• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will Link Ever Get the Girl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've all wondered, well atleast some of us have, if Link will actually get the girl or atleast any girl for that matter. I personally don't think he will ever be with someone during a game. But there is still hope. If I was Link I would have definately gone with Malon, or maybe the Zora princess from OOT since they WERE engaged according to her.

I want to hear what you think about whether or not he will get the girl in the future. Also, do you think he should have been with someone in one of the previous games and who you'd want/think it to/should be.

R

RMM

Well Link did get the girl in Zelda II technically and also he got multiple other girls depending on how many times you got your health revived in the towns lol

David

But you called me here...
I think it would be interesting to see if Link actually got a girl. But I don't think that its completely necessary for the plot unless the plot is heavily dependent on Link getting a girl. I don't really see Nintendo doing that in the near future. They might, but I doubt it.

Din Akera

Sniper
We've all wondered, well atleast some of us have, if Link will actually get the girl or atleast any girl for that matter. I personally don't think he will ever be with someone during a game. But there is still hope. If I was Link I would have definately gone with Malon, or maybe the Zora princess from OOT since they WERE engaged according to her.

I want to hear what you think about whether or not he will get the girl in the future. Also, do you think he should have been with someone in one of the previous games and who you'd want/think it to/should be.

I don't believe he ever will in the main plot. Remember. Link is supposed to be a port for the player to feel like they are in the game. It is supposed to be you playing, therefore, if you were to 'get the girl' this might not translate well to certain players (ones who are not interested in romance, female players, or players with differing sexual preferences, or ideas about Link's sexuality). I don't believe there is any reason or advantage for this to be part of the plot.

This is also something for fan to play with, debate, and create fan fiction on. If there was to ever be a concrete 'this is where Link ends up in his love life' statement, then all of that is out the window. Nintendo wants to encourage fans to get involved in the story, theorize, make fan work, etc because it all improves interest and sales. There will stay away from anything that will decrease the fan base.

But we do see expressions of love in the games:

MM holds one of the best examples with Anju and Kafei and Lulu and Mikau, showing Nintendo does want to have focus on relationships, but since those two do not involve Link, I'm going to let it alone.

In OoT Ruto give Link and engagement ring/Zora's sapphire during the main plot. But there is no expression of 'love' here. Ruto simply states that her giving him the stone means they are now engaged and when you meet her again 7 years later she refers to you as a bad husband. Fan work has made these two statements into a very large deal, making it appear that Ruto is in love with Link, but the actual in game material has always made me see it as a way of thinking, such as with arranged marriages, not as emotion. Malon, again, fan fiction has made this a large deal, but in game the only reference to Link and Malon comes from her father who jokes with Link about you marring her. He quickly follows the statement up with 'nah i'm just kidding I think you are a little young for that'. Saria, a simply childhood friend, again, fan fiction blew this upward, nothing in game accept a token of her friendship given to you at the beginning. Nabooru, she meets link when he is a child and tells him she will make him a promise, this promise is never mentioned again until Link saves her and she comments on 'what a fine young man you grew up to be, she should have kept her promise she made those 7 years ago'. Now, this could be construde as a romantic statement, but that would mean she felt that way immediately after meeting him, as a child. ... Nintendo makes E and T rated games. That right there is not E or T ratings. I don't believe this is a romantic statement at all. Now, to contradict myself completely, all of my above statements have counter arguments, but i do not believe that they are solid enough to support any kind of romantic relationship hinting with only in game material. In this game, i feel Link is actually afraid of the ladies to some extent! He literally runs away from Saria's emotion, he is shocked and confused by Ruto's displays, and never really responds or understand Nabooru. Malon seems to be the only one he isn't nervous around.

In TP, we do see an expression of infatuation toward Link from the three girls standing outside the STAR game tent. They are smitten with Link's talents and drop hearts for him. Lilia is the most brought up character out of this game when it comes to romance. It is never actually stated that they are together, but is hinted at though text. Now, this could also be twisted as a deep seeded friendship between them from growing up in the same town together. Midna is another character brought to light with romance within the games. Again, I chalk this one up to fan fiction largely as well. In game we see the progression of Link's dislike or hate for Midna to a friendship, to a strong friendship and reliance. But, at the end of the game, Link's reactions as well as Midna's reactions to their separation suggest some deeper meaning, though it is never stated. I would be willing to admit to Midna maybe feeling something more than deep friendship for Link, but I'm not sure I would go so far to swing it the other way.

In respect to all my above mentioned ladies, Link does not speak, which does make it hard to know how he is truly feeling...other than when he runs away. :P

As to my own personal opinions, I really dislike the idea of Link and Zelda being together as a couple, and for the most part I can't even express why. I feel it is simply that I don't like Zelda as a character, I find her quite annoying and helpless/useless throughout the games. In TP, i was honestly surprised when she expressed use of the golden bow, I thought she was going to give it to me (similar to light arrows in OoT). And I was very satisfied that she didn't even appear in MM :P

Who I would like to see Link with cannot be disclosed in this thread, therefore, they will remain safely locked away in my head.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
Wind Waker Link and Tetra populated a hole continent between Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. I'd say he definitely got the girl.
You could argue that Zelda and Tetra never hooked up at all. If they did than wouldn't Link be the prince? Even if they did how could two people populate an entire continent? The residences of the island of the Great Sea probably moved in.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
oneMzero (IMO for you people who don't get it), yes. He definately got the girl. I mean, TP makes it really obvious about Link and Ilia, OoT makes it relatively ambiguous about him and Ruto, Malon, and Zelda, Link's Awakening seems to indicate his feelings for Marin ("You got Marin!!! Is this your big chance?"), and the UNOFFICIAL movie The Hero of Time kinda really ruins the fan speculation on a ZeLink relationship.

However, that is an opinion. One could say that he seemed to fall for Midna in TP (based on the cradling when she smashed the diamond barrier as well as him running at her reborn state when he sees her), that he went back in time then to Termina at the end of OoT and thus never saw them again except for their counterparts, and that he never actually "got" Marin in LA because it was a dream and because Tarin had to be, for want of a better term (someone PLEASE tell me a better term than this if you can), a cockblocker.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
You could argue that Zelda and Tetra never hooked up at all. If they did than wouldn't Link be the prince? Even if they did how could two people populate an entire continent? The residences of the island of the Great Sea probably moved in.
Some of them, sure. And there probably was a tribe of Hylians that lived in the land of the Spirit Tracks when Link and Tetra got there. And yet, the royal family (which consisted only of Zelda/Tetra at the end of Wind Waker) is still around. Someone must have knocked her up. And I doubt that it was one of her crew.

One could say that he [...] never actually "got" Marin in LA because it was a dream and because Tarin had to be, for want of a better term (someone PLEASE tell me a better term than this if you can), a cockblocker.
Chaperone?

Marin survived the dream as a seagull, though.

D

DekuScrub

Yeah, and there was already people there, because they were following the spirits of good already.

ANYWAYS...

I don't think Link liked Marin, but I'm pretty sure Marin liked Link in Link's Awakening.

I'm almost sure A Link to the Past Link and Zelda hooked up after the whole thing blew over and the Triforce righted everything again.

Ocarina of Time Link got some. Probably alot of some. Come on! He got to choose between Zelda, Saria, Ruto, Nabooru, and Malon. More than I get, anyways.

I don't know about Minish Cap, Link and Zelda seemed more like friends...

Twilight Princess Link was definately with Illia. Zelda seemed to old for that Link for some reason.

And Wind Waker Link definately got Tetra. Tetra seems more uncouth and unruly than Zelda. She would've sent the whole crew to Windfall to get something and held Link back and tied him to a freaking bed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom