• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wind Waker Link Not Connected to the Hero of Time?

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
I just started up Wind Waker again, and I couldn't help but notice when the King of Red Lions said "He has no connection to the Ancient Hero". What I've wondered with timeline theory and all. In the future that Zelda sent Link back to at the end of OoT, there was no Link; no Link to carry on his bloodline as a Hero. So does that mean that the Link of Wind Waker is a totally different person and just a reincarnation of the Hero of Time (as Ganondorf states) that the Godesses created in order to stop Ganondorf from wreaking havoc on the Great Sea? I just want to know your opinions on this matter, bc i personally find Wind Waker to be a very fun and majestic game....

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The Link in The Wind Waker was just a reincarnated form of the Hero of Time, but no bloodline connection. Simple explanation, but it's that simple.

Exactly. A reincarnation doesn't have to have a bloodline connection. In fact, I think TP was the only one that clearly stated that Link was a part of the bloodline. The Hero's Shade said that "these techniques do not leave our bloodline." Our is the key word.

In WW, it is clearly stated that Link has no connection to the Hero of Time. And how could he? WW is on the Adult Timeline, and Link the Hero of Time left that timeline. So there's now way that WW Link could be connected to him.

While Link in WW is not related to OOT link, his family may have some connection to the Hero of Time, since they have his shield, and the tradition with green clothes. He may also be from the same bloodline TP link and the hero's shade, since he can perform backslice and helmsplitter, wich is said by the hero's shade to only be possible for people of their blood line.

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
While Link in WW is not related to OOT link, his family may have some connection to the Hero of Time, since they have his shield, and the tradition with green clothes. He may also be from the same bloodline TP link and the hero's shade, since he can perform backslice and helmsplitter, wich is said by the hero's shade to only be possible for people of their blood line.

See that's what I thought...I totally understand that it says within the game that Link has no connection to the Hero of Time, but the shield totally stumped me because it says that it is believed to have been owned by the Hero of Time himeself, although the Mirror Shield within the game resembles the traditional Hylian Shield more than the regular one. I understand the timeline well and TP is on the other child timeline after Majora's Mask so it has no connection to Wind Waker. Also the Hero of Time isn't referred to in TP as the "Ancient Hero" is only referred to which makes us believe that the Hero's Clothes once belonged to the Skyward Sword Link...Anyways what also bothered me is that at the end of OoT, Ganondorf says that he will go after Link and Zelda's ancestors when he breaks free of his imprisonment, and since this Ganondorf is the same one in the Wind Waker its hard to rule that reference out. Once again, I understand that Ocarina of Time was made before Wind Waker and Nintendo didn't originally intend that connection, for Zelda Theorists its a quote that is important. So im just struggling to believe that there is not one ounce of connection between the two even though the King of Red Lions states the obvious. As for the Wind Waker Link being of the bloodline of the very last of the Hylian Knights (which was revealed to have been all wiped out during the war before Ocarina of Time), maybe one had escaped and contiuned this bloodline thus Link's family possessing the shield. This is just very odd to me that Link would have absolutely no connection to the Hero of Time, or a Hylian Knight even though the Hero of Time left the adult timeline...Sorry if this was supposed to be in the Zelda Theory domain, i didnt mean to take it this far :P

Ganondork

goo
Exactly. A reincarnation doesn't have to have a bloodline connection. In fact, I think TP was the only one that clearly stated that Link was a part of the bloodline. The Hero's Shade said that "these techniques do not leave our bloodline." Our is the key word.

In WW, it is clearly stated that Link has no connection to the Hero of Time. And how could he? WW is on the Adult Timeline, and Link the Hero of Time left that timeline. So there's now way that WW Link could be connected to him.
I think the exact same thing. TP is the only one where there is concrete evidence that Link has any bloodline. I suppose they did that for a reason: who did Link have children with? It could have been anyone, Malon (in OoT there was definately the idea of marriage coming from Talon) or even the princess herself! I don't think Nintendo would want to bother with such a thing, so reincarnation is the only possible way.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Yes, Zelda sends Link back after Adult Ocarina finishes, so Link's bloodline on that side is over (technicaly). However, Link and Zelda are always somehow reincarnated, so theres a new Link, get it?

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
No proof of what I'm saying just a thought I always had.

I always thought that the Hyrule in TP could be years after the sea in WW has receded.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

There's really no logical way for Link of Ocarina of Time to have descendants in the Adult Timeline, seeing as he was removed from it by being sent back and changing everything. So, yes, The Wind Waker's Link has no literal bloodline connection to Ocarina of Time's Link, although I'm inclined to think there may have been some closeness between the earlier Link and the later one's ancestors, seeing as in The Wind Waker he grew up on an island with some obvious heritage leading back to the Hero of Time. As for the whole reincarnation thing, do they actually say that in game? Because I'm not inclined to think he's a literal reincarnation. Just another brave hero deemed worthy of the Triforce of Courage. Anyone who might have said that in-game is probably unlikely to have any real knowledge whether or not people in general are reincarnated at all. I feel like it would kind of ruin the character for me if he was in that sense the same person as the Hero of Time. He maintains the Hero of Time's legacy, but (I think) has his own spirit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom