• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors Will Hyrule Warriors Do Well? + Will You Buy?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
There was an article on this site put up earlier saying HW had only sold 57% of its shipment in japan and sold 69,000 copies in its first week. That is not particularly good. However I believe Hyrule Warriors is not really appealing to the Japanese anyway and it would be best not to look too into their sales as an indication of how it will do in the west. First off it's a Zelda spinoff and Zelda is just not popular in Japan. Warriors however is like the Japanese COD and always sells well over there, however HW has a tiny roster of characters in comparison to the other warriors games and a tiny roster of characters a bunch of people aren't even interested in is not going to sell a game at all particularly if there are other warriors spinoffs with the same sort of gameplay and large rosters of characters that are loved in Japan. That's why I think it will not sell well and is not selling well in Japan, feel free to put your own thoughts on this in a post.

I want to talk now about how it will sell in the West. I'm kind of anxious to see how it does, I want it to do well of course. I'll be getting it on release day and do my bit for the sales. I can see however that others might not be so tempted to do so. Lets face it, the people who will buy it are Zelda and Warriors fans. Warriors does not do well in the west so there's probably not that many hardcore warriors fans over here. Zelda fans however will buy Wii U's for Zelda as Zelda is a system selling brand. However, not all fans see this as a Zelda game, (which it kind of isn't) and might therefore wait for Zelda U to buy a Wii U. I would guess there are 3 million loyal fans seeing as that is roughly how many bought SS, probably a few more. If 1/3 pulled their weight then we could definitely see a million in sales in the west which is the number the developers wanted. Good western advertising would be a huge benefit to the sales, I know they hyped the game right up before the JP release date and it it was probably wasted on them, it would have been more sensible to release globally with more info and heavy advertising up to release date. But there you go, they think they know what they are doing, we'll see if they do or not.

So, what are your thoughts then on how well the game is doing and will do? And will you be getting yourself a copy?

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
no + yes

I think there's a very small population attracted to both the gameplay and the characters. As you said, those only attracted to the gameplay (i.e. DW fans) are scarce outside Japan. And, besides the characters, this doesn't offer anything they can't get from other recent and upcoming DW titles.

So it'll really depend on who's willing to buy the game just to play as their favorite Zelda characters. I am. But yeah, it's not worth buying a Wii U for.

The game will sell but not so well I think.
And yes I have preordered the collectors edition even though a scarf in the 11 month of summer Australia has is very silly indeed.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I doubt it'll sell well, probably shift a reasonable number but won't light up the world, and I will not be buying it. As I said in another thread, this is just Dynasty Warriors with a Zelda skin, and I dislike Dynasty Warriors. So no intention of getting it.

I think that it will have some trouble selling as well as other Zelda. I can understand that, I mean, it's only natural for long-time fans of the series to be apprehensive or even annoyed at the shift of gameplay styles. But to be frank, I never really cared much for most 3D Zeldas, so to me, this feels like a nice breath of fresh air. I'm perfectly fine with the game adapting another playstyle, as long as the style itself can be fitted to feel natural in the Zelda series. I wish I could get it, but I don't have a Wii U. >o<

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Hyrule Warriors is a niche game, it will not sell very well at all. I am definitely getting it so I can splurge my channel with its load; i will upload videos of it on Day Zero access night.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Speaking from my own perspective, I think it will sell well. It looks like a lot of fun to me. Though, I know nothing about Dynasty Warriors or its fanbase, so I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak on it. I definitely want to get it, but there's zero chance of me getting a Wii U before my next birthday, so it's gonna be a while.

Speaking from my own perspective, I think it will sell well. It looks like a lot of fun to me. Though, I know nothing about Dynasty Warriors or its fanbase, so I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak on it. I definitely want to get it, but there's zero chance of me getting a Wii U before my next birthday, so it's gonna be a while.
I know nothing about Dynasty Warriors either. But if you want to get the feel of Hyrule Warriors game play without spoilering yourself with Hyrule Warrior streams on youtube, then look up gameplay footage of "Mystic Heroes" for Gamecube on Youtube. It's the same base gameplay just runes instead of badges and only one very small non main story, alternate game mode to play.

I think it will sell well enough cause because the man in the green tunic on the front. I played a couple Dynasty games when I was younger and kinda got into them. I'm definitely going to give it another go with HW on day one.

Mido

Version 1
The best case scenario for Hyrule Warriors, as least in the West, is for a modest success. Warriors games generally get mixed to positive results in terms of sales, but mainly in reviews. the added Legend of Zelda label to the game will add a considerable boost to the formula's sale, but ultimately not enough to make it a resounding commercial success, at least outside of Japan.

As a Warriors fan, I'm definitely going to pick this game up. I've been playing the Dynasty series since its fourth, and arguably its best installment, and have enjoyed the series since. There's also the Orochi series that I've played, but I won't get into that as I am running on a tangent. Also, G-King, you make a really good point with this statement:

G-King said:
[...]however HW has a tiny roster of characters in comparison to the other warriors games and a tiny roster of characters a bunch of people aren't even interested in is not going to sell a game at all particularly if there are other warriors spinoffs with the same sort of gameplay and large rosters of characters that are loved in Japan.

Speaking for myself in this regard, the lack of roster depth does serve as a turn off to me, as I feel like Hyrule Warriors has way more potential than that of what is being offered in the final package. Despite my own opinion on whether this game really lives up to its full potential, I do plan on buying the game, and enjoying it for what it is. :yes:

Judging from the initial Japanese sales, Hyrule Warriors will probably sell worse than standard Dynasty Warriors games in Japan and better in the West. Dynasty Warriors is a series that appeals highly to the Japanese home audience in both gameplay and presentation. It's more of an obscure franchise in other regions. The Zelda brand name gives Hyrule Warriors a lot more exposure and might help the Dynasty Warriors pick up some extra fans.

Despite my concerns that Hyrule Warriors will be a shallow experience, I'll still be picking it up near release to try something different from a Zelda spin-off.

however HW has a tiny roster of characters
the lack of roster depth does serve as a turn off to me
Do you both know what your saying?
Hyrule Warriors has 13 playable characters. That's heaps. Almost too many. Mystic Heroes for Gamecube (same gameplay as Hyrule Warriors) had 4 characters. And it didn't feel too bad. Maybe 5-6 would have been better (the ones from the playstation release of the game. Hyrule Warriors 13 is many playable characters. I think someone is being given a free slice of cake but is complaining that they didn't get the while cake (ie ungrateful for what is in the game now).

We will play the 13 PCs in the game and we will all enjoy them. And learn all their strong and weak points slowly. It's more than enough I think.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Personally I don't want it, the trailers are showing it as exactly the same thing as Girahim's final boss battle, except with crazy fantastic HD graphics. No dungeons or freeroam, no dice :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom