• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Do It?

So I was watching a video on genetics today. And they were talking about this test you could take and it would test your genes to see if you were susceptible to certain diseases.

Would you choose to have this test done on yourself?

On this, I kinda fallow the "ignorance is bliss" view of life. If I had to worry everyday that tomorrow I could get really sick and possibly die, I would always be anxious and my quality of life would greatly decrease. I'm not on this earth to see how long I can live, but meerly making the most out what time I have left here. Whether its 2 days, 2 months, 2 years or 200 years :P

Godkarmachine

Angry Megaman Fan
Well, they can be useful for prevention
Alzheimer as an example can be diagnosed trough genetic codes and begin the teatment to prevent the development of the disease
With the "ignorance is bliss" I disagree to some extent... I know some cancer or AIDS patients start to decay when they are diagnosed, mainly because os psychological stuff (negativism, the fact that they take death for granted) but that depends of the person, if people remained positive then the impact would be lessened

So bottomline, I'll take the exam, specially because some close family member has Alzheimer thus I can be perceptible to it

Elvenknight

HyrulianBlackcat
I would prefer not too, somply because I want to live my life without the fear of getting sick for doing one thing or another. However, I have only gotten sick a couple times in my life, so I might take the test to see if I am vernable to many diseases. Like chicken pox, I have not gotten chicken pox nor the vaccine , yet I have not caught it.

Man, I hate it when I blabber on and on.:sweat:

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
I wouldn't just because I don't want to live in fear. I will probably get some form of Cancer as that is how most of my realitives have died. The rest died of old age. I really don't care. I'm gonna die sooner or later, I can't change that. (Unless the rapture happens:D)

I would want to know, I think, if it was something curable. Otherwise, no. Let me live in ignorance. Only if it's preventable or curable would I be willing to know.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
I can be a big worrier, and this would definitely set me off. No, I don't think I would do it. I imagine farther down the line most diseases will be treatable/curable in some fashion, and then such an exam would be helpful. But not at this point.

Hylian Hobbit

Delightfully Delicious ;P
I think it's definitely a good thing that we have that kind of mefical technology for when we need it, but I'm not going to get myself tested for anything unless I feel there is a chance that something is wrong with me. I've had a handful of medical problems recently, but they're chronic and aren't really diseases. So yeah, I'll get tested if I think there's something wrong, but not just for the hell of it.

I would want to know, I think, if it was something curable. Otherwise, no. Let me live in ignorance. Only if it's preventable or curable would I be willing to know.

That's the big risk with the test. it may be curable it might not be. You would have to live with the results either way. I personally couldn't do it.

I'm going to say "no". It's true that this test could be a great preventative to certain diseases, but for a lot of them like certain kinds of cancers, we really haven't found a "cure" for them yet. Knowing something like that would probably tweak me out quite a bit, so I'd prefer to be ignorant! :lol:

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I would have to. I couldn't live my life with the possibility that I could die from a disease. Obviously it is only a possibility but it would pay off in the future. When it was first realised that I was deaf, I was offered a lot of tests, one was whether it was a rare heart disease that would kill me before I reached 18. I was scared to have it done, being 8 years old, but I took it anyway and the results came back negative. I have been offered a genetics test now, I will probably take that too, that isn't as frightning.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
For me, I suppose it really depends on the disease. I mean, if it's something like an increased chance in catching the Rhino Virus (the common cold), then I really couldn't care less. If it's something like cancer, which my dad got at one point (don't worry, he got treated for it), then I'd love to give it a second thought and perhaps take the examination.

Alzheimers, I'm kinda iffy on. I'd prefer to not grow senile as I age, but it's one of the many experiences of life. So, I suppose in some cases, it is appropriate to learn about the future, whereas in others, it really doesn't matter much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom