• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will Link Be the Main Character?

L

linklover101

Miyamato said SS would change the zelda series, so what if they changed it so you played as someone else, or play as multiple characters, or maybe having the option to play the game as Ganondorf himself? (I'f the villain is Ganon)

I love it when they make it so you can play as evil, has anyone ever heard of sonic battle 2?

Last edited by a moderator:

Djinn

and Tonic
I am assuming he meant that SS would change the way Zelda games or adventure games as a whole would be played. Not that there would be any different playable characters. The method that they designed for the gameplay is revolutionary and will make Wii's version of Twilight Princess seem way too simple.

That said I did love the parts in WW where you could control Makar and Medlii. That did add a little extra something to the game that other Zelda titles have not tried. If that returns in SS for a dungeon or two I would love it.

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
Um, I think you're looking at this from a different point of view. They mean probably by the controls, and how the dungeon to field formula is now like dungeon-field and such.

Austin

Austin
Given that the trailer showed the player as Link and nothing but Link, I think it's a stretch to say that he won't be the main character. It's possible that they'll have small sections where you can control others like the ones found in The Wind Waker, but if they planned on making it a major component I feel like they would have shown it in the trailer. It seems obvious that the main point of change are the motion controls.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
As far as I am aware, Link will always be the main character for Zelda. I can't see nintendo replacing him anytime so. Doing so would be an incredibly daring and dangerous move. Getting rid of their iconic figure would destroy a large amount of their fanbase.

Fans, for about 20 years have been playing as Link. He's the main character in every single game. The elements were you can play as other characters were just thrown in for fun. No other character will usurp Link as the icon for Zelda...as far as i'm aware... o_O

I don't believe that we will controll a different character, and have little doubt that Link will be the main character in the games yet again. I don't see why this would occur so late on, or at all really, and I feel that we'd have already found out about it in some way, unless Nintendo are keeping a 100% secret outside of the Zelda team. All the trailers that we have seen show the player controlling Link, and no one else. We might get something like in Twilight Princess where if you struck a Cucco with your sword enough times you were able to partially take over it, but I don't think it will be much longer than that, to be honest.

I don't think I'd really be able to adapt to Link not being the main character, maybe if we got to play as another character every once in a while, then it might be pretty cool, like in Bowser's Inside Story, in which we get to play as Bowser as well as Mario and Luigi. It could possibly work to, but I think it would be best suited as a DS game. But I don't think Nintendo will ever pull a move off like that, so I can't really see Link not being the main character in the series, ever.

Djinn

and Tonic
As far as I am aware, Link will always be the main character for Zelda. I can't see nintendo replacing him anytime so. Doing so would be an incredibly daring and dangerous move. Getting rid of their iconic figure would destroy a large amount of their fanbase.

Fans, for about 20 years have been playing as Link. He's the main character in every single game. The elements were you can play as other characters were just thrown in for fun. No other character will usurp Link as the icon for Zelda...as far as i'm aware... o_O

At the same time I think it would interesting if Nintendo ever decided to try more spinoff titles for the Zelda series as they have for the Mario series. We already have Luigi's mansion, Wario Land/World, Yoshi's Story and Princess Peach. Not sure if Donkey Kong Country really fits into that category though. But the Zelda series has more than enough side characters to have their own title (other than Tingle collecting rupees) for a side quest.

Just not in a main series Zelda game. Those are reserved strictly for Link.

Ghosi

Schmetterling
What Miyamoto probably mean by "changing the series" is probably a new way of playing, dungeons, and more info about the timeline. Of course the hero will probably never change; how can you have a game without our green pal? :)

Pikacondon

Title.
I think multiple characters would be cool, fresh, and fun. Even though they already did it, with Medili and Makar in WW, Gongoron in PH, Phantom Zelda in ST, and partially with Dominon Rod Statues in TP, A new, great character other than link playable would be awesome in SS. Plus, Playing another file as Ganon/Gannondorf would be cool, I LOVE the "play-a-file-with-the-option-of-being-the-villain" concept, It happened in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, and it will be 99.9% more epic in Zelda, as Ganondorf (or whoever the villain will be),In SS!

Last edited:

Ghosi

Schmetterling
I think multiple characters would be cool, fresh, and fun. Even though they already did it, with Medili and Makar in WW, Gongoron in PH, Phantom Zelda in ST, and partially with Dominon Rod Statues in TP, A new, great character other than link playable would be awesome in SS. Plus, Playing another file as Ganon/Gannondorf would be cool, I LOVE the "play-a-file-with-the-option-of-being-the-villain" concept, It happened in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, and it will be 99.9% more epic in Zelda, as Ganondorf (or whoever the villain will be),In SS!

You skipped Kafei in MM! It was only a sidequest, but it was still important.

That would be interesting!!! I'm guessing that Link is still going to be the main playable character unless Skyward Sword's big gimmick revolves around controlling a character other than Link. It's not really that ridiculous, though, to say that you won't be able to control other characters. It's been done a quite few times before, as mentioned above. Really though, I don't think any of them are doing what they do out of free will. It would be interesting to see a playable character with the freedom Link has, as in they can go anywhere, do anything, and talk to NPC's. Maybe it could like some RPG's where you can switch who you control and the other just follows you everywhere until you decide to switch.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I am almost 100% sure that he didn't this. I think what he meant was gameplay, like adding different elements into it, and that way he would make SS different.

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
I think that by "change the series" they're talking about the WiiMotion Plus controls. That will probably change the series. The other thing that may be the changer is the new concept of dungeons he's been talking about, or it could be something we don't even know yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom