• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would OOT Come in TP Graphics?

F

F618

It can be that OOT is going to be remaked in TP graphics. It would be cool if it comes. But would it come?

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
Who says this is going to happen? Personally I'd rather see them make an entirely new game. I've never quite understood the hype of remakes. To me it feels more like the developers are out of ideas and just recreate an exisiting game. Basically it feels like they want to please the fans.

Z

zeldim

I agree with both previous. I mean, what's the point? OoT is a great game and it has no use remaking it.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Honestly, if there weren't already about a million different versions of OoT, I wouldn't mind this remake. But since there are, it'd just be more of a nuisance than anything. Let's just stick to the new games.

I wonder how much time would that take? If it's just something little they could do on the side quickly without taking resources from new games, it might be pretty cool. The TP style is most certainly suited for OOT, and it would be nice to experience what is considered by a majority of fans to be the best Zelda has to offer in those graphics. But if it was a big project, taking a lot of time and effort and eventually the quality of the next Zelda title, I would say no. I'd rather have that new game instead of yet another OOT re-release.

No they would remake Legend of Zelda or Adventure of Link far before attempting this.

Sparky

Crawfish Prime
I don't feel it'd take too long. They have the game engine, and they have the Plot and puzzles already.

I get annoyed with all the people with the "Not another copy of OOT" logic though.

There's been like what....5 releases of it in total, not counting Master Quest because the dungeons are different, making it a different entry in itself, and all were valid rereleases.....

I mean, there was:

1:N64 Release - Justified by being the first release
2:N64 Gold Collectors Edition - Justified by being a collectors edition of the release, plus didn't it fix some things?
3:Collectors Edition - Justified in that it was aimed at GCN owners who didn't own a N64 and hadn't played it before
4:TWW Collectors Edition - Justified because the above collectors edition wasn't available everywhere, it wasn't in my home country to the best of my knowledge.
5:Virtual Console - Because we know how much moaning would of come of this had it not been on VC.....

Back on topic.... I'd be all for a remake in newer graphics. For those that don't regard it as the best game of all time it hasn't aged all that well, and whilst it was revolutionary in its times, its looks and controls are far from accessible, to the point that if it didn't have its nostalgia and over hyped status, it'd be a good deal less successful than it still is.

All opinion of course, to avoid unneeded drama.

Hanyou

didn't build that
First of all, I don't believe there is such a thing as a game that "ages badly." Ocarina looks, sounds, and plays the same now as it did upon release. It was arguably a masterpiece upon release, and it is arguably a masterpiece now. It does not require a remake. What that also means is that at best, a remake is a separate game--it cannot "ruin" or modify the quality of the original. If you don't like it, don't buy it. By the same token, it's not nostalgia alone propping up this game--there was something that made it good, and that very same thing still makes it good. It is the gamer's responsibility to approach the game objectively, re-release or not.

Secondly, I know this is about the graphics, so I'll focus on that. I still love Ocarina of Time's visual design. I actually think it's one of the more spectacular-looking Zelda games; every mountainside, house, and temple is rendered beautifully, with just the right amount of realism, but not too much. Major characters are handled well, though not perfectly.

I hate Twilight Princess' visual design. It seems to aim for too much realism without remotely achieving it; characters not only look imperfect, but repulsive; where it shoots for whimsy, it simply hits the bizarre; and the whole of Hyrule is rendered in shades of gold, brown, mud-green, or gray that cast a depressing pall over the entire landscape.

So I don't want "TP's graphics" used on a possible remake/ re-release of Ocarina of Time, if by "graphics" you mean to include visual design. Ocarina is not Twilight Princess; it has a different tone (a more playful one) that warrants its own unique graphical style. Where the occurrences in-game get epic, the visual design can respond accordingly, as it did in the original game. It still has a license to be jaw-droppingly spectacular.

Could they use the engine? Remember that Twilight Princess has a modified Wind Waker engine--and boy, is it versatile. I don't mind them modifying the engine to that extent in order to accomodate Ocarina's tone, but by the time such a release is made, there may just be a better engine out there.

So in short, my answer is that, while I am not against a remake or re-release of Ocarina with revamped graphics, the fundamental visual design should stay the same as the original Ocarina, meaning the final product should not look like Twilight Princess. As to whether it would happen, I can't say, but the answer is "perhaps." It's not unknown. Pokemon Blue/Red got that treatment in a sort-of rerelease, as did Link's Awakening, as did the NES Mario games. Starfox was "remade" into Starfox 64. Thus far, the same thing has not happened with N64 games, but as we speak Rare is revamping Perfect Dark for Xbox Live. Given Ocarina's popularity, I think such a remake or revamp is likely somewhere down the road.

Sparky

Crawfish Prime
First of all, I don't believe there is such a thing as a game that "ages badly." Ocarina looks, sounds, and plays the same now as it did upon release. It was arguably a masterpiece upon release, and it is arguably a masterpiece now. It does not require a remake. What that also means is that at best, a remake is a separate game--it cannot "ruin" or modify the quality of the original. If you don't like it, don't buy it. By the same token, it's not nostalgia alone propping up this game--there was something that made it good, and that very same thing still makes it good. It is the gamer's responsibility to approach the game objectively, re-release or not.
I feel a point is being missed here. I wasn't saying Ocarina of Time was a bad game. I was more saying that if you went and played Ocarina of Time with no idea of it's hype, no nostalgia to call on, only really knowing how long ago it came out, you would think it's a good game, but not the "Best game of all time" stance alot of the fans have. You'd think it has a decent plot, and that for it's time it had great design and controls.

For it's time being the "ages badly" part here. Not "It looks rubbish and has terrible controls for games these days".

Secondly, I know this is about the graphics, so I'll focus on that. I still love Ocarina of Time's visual design. I actually think it's one of the more spectacular-looking Zelda games; every mountainside, house, and temple is rendered beautifully, with just the right amount of realism, but not too much. Major characters are handled well, though not perfectly.

I hate Twilight Princess' visual design. It seems to aim for too much realism without remotely achieving it; characters not only look imperfect, but repulsive; where it shoots for whimsy, it simply hits the bizarre; and the whole of Hyrule is rendered in shades of gold, brown, mud-green, or gray that cast a depressing pall over the entire landscape.
I wouldn't say this is so much about "OOT HAZ HORRIBLE GRAPHICS" for people as much as it is "I'd like to see a game as well made as OOT with updated graphics and controls that better suit today, instead of suiting 10 years ago".

And if we're going to really bring our opinions in to this, I HATE Ocarina of Times' visual design. Like Super Mario 64, it was revolutionary for its time, but wearing the "Currentalgia glasses" I wear seeing all the 2Dimensional fences and chains and ropes and things in the middle of my 3Dimensional game. It just looks so out of place, but it's more acceptable in OOT than it is with the small amount of occurrences of it in TP, so yeah.

Lastly, LOLWUT.... The "I hate Real is Brown/Gray/Mud-Green in the Adult, NON TOON style games" confuses me. I thought it was the norm, child Link games are always bright, colourful and toonish and Adult Link games are always dark, real is and moody.

So I don't want "TP's graphics" used on a possible remake/ re-release of Ocarina of Time, if by "graphics" you mean to include visual design. Ocarina is not Twilight Princess; it has a different tone (a more playful one) that warrants its own unique graphical style. Where the occurrences in-game get epic, the visual design can respond accordingly, as it did in the original game. It still has a license to be jaw-droppingly spectacular.

Could they use the engine? Remember that Twilight Princess has a modified Wind Waker engine--and boy, is it versatile. I don't mind them modifying the engine to that extent in order to accomodate Ocarina's tone, but by the time such a release is made, there may just be a better engine out there.

So in short, my answer is that, while I am not against a remake or re-release of Ocarina with revamped graphics, the fundamental visual design should stay the same as the original Ocarina, meaning the final product should not look like Twilight Princess. As to whether it would happen, I can't say, but the answer is "perhaps." It's not unknown. Pokemon Blue/Red got that treatment in a sort-of rerelease, as did Link's Awakening, as did the NES Mario games. Starfox was "remade" into Starfox 64. Thus far, the same thing has not happened with N64 games, but as we speak Rare is revamping Perfect Dark for Xbox Live. Given Ocarina's popularity, I think such a remake or revamp is likely somewhere down the road.
No real argument here. I like the TP engine and you don't, no real drama as we both wouldn't mind a newer look Ocarina of Time whatever its form.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I feel a point is being missed here. I wasn't saying Ocarina of Time was a bad game. I was more saying that if you went and played Ocarina of Time with no idea of it's hype, no nostalgia to call on, only really knowing how long ago it came out, you would think it's a good game, but not the "Best game of all time" stance alot of the fans have. You'd think it has a decent plot, and that for it's time it had great design and controls.

Ocarina is actually my favorite game of all time, and I think it's a contender for objectively best game of all time. I think older games sometimes get unfair treatment--for example, I really grew up in the 16-bit era (though my first console WAS an NES) and I can appreciate a good-looking 8-bit game. Phantasy Star is an example--I never even saw the thing until 2006, but its production values floored me, even though it was an 8-bit game and a lot of people would say it looks "dated." That's what I mean about it being the "gamer's responsibility to assess the game fairly." On the other hand, probably because I'm so far removed from them, I can't appreciate the old Atari games. But that's due to my own bias, not any fault of the games themselves, and if I can't appreciate them as is, it's my responsibility to either leave them be or learn to appreciate them.

The same principle applies to Ocarina. A remake is not necessary because the unfairly biased gamers (note: I am not suggesting that makes them bad gamers--I said I was biased against older-than-8-bit games) should learn to appreciate the game--in the context of this topic, its graphical design--or leave it be. But if one is made, it can hardly change the Ocarina of Time that was released in 1998.

I think we disagree on some stuff here, but it's not a huge deal.

I wouldn't say this is so much about "OOT HAZ HORRIBLE GRAPHICS" for people as much as it is "I'd like to see a game as well made as OOT with updated graphics and controls that better suit today, instead of suiting 10 years ago".

And if we're going to really bring our opinions in to this, I HATE Ocarina of Times' visual design. Like Super Mario 64, it was revolutionary for its time, but wearing the "Currentalgia glasses" I wear seeing all the 2Dimensional fences and chains and ropes and things in the middle of my 3Dimensional game. It just looks so out of place, but it's more acceptable in OOT than it is with the small amount of occurrences of it in TP, so yeah.

Yep, we have a fundamentally different view about what a "fair assessment" of visual design is. I doubt we're going to persuade each other.

What I mean by visual design is what they evoked with the hardware they had. Ocarina had a part-anime, part-European fantasy, part-minimally realistic visual design. If the game were made today, it would look different than Twilight Princess. Good or bad, the design choices made with the available technology in Twilight Princess cannot and should not be applied to Ocarina of Time. Their stories, atmosphere, etc. are so different that applying TP's visual design to a remake of OoT would almost eliminate the point of a remake; it would be a different experience altogether. I would expect a remade (or refurbished) OoT to attempt to evoke the same atmosphere, story, etc. as the original with improved hardware.

Lastly, LOLWUT.... The "I hate Real is Brown/Gray/Mud-Green in the Adult, NON TOON style games" confuses me. I thought it was the norm, child Link games are always bright, colourful and toonish and Adult Link games are always dark, real is and moody.

No real argument here. I like the TP engine and you don't, no real drama as we both wouldn't mind a newer look Ocarina of Time whatever its form.

That's just my opinion about TP's visual design, "norm" or not. I tend to hate the "moody" stuff. It's the same problem I have with A Link to the Past (a "child" game, by the bye). Ocarina, by the way, had our first "adult" Link, to my knowledge (not counting Zelda II) and it was bright and colorful almost throughout without compromising the serious tone. But again, whether I like the design or not isn't entirely relevant to my point.

I think there are two things we can agree on:

1. An Ocarina of Time game with a "newer look" wouldn't be bad and
2. A remade Ocarina of Time would look different from Twilight Princess if there were sincerity to the design of the original.

Sparky

Crawfish Prime
2. A remade Ocarina of Time would look different from Twilight Princess if there were sincerity to the design of the original.

No need to chew on anything else as it's either accepted by us both or will never be accepted by us both.

However, what are you going by with this?

I never actually wanted a OOT remake to look exactly like TP, I was more saying "Well they have a game engine they can use with the TP engine" in saying that, they could use the Zelda Wii engine aswell.....or TWW engine, but really, I don't want to see any kind of OOT remake in Cel Shading.

Also, how is TP not colourful? If you take out the Twilight portions and the Twilight Palace which obviously wouldn't be in a OOT remake you do have a relatively colourful game.....

Anymore colourful and it would border on cartoonish....

G

gokul.beeshman

Wow I would love a remake of oot although I know that will never happen. Oot has gone closest to perfection a game has ever gone and I doubt Nintendo would want to damage it's rep by making a remake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom