• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Worst Ending

All that (nonexistent) buildup of Skull Kid as a villain was gone to waste when it was revealed that he was just a puppet. And why is the Mask sentient?

I disagree, the fact that the Skullkid was just a puppet, and that we learn of his past and true personality through memories of Tatl (like the drawing on the log near the Swamp) and his history with the Giants and all that made me like the Skullkid more. I was sympathetic to the character. He was a rebellious kid who tapped into some powerful magic but in the end was just some lonely child. I think it fits the dark lonely theme of MM wonderfully and makes for a more intriguing character.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
It just makes no sense. The mask should have escaped on its own. It had NO use for the Skull Kid and made him a very poor villain and uninteresting character. Rather than being a product of loneliness, he's just some...unlucky guy who got possessed.

Salem

SICK
Think about it this way, even if Majora was just an inanimate object, would Link REALLY kill Skull kid after learning his backstory? What else Link can do to him after all have been said and done. If Skull Kid had free will all this time, what will the appropriate punishment be, will the Fairies allow Link to hurt him, they are still his friends after all.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
All that (nonexistent) buildup of Skull Kid as a villain was gone to waste when it was revealed that he was just a puppet. And why is the Mask sentient?

Nonexistent buildup?

I thought it was an interesting villain. They took an innocent character from the last game and gave him a back story. I kind of felt sympathy for him when I learned more about him. You go through the entire game thinking Skull Kid is the one causing all of this chaos, but then at the end you found out he was only a puppet. I thought it was pretty interesting. It really fits the theme of the game.

Also, you said Skull Kid was a waste and then you complain about the Mask being sentient... What did you want then?

It just makes no sense. The mask should have escaped on its own. It had NO use for the Skull Kid and made him a very poor villain and uninteresting character. Rather than being a product of loneliness, he's just some...unlucky guy who got possessed.

Honestly, knowing the main villain was just a Mask the whole time would have been pretty stupid. There would have been no back story, except the ancient tribe. How do you even give a mask a back story? It would have been boring.

Unlucky guy who got possessed is more interesting than a mask that just wants chaos, in my opinion.

Think about it this way, even if Majora was just an inanimate object, would Link REALLY kill Skull kid after learning his backstory? What else Link can do to him after all have been said and done. If Skull Kid had free will all this time, what will the appropriate punishment be, will the Fairies allow Link to hurt him, they are still his friends after all.
^

If I remember correctly the fairies wanted to "save your/their friend".

SPOILER ALERT!

Ganondorf, Hyrule and the Master Sword being trapped under the sea was pretty lame, in my opinion. I never said it was bad though. I think it was pretty cool, but lore-wise it's dumb. Lore doesn't matter though, so that's why I didn't think it was bad.

I apologize for having an opinion. I forgot they were banned from the internet.

You're free to have an opinion, it's just odd.

"Dumb" is such a childish way of describing things. Wind Waker's ending kills off Ganondorf, Hyrule, and the Master Sword showing that it'd be an excellent ending to the series, and that Hylian society has to move on from the old land and discover a world for themselves, away from all the troubles of the past.

Saying it's "dumb" because all the important stuff is trapped under an ocean completely disregards the entire theme of the story.

DarkestLink

Think about it this way, even if Majora was just an inanimate object, would Link REALLY kill Skull kid after learning his backstory?

Who says he has to kill him? The game story could have ended with that scene on top of the tower before Majora's Mask became alive. Or we could have had the Skull Kid as the final boss, but simply end the battle by taking the mask away or convincing him to take it off.

will the Fairies allow Link to hurt him, they are still his friends after all.

Tael: No.

Tatl: Yes.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General

"Dumb" is such a childish way of describing things. Wind Waker's ending kills off Ganondorf, Hyrule, and the Master Sword showing that it'd be an excellent ending to the series, and that Hylian society has to move on from the old land and discover a world for themselves, away from all the troubles of the past.

Saying it's "dumb" because all the important stuff is trapped under an ocean completely disregards the entire theme of the story.

Ok, not "dumb" not "lame". Just disappointing, because I thought Hyrule would be saved. I don't know why, I just did for some reason

Lame? How so?

It's interesting to note that the game ends exactly where it begins. Hyrule is forgetten, the Master Sword is beneath the waves in yet another slumber, and Ganondorf is once again sealed away. This made the ending bittersweet in that you've saved the world but watched the last fragments of an ancient civilisation's memory wash away. Perhaps it's this bittersweetness that you view as lame? In which case I'd advise you to play the game again and look out for the themes that it's trying to put across even from the beginning on Outset Island.

Alright, it may be bittersweetness. I am starting my 3 heart run soon, so I will think about it when I play it again

Lore-wise the ending of WW contributed a lot more than most other games. It began what became the forging of an entirely new kingdom. So I'm not sure where you're going with that point.
I don't even know why I said most of what I said in that post to be honest. :P

Note to self: Don't post when you're so drowsy from allergy medication that you're about to pass out.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
All opinions from this user are hereby irrelevant, inane, and to be disregard at the nearest opportunity.

Well wind wakers ending did kinda make me mad at it. It was quite easily the stupidest wish possible.

anyways...

Deus Ex, the game was pure gold until you got to Area 51. Then it just kinda ended in the fact the game felt it needed an ending kinda ending. You had a multiple choice between 3 very unsatisfying endings.

Ya Mass Effect 3, but that would require a whole essay to explain properly. In short it contradicted both in content and in theme, the entire rest of the series before that point, and you had choose your favorite colored apocalypse because" we said so".

All 3 of these games I really love, but their endings just kinda make you forget for a moment all the good times before the ending.

It also kills off a real future for everyone. I mean when an island of 30 people is considered a blooming metropolis, and there is almost no food in the sea, wind waker might have been all colorful and stuff, but the world it was set in would kinda really suck to live in. Humanity was a near extinct species, and he makes this
wish to flood the world MORE!... Red lions, I hate you.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

The only problem with Wind Waker's ending was how little sense it made.

Darunia: We need to stop Ganondorf from destroying Hyrule!

~~~

Daphnes: Ganondorf wants to destroy Hyrule.

~~~

Daphnes: The Gods sealed Hyrule so it could be recovered and knew that destroying it would only grant Ganondorf's wish. Now we need to save Hyrule.

~~~

Daphnes: Link, I need you to get the Triforce of Courage for no reason, even though doing so will only aid our enemy.

~~~

Ganondorf: Despite my obvious attempts to destroy Hyrule and the goddesses knowing I want to destroy it, it turns out I never wanted to destroy Hyrule and always loved it.
Daphnes: Well now I need to destroy Hyrule!
Ganondorf: Weird how I didn't see you rush to the Triforce and get it....kinda...anti-climatic actually.
Daphnes: Not anti-climatic enough? Well what if I made the final battle anti-climatic by wishing for Link to win, guaranteeing his victory?
Ganondorf: But this is such an easy game! Do you really need to make the player feel that underwhelmed by me?!
*Ganondorf is defeated*
Daphnes: Never forgive, never forget...I was An Hero.
Zelda: *sob* P-Please stay with us...
Link: Daphnes NOOOOOOOO--Oh hey pirates. =)
Zelda: We got over that quickly. =D
~~~
Nayru: ...Wait, he destroyed it?! Wtf?
Din: Yeah, couldn't he wished Hyrule to live in prosper without Ganondorf's presence?
Farore: Or wish Ganondorf never existed? Or just never broke free from the Sacred Realm?
Din: And here I thought our plan was so simple to execute.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
The only problem with Wind Waker's ending was how little sense it made.

Darunia: We need to stop Ganondorf from destroying Hyrule!

~~~

Daphnes: Ganondorf wants to destroy Hyrule.

~~~

Daphnes: The Gods sealed Hyrule so it could be recovered and knew that destroying it would only grant Ganondorf's wish. Now we need to save Hyrule.

~~~

Daphnes: Link, I need you to get the Triforce of Courage for no reason, even though doing so will only aid our enemy.

~~~

Ganondorf: Despite my obvious attempts to destroy Hyrule and the goddesses knowing I want to destroy it, it turns out I never wanted to destroy Hyrule and always loved it.
Daphnes: Well now I need to destroy Hyrule!
Ganondorf: Weird how I didn't see you rush to the Triforce and get it....kinda...anti-climatic actually.
Daphnes: Not anti-climatic enough? Well what if I made the final battle anti-climatic by wishing for Link to win, guaranteeing his victory?
Ganondorf: But this is such an easy game! Do you really need to make the player feel that underwhelmed by me?!
*Ganondorf is defeated*
Daphnes: Never forgive, never forget...I was An Hero.
Zelda: *sob* P-Please stay with us...
Link: Daphnes NOOOOOOOO--Oh hey pirates. =)
Zelda: We got over that quickly. =D
~~~
Nayru: ...Wait, he destroyed it?! Wtf?
Din: Yeah, couldn't he wished Hyrule to live in prosper without Ganondorf's presence?
Farore: Or wish Ganondorf never existed? Or just never broke free from the Sacred Realm?
Din: And here I thought our plan was so simple to execute.
ya that sounds about right, sure the water rushing down made for a pretty awesome backdrop, then again maybe that was the whole point.

Salem

SICK
Who says he has to kill him? The game story could have ended with that scene on top of the tower before Majora's Mask became alive. Or we could have had the Skull Kid as the final boss, but simply end the battle by taking the mask away or convincing him to take it off.
In this scenario, Skull Kid have committed many crimes, did he? They resulted in deaths of several characters, just talking the mask away would be too forgiving I think.

DarkestLink

In this scenario, Skull Kid have committed many crimes, did he? They resulted in deaths of several characters, just talking the mask away would be too forgiving I think.

Well the game wanted to push on the message of forgiveness...but...in the end...there's just nothing to forgive him for that isn't ancient history by now.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
The worst ending I had for a game was F-Zero GX. It was so simple really. And they couldn't show Captain Falcon face? Why? What if we wanted to see what he looked like under his helmet.

Second, was Skyward Sword. Considering I hated the game to hell, the lame-*** ending made it even worse. It was pretty obvious that Ghirahim was gonna kidnap Zelda at the last moment, Demise appears out of nowhere and challenges Link to a duel-to-the-death, and we all know what's gonna happen. Demise talks all big and stuff but you can take him down in less than 5 minutes. FI GETS EMOTIONS AT THE WRONG TIME. WHY WEREN'T YOU WORIIED ABOUT LINK AT OTHER TIMES IN THE GAME. She seals herself in the Master SWord forever (THANK GOD!). Zelda and Link stay on the suface, which was also pretty obvious considering this is the first game in the timeline and they have to stay on the surface so that Hyrule can be established and the other Zelda games can happen.

So, yeah...

Salem

SICK
Well the game wanted to push on the message of forgiveness...but...in the end...there's just nothing to forgive him for that isn't ancient history by now.
First of all as I said, he caused the death of people in Termina, not only that, he almost dropped the friggin MOON, I doubt THAT'S "ancient history".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom