• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wii Successor Essentially Confirmed

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I believe that Nintendo needs to do. Be a bit hardcore. That's where they failed with the Wii. They had a lot of crap games except for what Nintendo brought to the table. They didn't let other companies do what they do best. They seemed to have learned from that mistake and fixed it with the 3DS. Now they need to do it again with Project Cafe.

I find it cool that they are sorta making the DS the controller for Project Cafe. I'm very excited for this and hope that Nintendo could do wonders to games like Zelda and Mario with it's new capabilities. There are rumors right now about it having Blu-Ray. Man, Nintendo knows how to keep innovating!

jugglaj91

I am me....
There are rumors right now about it having Blu-Ray. Man, Nintendo knows how to keep innovating!

I wouldn't bet on Blu-Ray. There has already been legal troubles with Sony and LG about that. And I am sure Nintendo doesn't want to get involved. Or at least I would think they wouldn't want to get involved with that. Blu-Ray hasn't fully caught on yet, and there is nothing wrong with DVD storage games. I don't care about having to put in multiple discs to play through a game. All I want from the next Nintendo system is the HD graphics, a hard drive, and a stronger library of games.

Beeker

Wild Card
Ohmygoodnessrumorexplosion*brain explodes*o-o

So. Project Cafe huh?
It's inevitable that a new system is on its way, but I didn't expect this much about it. Like Athenian said, consoles usually stay on the market(as current gen at least) for five years until something new and intuitive comes along to keep up with technology. The Wii is reaching that time, and as much as I love my Wii, I know things are declining and dying out for the system. 2012 does seem like a good time for it to come out, or at least hear some announcements to come out for it.

As for this 'Project Cafe', I find it interesting. When it comes to the system itself, it isn't really that surprising, with apparent power equal to or even better than the PS3/360. Possibility of Blu-Ray is a little surprising, but it could be useful for holding memory. But I think they're only looking into that for now.

But the real interesting thing is the controller. It's good that they plan to go back to a somewhat classic sort of controller. But I am honestly wondering how a screen, let alone a touch screen, will work. Then again, Nintendo does come up with interesting ideas. Let's hope they are put to good uses.

The most interesting thing to me is what this article talks about, the controller.

To me, the article makes it sound like the next system will be a combination of a handheld and a console system.

The most interesting thing to me is what this article talks about, the controller.

To me, the article makes it sound like the next system will be a combination of a handheld and a console system.

That article seems to describe the controller as (what I interpret to be) a tribute to the Dreamcast controller. This is an idea used by Sega in the form of the VMU (Visual Memory Unit). It was basically a memory card which was plugged into the controller with a small d-pad, buttons, and an LCD screen (looked like a small Game & Watch to me) which would display useless images (usually only viewed for novelty's sake) during gameplay. Some titles even allowed the downloading of minigames on the VMU, which could be played on the go using the given buttons and D-pad. My assumption of Nintendo's touch-screen is that it will, in addition to showing in-game images (map-systems, status screens, etc.) it will also be used to play content downloaded from the games on the go. If it were ejectable like a VMU, I think it would just be like a less advanced version of an iPod Touch, but with more content control.

I have one thing to say. I have no idea what goes inside the head of "hardcore gamers" who only play Microsoft games and stuff. It hurts me to say that i am really the only person in my school who doesn't play those sort of games. 99.9% of the people at my school have this opinion: " I love Call of Duty and stuff cause it has shooting and stuff and will make me more popular than the whoop-de-doo Nintendo games ever will." I am not kidding, i have actually heard something very similar to that coming from my friend. For all I know and have played, games that "hardcore gamers" play are simply shooting people and zombies over and over for an hour or two. No offense to zelda gamers who like these, but Nintendo should just make this Wii sequel something that will simply rival Microsoft and Sony. Most people that like Microsoft and Sony games would only start playing Nintendo games if the console is something greater than what they already have, or at least the ones at my school would. Thus, Nintendo will have to make something insanely good to accomplish this. I realize that this is a little off-topic, but its the truth. I have a lot of trust in Nintendo and know that they can pull this off, so that means that those rumors will have to be true, otherwise the Wii will just happen all over again.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I have one thing to say. I have no idea what goes inside the head of "hardcore gamers" who only play Microsoft games and stuff. It hurts me to say that i am really the only person in my school who doesn't play those sort of games. 99.9% of the people at my school have this opinion: " I love Call of Duty and stuff cause it has shooting and stuff and will make me more popular than the whoop-de-doo Nintendo games ever will." I am not kidding, i have actually heard something very similar to that coming from my friend. For all I know and have played, games that "hardcore gamers" play are simply shooting people and zombies over and over for an hour or two. No offense to zelda gamers who like these, but Nintendo should just make this Wii sequel something that will simply rival Microsoft and Sony. Most people that like Microsoft and Sony games would only start playing Nintendo games if the console is something greater than what they already have, or at least the ones at my school would. Thus, Nintendo will have to make something insanely good to accomplish this. I realize that this is a little off-topic, but its the truth. I have a lot of trust in Nintendo and know that they can pull this off, so that means that those rumors will have to be true, otherwise the Wii will just happen all over again.

You have it all wrong. Someone who plays games like Call of Duty 24/7 is not a hardcore gamer. They're lame gamers who only know the simple gameplay of R shoots and A jumps. I myself am a hardcore gamer and I play many games and strongly dislike Call of Duty games because they lack so much. They never improve on them. It's the same game with polished graphics and different levels, maps, and guns while maintaining the genericness of any Call of Duty game. I like the Wii because they have games like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Sonic. But the only thing that sucks is that they have many horrible 3rd party games and all you have left is just Nintendo games. XBOX and Playstation offer many excellent 3rd party games and that's why I, a hardcore gamer, play my 360 more then my Wii. Because it has more variety then Nintendo. You got Hardcore Gamer with Cheap Gamer mixed up.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere

Actually, the hardcore gamers are the ones who play all games. The ones who think what you said are mistaken, and I hate them, too.

BTW I put hardcore gamers in quotes because they think they are hardcore gamers, but hardcore gamers are really what JuicieJ said they are. Yes, I hate them so much when they call zelda "whoop-de-doo":mad:

Last edited:
Whole new batch of rumors. Keep in mind that these are just silly rumors, and may or may not be true at all.

- retail cost of anywhere between $350 and $400
- will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October
- earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November
- built on revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture
- will out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor
- CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset
- clocking speeds will be faster
- 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well
- overall size will be comparable to that of the original Xbox 360
- likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System
- utilize controllers with integrated touchscreens and be capable of streaming games to each controller
- could feasibly provide a virtualized console for each individual unit
- considering naming the platform Stream, but there are several other names being considered

- more sources confirm a touchscreen, two analog sticks and a camera for the controller
- screen will measure 6.2 inches
- controller will also include eight buttons
- controller is being positioned as a replacement for the Wiimote
- console will support Wiimote/Nunchuk
- new games may be built around Wiimote/Nunchuk, or the Project Cafe controller, or both
- two players may be able to use different control options, one on Wiimote/Nunchuk and one on Project Cafe controller
- controller will receive data wirelessly from the console
- uses for the screen/streaming could be putting the player's inventory or map on the controller screen, and allow gamers to combine it with the controller's camera to snap photos that could be imported into a game
- controller screen may be used for a separate experience altogether

Ganondork

goo
I have one thing to say. I have no idea what goes inside the head of "hardcore gamers" who only play Microsoft games and stuff. It hurts me to say that i am really the only person in my school who doesn't play those sort of games. 99.9% of the people at my school have this opinion: " I love Call of Duty and stuff cause it has shooting and stuff and will make me more popular than the whoop-de-doo Nintendo games ever will." I am not kidding, i have actually heard something very similar to that coming from my friend. For all I know and have played, games that "hardcore gamers" play are simply shooting people and zombies over and over for an hour or two. No offense to zelda gamers who like these, but Nintendo should just make this Wii sequel something that will simply rival Microsoft and Sony. Most people that like Microsoft and Sony games would only start playing Nintendo games if the console is something greater than what they already have, or at least the ones at my school would. Thus, Nintendo will have to make something insanely good to accomplish this. I realize that this is a little off-topic, but its the truth. I have a lot of trust in Nintendo and know that they can pull this off, so that means that those rumors will have to be true, otherwise the Wii will just happen all over again.​

Nintendo has something on Sony and Microsoft; their games actually survive through the years. When I'm talking to my children 15 years from now and I say Call of Duty, they'll say "what?" but when I say Zelda, they'll probably say "oh! my friend plays that!" Games go through phases like how books and movies do. Right now, movies are all vampires and werewolves, books are all fantasy and romance and video games are shooting each other's heads off. It'll go back to puzzle-solving action/adventure games in probably 5 or so years.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
To me, hardcore games are games where you can sit down for twelve hours playing and not even be close to done when you end your session. Most of these so-called "hardcore games" these days are shooters and games you can finish in an hour, maybe two. Not in my book. Hardcore games to me, are action/adventure, but requiring the adventure part, games that take a minimum of 30 hours to complete with good pacing (no rushing). Well-done games with length that do not rely on gimmicks and have real, and practical controls. That's why I think all of Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo has failed in this last generation to bring real, hardcore games in quantity. Sony and Microsoft focused too much on the shooters, short games, stuff like that. Nintendo focused too much on its gimmicks like touch screens, motion controls, etc. I think it was an industry failure for hardcore gaming. YES there are some exceptions here and there, there always will be. But in the whole it still seems like a failure.

For the new Nintendo console there are two requirements for hardcore games that it has to accomplish. One is decent classic controls. And two is to actually have them fully supported in ALL first party games, and strongly encourage third party games to do the same. Give people the option of what control type they wish to use. Motion, or Classic, and have both fully supported. Then, and only then, can they retake the hardcore game market.

jugglaj91

I am me....
"1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well"

The 1080p I am all for. But the 3D aspect won't be happening on this console. Nintendo already put that out there that the next console of theirs will NOT be implementing any kind of 3D - aside from in game which we have been playing since the N64/PS1 days lol.

Sorry couldn't quote this properly and I am dead tired.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

http://wiihdrumors.com/

^ Pretty good blog regarding all these rumors, if you want to keep up with them, that I've been reading.

I really like the notion that Nintendo is trying to recapture the hardcore market. That's just good no matter how you phrase it. It's a bit ridiculous that anyone might assume that an eight generation console would have graphical capabilities inferior to any of the seventh generation, even if it does come from Nintendo, especially under the notion of recapturing the hardcore market. It's never happened before. All 3D generations have had a console that's significantly different in graphical capabilities (Nintendo 64, then Dreamcast, then Wii), but even in the case of the Wii, the worst graphics of any generation outmatch the best graphics of the previous. Some rumors do say that the Wii HD will have much better graphics than the 360 and the PS3, while some others say they're just a notch above the 360, though I'm inclined to believe the former inasmuch as the different sources may simply just be looking at different games that take advantage of the console's capabilities to varying degrees.

I personally really like the rumors about the controller having a screen onto which you can stream any game simply because I love handhelds so much. :) It's basically a dream come true for the part of me that wants to play every game on a handheld, whether or not that means portably, and that's basically defined by a (cordless, though that's now standard) controller that has a screen on it. I'm curious to see what it ends up looking and feeling like, though, since the prospect of a six-inch touch screen in addition to buttons might create something rather unwieldy. It's been described as an iPad fused into a Dreamcast controller, so we'll have to see what exactly that entails. I don't personally know what the Dreamcast controller looks like inasmuch as I've never owned one.

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
I hate to say it, and I mean I REALLY hate to say it, but I want motion controls done with. They are fun, and I will always have a special place in my heart for them, but I want to play with just a controller. I'm sick of having to make room for myself to play of move things around just to play. I want games like brawl, where I can just sit back and enjoy. Plus I think a lot of people will like having a single controller to play with. That is why everybody prefers the gamecube version of twilight princess. It was much easier to control. I want the online mode fixed. Brawl kinda stunk online, but hey they tried. I'm not a HUGE fan of online gaming, but, I think it is awesome that my best friend is sitting at his home and I am sitting at mine, and we are playing together on a team. I'm not a graphics person, but the improved graphics will mean improved processing power which means bigger worlds in game for us to explore. Can you imagine a Zelda game with a MUCH bigger over world that Twilight Princess, or even The Wind Waker? It will be fantastic. The awesome, AND massive overworld in Twilight Princess is actually from TWO consoles ago. If they could make an AMAZING overworld back then, than imagine the over world we would be able to get from a console two console generations ahead. We could be talking At least twice as big as OoT, with PS3 graphics, and it won't just be a flat little land.

Hanyou, what you said about being worried that the "WII-II" as I like to call it, will losse all of the great rpg's platformers, and become just a console full of FPS's, I see what you mean, but I son't think Nintendo will let that happen to it's WII-II. But I do agree that it could be a possibility. My biggest hope for the WII-II is that it is a controller system. Nintendo was the first into the motion craze, so I hope it will be the first out. I WANT a controller. I loved the gamecube. I loved the n64 to DEATH. But I only like the Wii as a friend so I hope nintendo improves the mistakes they made with the first Wii. I'm not saying the Wii is bad, but it had it's mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom