• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will/Should the PS5 and Xbox Series X Launches Be Delayed?

A two-tiered question: Will the PS5 and Xbox Series X launches be delayed? And should they be delayed?

I don't think the console launches will be delayed but I think there's a good argument that they should be.

First of all, most console manufacturing takes place in China, which is where the coronavirus originated from, so obviously the manufacturing time table for prototypes and what not has been affected.

Second, the PS4 and Xbox One were unveiled in February 2013 with November 2013 launches. We're now in March of this year with scarce details about either system and E3 itself cancelled.

So what do you think? Will coronavirus have an effect on the new consoles launching this year? Obviously, human lives and health take priority over new consoles so it's a question worth asking.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Considering how fast the switch came out I don't think not announce is an issue, the issue would solely be because the virus gets worse and manufacturing slows down so much that they can't produce enough to meet demand. I mean the Switch it's self is already going to take a few hits cuz of it.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Not something I really considered. A delay wouldn't really hurt things since neither console has had a solid announcement in regards to specs, features, and exclusives. I don't know how much each part of those groups could work on those things with corona, but more time in the oven surely won't hurt things. I feel like if either Microsoft or Sony sets a release date for their new console, the other will rush theirs regardless.

I hope they'll do the right thing and just go with what the world thinks is best to handle the virus. Releasing a new console will create mass gatherings, which is kind of what we're trying to avoid, and working conditions may not be ideal at the moment, but I guess we'll see.

I don't think the time between announcement and release is really a factor, we all know they're coming.

I know Sony want to release the PS5 during the holiday season to maximise early adopter sales, missing that and releasing later when people have burnt out their funds may impact sale a little bit but the PS5 will still sell gangbusters.

I really don't think a release would hurt all that much. But at the same time I wouldn't want to buy a console that has people riddled with flu putting it together, so I'd be fine with a delay and think it's probably the best thing to do if the virus doesn't burn out soon.

I won't be buying a PS5 until its final revision anyway.

Last edited:
The consoles don't have to launch at the end of the year. The Switch launched relatively well in March.
A good launch can happen at any time of the year as can a bad launch.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Whenever they want to release the consoles is when they will be released.

Though, I really don't care about the PS5 and Xbox Series X, being primarily a PC gamer who owns a vacation home in the Land of Nintendo. So to me, it's just whatever. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom