• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword Should NOT Be Compared

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
Hi, I am RedDekuScrub. Some of you might know me as RedDekuScrub. Others could possibly know me as RedDekuScrub...

Ever since Skyward Sword came out people have been saying things like:"This game is the best Zelda game!" "Ocarina of Time is better!" "Skyward Sword is the best!" "Shut up Fi!" "Ocarina of Time is a classic!"

My question is, Why are you comparing them? People want to know which is superior, and which one is the best in the series. I think that this is a dumb thing to argue about. I'm here today to tell you that they are equal. Both games have their ups and their downs, and both games have their pros and their cons.

Look at the two games, both provide an amazing gameing experience that is enjoyable for the player. Both are also revolutions in the Zelda series. Ocarina of Time sent the series into the 3rd demension, providing room for a very different, very amazing Zelda series. Skyward Sword was also a revolution. Skyward Sword showed us that gameplay was not restricteed to button mashing. Its 1 to 1 swordplay, realistic archery, and other amazing motion controls changed the way we will play Zelda forever. Skyward Sword also brought more cinamatic cutscenes and orchestrated music to the series. Characters in Skyward Sword show believable emotion and provide for a better story experience. Many people bring up that Ocarina of Time is a classic so it is automatically superior. Well guess what? In sixteen years, when there are many more Zelda games, Skyward Sword will also be a classic!

So as you can see, both Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword are great revolutions for the beloved Zelda series. They both have positive attributes, and they both have negative attributes. They are nothing less than equals. In the future, I garuntee that there will be another revolutionizing Zelda game and the same debate will surface once again. But now, for me, both Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword stand together.

MW7

Well it sounds like you just compared and contrasted them and came to the conclusion that they are equal which is as valid as any opinion I've heard about the games. I understand what you mean though. Time is better spent playing the games rather than arguing about the relative quality, but I'm as guilty as anyone. It's fun to discuss with people. Oh and A Link to the Past is still the best Zelda game. :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well, Ocarina has garnered the most positive response out of any game in the series, so I'd say just from that it's the better of the two, and the best out of any video game ever made. But of course the angry fanboys will attack me. /waitingforjjnothers/

As your thread and MW7 said, time is better spent playing the games rather than arguing. However, in my free time, I tend to argue that this is better than that, things I wish could've been differently here, blah blah blah. I enjoy SS as a video game as well as OoT, and I think that is ultimately what enjoyment boils down to. Whenever i get my Zelda Face on, though, I just can't take certain games seriously.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Well, Ocarina has garnered the most positive response out of any game in the series, so I'd say just from that it's the better of the two, and the best out of any video game ever made. But of course the angry fanboys will attack me. /waitingforjjnothers/

OoT definitely has more critical acclaim, but I haven't seen as many people question Ocarina's reign as they have with SS since... well, since never. If you look everywhere online, you'll find much more praise for SS than criticism, and you'll find that more fans consider SS to be the superior of the two. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Btw, what you said is no reason to compare the two games. Red is right. It's stupid and pointless arguing.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
here's why i think its stupid to compare ocarina and skyward sword
ocarina:1998
skyward:2011
:dry:

but of course,that doesn't stop the fanboys

True that. Man, can't tell you how much I express this but people don't listen. (talking about off of ZD here)

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Did you even read the thread? I explained why you can't say Ocarina of Time is superior because it is a classic.

aren't you listening
i said, 'here's why I think...',i was talking about it in a technological standpoint

and i never said anything of ocarina being superior,in fact its my least favorite of the 3d zeldas

Very well stated, RedDekuScrub. Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword both stand as paragons of what a Zelda game should be.

As you stated, Ocarina of Time shifted the franchise into the third dimension. But it also created many of the famed races we know today whether it be the Gorons, Zora, or Sheikah. It also introduced lock-on with its intuitive Z-Targeting which has since been used in many games spanning multiple genres. The red cherry on top was introducing the time travel quirk which has since found itself in many Zelda games. Skyward Sword, on the other hand, not only fully legitimized motion control but created a believable and emotional story that went full circle with Link, Zelda, Groose, Fi, Ghirahim, and Demise. At long last players received an ending that answered more questions than it created and connected the timeline in so many ways. Both Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword released during periods when the general public was losing faith in Nintendo and both titles showed the company was still able to churn out consistent quality.

What.

Otherwise I agree with ALIT. Both games have revitalized the series to some extent, for better and for worse, and that's really all that matters for the most part.

Link was on a quest to save his childhood friend. This brought a more personal connection to the story than in earlier installments. For once, a supporting character namely Groose also showed a ton of character development. How could you not feel pity for Zelda (Hylia) as she had her life sucked out from her as the Imptisoned undertook the transformation into Demise? Leaving Fi behind with the Master Sword in the Sealed temple not only proved to be a crucial moment in tying together Skyward Sword with Ocarina of Time but nearly matched Midna's leave taking in the emotions it invoked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom