• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Would You Have Preferred a Week?

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
Three days was just right. They could stand to add more content but changing the three day cycle to a week would not help. Like everyone has been saying it would just be too much.

Din Akera

Sniper
I think there is pros and cons to this. Long story short, I'd probably pick no, that I am content with the three days. Let me elaborate.

Some of the high points would be that there would be more days for the NPC characters to interact and have places to be. We would get to see even more characterization in arguably the most developed NPCs in the series. That part I would immensely enjoy. I would hope that if we had seven days instead of 3 we would also be exposed to more characters and perhaps slightly more extensive/larger areas to explore. The sidequests could be more abundant or more extensive as well. Now, that last sentence is also one of the cons.

I think the downside to this idea is the extent to which the dungeons and sidequests would of had to be extended. Part of the allure of MM was the difficult and the time restriction. It is meant to be challenging. Complete each dungeon in under 3 days. Now if you were given those exact same dungeons. but seven days. It would be rare I think that you would ever have to reset time. Therefore, if the game were changed to be a seven day cycle the dungeons would have to be extended...by a lot. That is more than double the time we were originally given. This applies to sidequests as well. The Anju Kafei quest beign the first to come to mind. You would need more events spread out over more time. So if we were to double not only each dungeon and each side quest, plus add extra characters, areas, and new side quests sounds fantastic at first glance (because we will have so much more to explore and play), but it is also like redoing the entire game is it not?

Does redoing the entire game cause it to loose its heart and the essence of the game that we all love? MM is one of the games that in my opinion has the most soul and is the most put together and whole. When changes like this are proposed I think it is important to think about what the heart of the game is centred around, in MM the time clock and the three days is a very large part of that.

I think 3 days is good enough. I would probably get bored if the time limit was 7 days. You could probably do all the side quests, Temples within 3 days and you would have 4 days free time of nothing to do except wait for the 7th day. 3 days was long enough, and the content in the game is good enough for me, I wouldn't want to be doing more than what Majora's Mask finally gave us, I would of got bored easily.

to be honest i wish they could have had a free mode on the game for like after you beat it ( cause i like to screw around alot). also a tutorial for bosse like give you hints like if you have to use spin attack it could say " you must use your spinning wrath to defeat this demon" or something like that. but for me Definetly a free mode.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
A week seems like a bit much.

I never felt that the 3 day cycle was bad. It certainly brought a new challenge because you had to manage your time. I know if you messed up you have the Song of Time, the Song of Double Time, and the Inverted Song of Time. It would be really annoying and time consuming if you messed up something on day 7 and had to play the Double Song of Time 14 times. I'm glad they didn't stick with the 7 day cycle and made it only 3 days

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
to be honest i wish they could have had a free mode on the game for like after you beat it ( cause i like to screw around alot). also a tutorial for bosse like give you hints like if you have to use spin attack it could say " you must use your spinning wrath to defeat this demon" or something like that. but for me Definetly a free mode.

Why would you need a tutorial for bosses without any defense?

Majora's Mask is kind of my least favorite Zelda game, so I am biased in saying that I wish that there was at least 1 more day (not counting the 4th Day Glitch lol). But I agree that a week is too long, unless Myamoto was planning on having a lot more content added storywise (like another dungeon or 2).

I'm a bit mixed with this one, another couple of days would be great for completing temples but it would make the overworld more complicated and dragged out.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
72 Hours is still a pretty solid timespan. Remember that Nintendo was producing MM on a shoestring but also needed it done really fast. The Groundhog Day scenario is actually a super genius way of getting a ton of gameplay out of essentially not a whole lot of content.

An additional day would have meant adding more characters with their own sidequests and having to implement more routines for the characters to go about their business for that day. Essentially, simply that much more time spent on development for a game Nintendo was trying to get out the door asap.

It wouldn't have even necessarily meant adding more stuff for players to do anyway. More dungeons or additional game areas would not have been necessarily mandated by the inclusion of a fourth day or more. All it would have provided players is more time to do it. And players have all the time in the world to do however much they want anyway since progress doesn't end even if you let time run out.

Would more days have been nice to have in Majora's Mask? Yeah, of course. Gamers always want more. But even four more days wouldn't have necessarily meant having more to do, and it wouldn't have worked for Nintendo's project goals either.

the three days were hard enough to keep track of, i couldnt hack a week of that. however if all of those sidequests were just spread over a week then the game would have felt less like a world and that is one of MM's major strengths, i wouldnt like to see it degraded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom