• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wii U Nintendo Network Will Be Free! Take That Xbox Live!

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Nintendo and Sony have had free wifi since the Wii and PS3 have come out...no to mention that both systems had built-in wifi. Microsoft still charges for Live and used to charge around $60 for an adapter. I believe that they finally put in wifi in the 360 just last year, though. Nintendo and Sony never charged to enable your console to have the ability to go online, or to use their online services. Microsoft was just the opposite, which just shows how greedy they are.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Microsoft still charges for Live and used to charge around $60 for an adapter.

Actually it was $100; I remember my pains with the 360 Elite not having Wi-Fi. I didn't have an Ethernet Cable around so...yeah. Couldn't enjoy my product until I bought a new modem for a totally different purpose, and even then I didn't get the proper enjoyment because Live decided to bork on me.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Actually it was $100; I remember my pains with the 360 Elite not having Wi-Fi. I didn't have an Ethernet Cable around so...yeah. Couldn't enjoy my product until I bought a new modem for a totally different purpose, and even then I didn't get the proper enjoyment because Live decided to bork on me.
$100? I didn't even think Microsoft would stoop that low. The cost of games and having Live would be just too much for me. I don't see how that much money would be worth it to anyone. I mean, the vast majority of live players just shoot people on CoD. Over, and over again.

While Nintendo loves games and sees them as personal items and creations that they can be proud of, Microsoft just sees them as a cheap money maker, but they're so much more than that.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The gaming part of Live, meaning, the online multiplayer, is totally worth the money. Dedicated servers? Hell yes (you can get these for free on PC though). But the rest of Live isn't, IMO, unless you live in a cave with nothing but the Xbox, Internet service, and your TV. ESPN? I have Cable. YouTube? My PC (and PC YouTube is better anyway). VEVO, Hulu, etc, all on my PC.

I'm part of that vast majority. CoD = the best way to vent in my opinion. I don't get the thrill in any other game.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Steam trumps the whole lot of them. Xbox Live's immature community and cost alone make it prohibitive and significantly inferior--yet another reason I can't fathom the console's success in light of the existence of PCs, since online is pretty much its only selling point.

I'm glad to see Nintendo ditching friend codes, as that was a pain, but otherwise, I buy Nintendo consoles for the exclusives, and the exclusives (with notable exceptions SSB and Mario Kart) are single-player. Online just isn't that important. I hope it's manageable and successful enough to help make Nintendo money on their console, but that's about it.

I'm glad Nintendo's offering online free, too. I only got suckered in to paying for Live once and never did it again. I probably wouldn't pay for Nintendo's service either, however good it supposedly is. I suppose the only benefit it would have over Steam would be exclusive games--but even then, how many legendary Nintendo exclusives are multiplayer-heavy?

@Brandikins: While I'm partial to Nintendo, both Nintendo and Microsoft are money-hungry. Their responsibility is to the bottom line, which keeps them lined up with consumer demand. Nintendo's user base is more in line with my interests, which is why I prefer them (and again, I fail to see how the 360 is even marketable), but yeah, they're pretty much money-grubbing. It just so happens that a major part of their success is based on reputation, (arguably) innovation, and strong franchises.

Last edited:

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Steam trumps the whole lot of them. Xbox Live's immature community and cost alone make it prohibitive and significantly inferior--yet another reason I can't fathom the console's success in light of the existence of PCs, since online is pretty much its only selling point.

I'm glad to see Nintendo ditching friend codes, as that was a pain, but otherwise, I buy Nintendo consoles for the exclusives, and the exclusives (with notable exceptions SSB and Mario Kart) are single-player. Online just isn't that important. I hope it's manageable and successful enough to help make Nintendo money on their console, but that's about it.

I'm glad Nintendo's offering online free, too. I only got suckered in to paying for Live once and never did it again. I probably wouldn't pay for Nintendo's service either, however good it supposedly is. I suppose the only benefit it would have over Steam would be exclusive games--but even then, how many legendary Nintendo exclusives are multiplayer-heavy?

@Brandikins: While I'm partial to Nintendo, both Nintendo and Microsoft are money-hungry. Their responsibility is to the bottom line, which keeps them lined up with consumer demand. Nintendo's user base is more in line with my interests, which is why I prefer them (and again, I fail to see how the 360 is even marketable), but yeah, they're pretty much money-grubbing. It just so happens that a major part of their success is based on reputation, (arguably) innovation, and strong franchises.
Friend codes were quite tedious. Even though I have played games such as Mario Kart and SSB online, I never found them addicting at all. Sort of fun, but not addicting. I don't know why so many people are addicted on Live, but like you said, most of the community on it is immature.

The online play is probably the sole reason that it survives. I mean, out of all three of the major consoles, the 360 breaks far more than any of them. But no matter how many break, the community is so addicted to where they'll just keep getting new ones. It's just sad on how I have older Nintendo consoles that have lasted me for years, but then one of the more newer consoles breaks rather frequently. The Xbox and its community are a disgrace to the gaming world.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well I pay for Xbox live annually. I'm glad I will not have to pay for Wii U live as well. I wonder if they will have Mii items and themes to download that cost money though.

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
Well I pay for Xbox live annually. I'm glad I will not have to pay for Wii U live as well. I wonder if they will have Mii items and themes to download that cost money though.

Well, actually, Iwata sort-of clarified after this post was made. He said that Nintendo plans to make the essential internet connection free of charge, but Nintendo isn't ruling out paid online services completely. He mentioned something like, "more luxurious services may cost money in the future, but the basics of connecting with friends and playing games with them will be absolutely free."

This makes me think that Nintendo will, like Xbox Live, have various stages of membership. However, the lowest form of Live membership, Silver, allows you to do almost absolutely nothing. You cannot play with friends or participate in online gaming. If Nintendo does have a lowest form, it will most likely allow you to do those two things, which is a relief, as you won't have to scramble to pay for points or membership to get the bare essentials of online gaming. I guess this is a good thing as it offers a luxury to gamers who want to pay, but still delivers the goods to anyone else for free. However, no final decisions have been made about Miiverse, except of course that Nintendo plans to make certain uses of it free.

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
Nintendo's Wii U will kill any chances that Microsoft has of still ruling the hardcore gaming universe. That console...I can't wait. This new-fangled, free, online network will be at least three times better than that piece of expensive crap known as Xbox Live. Go Nintendo, go Nintendo, NINTENDO FOR LIFE!!!!!

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
It's great that they made it free.
+1 Reason to buy the Wii U
I'm still not sure I'll buy it on launch day, let's say it's $300 in the USA, in Australia that would probably be $500-$600 (even though the dollars are close to equal in value :( )
If they really want me to buy it at launch for the online I want All Wii Virtual Console Titles (and transferable from Wii), a selection of Game Cube titles on the Virtual Console and some more great onlone features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom