• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wii U Trophy System

Hey guys, simple question. Should the Wii U have a trophy/Achievment system. I don't see why not. It would dwork (and Considering the amount of stuff sony and microsoft has ripped off for Nintendo, Nintendo should do it at least once). If you do, how should it work. Coins, plaques, do you get bonuses? see ya?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Yes, it totally needs one. The reason I like the achievement system is because I see it as replay value and because it could make the game more challenging then it already is. Isn't it more satisfying when you get rewarded for doing something in a game? You get the most satisfaction out of a game when you're able to replay it and challenge yourself in it with a reason to want too.

Video gamers I guess you can say are competitive and in a way the achievement/trophy system is seen as a bragging right. You can compare your achievements with your friends and whatnot so you can show off what you've done in a game. So yeah, they should totally go for it. As for how it works, well I think they should come in the form of "coins". And with Nintendo only games the "coin" system should work as a form of currency. That way you get free stuff for supporting Nintendo by buying their products and actually getting the most out of their products. You could buy figurines, Mii related things, games, etc.

And also, the "coins" you spend shouldn't just disappear because that's still part of your bragging rights, they should just lose value. So that way your coins still increase and you have something to show for your hard work. Well that's what I think they should do. They got to be creative with it, this is Nintendo after all.

Last edited:

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Absolutely! I love getting achievements and trophies and things like that, but I only get them on my computer/iPad games because I don't own a PS3 or XBox 360, unfortunately. :(

Yes defiantly! I love it on PS3, and it sucks how the Wii doesn't have it. What would make it better is some kind of reward for doing specific achievements, like UbiSoft's Uplay. Certain achievements in some Ubisoft games give you UPoints, which can buy you some extra downloadable content for your game, like new areas to explore in Assassin's Creed, new guns in Splinter Cell, etc.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Most definitely, I loved getting achievements on the 360, trophies are the exact same...Nintendo said that the Wii U online play would resemble that of Gamertags/PSN IDs rather than the frisky friend code service that the WIi and 3DS is runnin'. So, if Wii U is going to get easier friend requests and better online, a trophy system should be a given! I could just think, we get achievements for doing stuff in Skyward Sword for example. "Three Heart Vanquisher" would be one such achievement/trophy, had the game start us out with three instead of six hearts.

Nintendo needs to catch up with Sony and Microsoft, so trophy system should definitely be implemented in the Wii U.

Yup, trophies/achievements are always fun to obtain and I hope Nintendo implements them in the Wii U.

However, what would it be called? I'd name it the "Checklist System."

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
For the sake of conversation, I'm going to say that Nintendo shouldn't really do this. You all bring up great points, and I actually completely agree with Turo602 and VanitasXII in terms of reasoning behind their opinion. But while they say things about having achievements for Skyward Sword and how gamers are competitive, it really isn't in Nintendo's nature to have achievements. I mean sure, Super Smash Bros. Brawl had "achievements" in a sense of you unlocked things for completely specific tasks, but other than that Nintendo really isn't the type of company to penalize casual from hardcore gamers with achievements. <-- What I mean by that is having achievements would make casual gamers, who just play to play, feel penalized compared to hardcore players, who would be willing to collect every achievement.
Nintendo is a company known for being family-orientated and their also known for connecting with casual AND hardcore players. Having an achievement system would be fun, but it would also pull Nintendo away from what they're known for.

/minirant. :lol:

Big Octo

=^)
For the sake of conversation, I'm going to say that Nintendo shouldn't really do this. You all bring up great points, and I actually completely agree with Turo602 and VanitasXII in terms of reasoning behind their opinion. But while they say things about having achievements for Skyward Sword and how gamers are competitive, it really isn't in Nintendo's nature to have achievements. I mean sure, Super Smash Bros. Brawl had "achievements" in a sense of you unlocked things for completely specific tasks, but other than that Nintendo really isn't the type of company to penalize casual from hardcore gamers with achievements. <-- What I mean by that is having achievements would make casual gamers, who just play to play, feel penalized compared to hardcore players, who would be willing to collect every achievement.
Nintendo is a company known for being family-orientated and their also known for connecting with casual AND hardcore players. Having an achievement system would be fun, but it would also pull Nintendo away from what they're known for.

Hmm, I tend to disagree. An achievement system doesn't change the target audience of a game, at all. In my experience, there have never really been instances that I've felt like less of a gamer just because an achievement. Also, plenty of family games have achievements.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam

You never know, they could put a feature where you can turn it off. But I do agree with Octo here. I know many casual gamers and gamers who could care less for the achievements/trophies system. That shouldn't stop anyone from playing games. Also, have you not seen the 3DS dude? Nintendo is trying to appeal to hardcore gamers while still keeping their original audience. And from what I know, the Wii U is the same way. You already have games like Batman Arkham City, Assassin's Creed, Ghost Recon, etc making their way on the Wii U. Nintendo is being hardcore while still being family oriented. So I don't see why Nintendo can't do it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom