. Zelda is my favourite character in almost all the Zelda games I've played (excluding Ocarina of Time), which is precisely why I think this is a good idea. I've never cried in a Zelda game. Not once before. However, if Zelda (or someone else I really cared for) were to die..... this all might change. Zelda would become something much more meaningful (don't get me wrong, Zelda games are the best thing ever!).

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
Darker story and I want to have morals questioned (though it'd have to be subtle and out-of-the-way of course), racism (MM presented this though it too was light), and a lot of death of innocents (again it wouldn't be DIRECTLY SHOWN but an apocalypse a la MM would do). Sure we got visual darkness with Twilight Princess but nothing all too serious. There were racial tensions but it wasn't anything that made you question "am I on the right side" because at the end of the day, everyone was united.

I like a lot this idea. In all Zelda games (and mainly any game of this type) there is two complete opposite groups of characters: the good ones, and the bad ones. To make it all simpler, the good ones are honest, caring, with all type of personalities and sometimes not being nice when meeting Link, but at the end they are all friends. On the other hand, the bad ones are pure evil, cruel, with no kind of relationship, often dumb and it's OK if you kill them because they have no true feelings for anything (and often, to make that clearer, they have beast-like appearence). This way the game is easy: kill the baddies, save the goodies.

However, TP made an effort to break a little this topic, when Link have to team up with someone that (judging only by the first appearences, which usually in this games are the only ones that matter) would be considered from the bad side. Plus, Link himself is treated as a bad guy when he's a wolf in the light world (I'm thinking specially in the Ordon scene, where he's feared and fought against, and later on Rusl talks about the monsters who stole the sword and shield). I think this experience teaches Link and the player that looks are decieving, and that you can't generalize with the good/bad guys system. This issue doesn't show up much in the game untill Link gets into the Twilight Realm and Midna warns him that the "monsters" they see are only innocent citizents and must not be killed.

The thing is, the morale dylema is suggested in TP but isn't taken any further; I'd like a game where this was a stronger issue, less a childish game and more mature/dark. And, like I said in another post, I'd love the major villain to be the least suspected friend who'd been playing good all the time, fooling Link and the player.

I would love to see a dark zelda game. MM was not dark in anyway, shape, or form. But truly dark zelda game, now the though of that puts a smile on my lips.(and yes I am a very dark person)

You sure that racism is a good idea to add?

Well killing zelda would be one key element but Hyrule and its people must fall into darkness, some people die other's are claimed by evil and link is forced to cut down the empty husks of people he once new and cared about, others just fade away before his eyes, to make a truly dark game link would probably have to be pushed to the edge but not over.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I wouldn't mind a darker story, but that doesn't necessarily mean the Zelda series absolutely needs one. I do believe if it's done right, it would be really good for the series, though. Mainly, I would just like to see the series get a bit more serious. I love the light hearted style Zelda games tend to be, but I really felt the games were taking the next step when TP came out with a more serious atmosphere. Have you ever seen a series where a character starts out as a kid, but then the series skips a few years and they're a teenager/adult showing that things are abit more serious? (Like Dragonball, or Naruto). That's the similar leap I want to feel with the Zelda games. The adventures of the past would be over and it'd be time to grow up abit. Again, I don't think there's anything wrong with the light hearted style nor do I think that it should disappear forever, only that a more serious style would be greatly appreciated.

Heck yes. I love darkness and dark themes. More, please, just as long as you don't break Zelda's innocence.

I liked the surreal, domed feelings of MM. Just intensify these, less truly surreal and more "This thing that's trying to destroy everything is terrifying and we can't fight it. Why do we even hope? We souls give up." That kind of darkness would preserve what Zelda is, as well as make it darker. Though I like how MM handled it, I don't want Wonderland. I want Hyrule. It's hard to explain, really, but I do want more darkness in Zelda. Nintendo should be willing to expand its horizons beyond Zelda's gameplay priorities, because frankly I care less about gameplay and more about innovation--physically and emotionally.

I understand what you mean Hylean_Monolith, Zelda's innocence and virtue would be what would ultimately save links soul in the end so it would have to be maintained otherwise it would likely get to dark by the end.

Giving link a more human set of characteristics would also make the story more serious, I mean other than being lazy at times he's practically flawless allowing his spirit, body and mind to corrode wear and tear would make the story more serious and Link easier for people to relate to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom