• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U Why is the Wind Waker So Expensive?

Demise_

Gwoh hoh hoh!
BTW, you can play it for free on an emulator (like Dolphin). If you want a good play experience though, you will need a GC controller - but you can buy both the controller AND adapter for under £25.

Otherwise, everyone else here has already said what I have to say.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
BTW, you can play it for free on an emulator (like Dolphin). If you want a good play experience though, you will need a GC controller - but you can buy both the controller AND adapter for under £25.

Otherwise, everyone else here has already said what I have to say.

1) Not sure if we're allowed to say that on the forums.

2) I would hardly call it free. Even if you get past all the ridiculous trials to using Dolphin, you need an extremely good computer to actually run it. To get good audio, you need to buy more crap and already own a Wii. And then, even if you finally manage to USE Dolphin, get it running fine and all of that, buy the AC controller adapter, and have everything running...you still get a slightly watered down experience with FPS not always being 100% reliable, several graphic glitches taking place, and a lot of work put into something that is technically illegal. For all the work, effort, and cost, you would be better off buying a Wii, Wii U, Wind Waker, and Wind Waker HD.

In short: Common Man's technology is not ready to emulate GameCube games. Heck, it's still only able to emulate N64 games with semi-reliability.

SpiritGerudo

Flamey-o, Hotman!
Ugh, I know what you mean, I really want to play Wind Waker but at GameStop it's "Currently unavailable online" and no store has stock within a hundred mile radius, apparently.

Demise_

Gwoh hoh hoh!
1) Not sure if we're allowed to say that on the forums.

2) I would hardly call it free. Even if you get past all the ridiculous trials to using Dolphin, you need an extremely good computer to actually run it. To get good audio, you need to buy more crap and already own a Wii. And then, even if you finally manage to USE Dolphin, get it running fine and all of that, buy the AC controller adapter, and have everything running...you still get a slightly watered down experience with FPS not always being 100% reliable, several graphic glitches taking place, and a lot of work put into something that is technically illegal. For all the work, effort, and cost, you would be better off buying a Wii, Wii U, Wind Waker, and Wind Waker HD.

In short: Common Man's technology is not ready to emulate GameCube games. Heck, it's still only able to emulate N64 games with semi-reliability.

Is it illegal to talk about this on the forums?... I didn't know.

Anyway, running Dolphin is surprisingly easy. I heard N64 emulators need tons of plug-ins and such, there's nothing of the kind with Dolphin. You don't even have to install it, and the only 3rd-party thing you need is DirectX (which is free).

I use normal headphones and have great audio.

FPS depends on the hardware... I don't have a super-duper-top-notch desktop (in fact, I'm using a laptop), but it's still a gaming laptop, so I guess others might have more problems than me. Personally I get 100% FPS 99% of the time. And usually there aren't a lot of graphic glitches, not enough to affect gameplay anyway.

So I guess that if you don't have a good PC and/or don't want to do it because it's illegal or something, then ok. But it's definitely not as hard or glitchy as people make it out to be.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao

1) Wrong wrong wrong. Alll wrong. My PC is not even close to "extremely good" and I play TWWJP with full 30 FPS constantly. Here are my PC stats:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT
AMD Athlon II X2 220 Processor @ 2.80GHz
4GB RAM
Galaxy GeForce GT520 1GBVRAM

You know what that is? $300 - $400 for a Walmart OEM, X amount of money for 2 more gigs of ram, and $50 for the Graphics card update. At max, you'll be spending around $500 but all for good cause: a slew of emulation, and a lot of PC games at the touch of a button. And let me say something real quick to you: this setup is absolutely horrible for PC gaming at default settings (all mediums), but maxes Zelda out. Regarding Zelda, I experience not a single graphical glitch, not once. In fact, TWW on this crap setup is running better than it does on the GC - it's native platform! I play TWW with my PS2 controller and it's incredibly simple to set up. Furthermore, emulation is not illegal, owning an ISO/ROM is not illegal*, and emulating your legally obtained ROM/ISO is not illegal.

*If you rip it yourself (and own the game in question), having a backup is legal. Downloading games illegally off the Internet is [obvious] completely illegal and not even close to being endorsed.

2) Again the game is very expensive, so finding adeal anywhere is tough.

DarkestLink

1) Wrong wrong wrong. Alll wrong. My PC is not even close to "extremely good" and I play TWWJP with full 30 FPS constantly. Here are my PC stats:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT
AMD Athlon II X2 220 Processor @ 2.80GHz
4GB RAM
Galaxy GeForce GT520 1GBVRAM

So do I. More if I use a game booster...but 30 FPS is terrible. OK, well maybe you have different standards, but anything below 60 is poor for me. Anything below 50 is not worth playing.

You know what that is? $300 - $400 for a Walmart OEM, X amount of money for 2 more gigs of ram, and $50 for the Graphics card update. At max, you'll be spending around $500 but all for good cause: a slew of emulation, and a lot of PC games at the touch of a button. And let me say something real quick to you: this setup is absolutely horrible for PC gaming at default settings (all mediums), but maxes Zelda out. Regarding Zelda, I experience not a single graphical glitch, not once. In fact, TWW on this crap setup is running better than it does on the GC - it's native platform! I play TWW with my PS2 controller and it's incredibly simple to set up. Furthermore, emulation is not illegal, owning an ISO/ROM is not illegal*, and emulating your legally obtained ROM/ISO is not illegal.

Legally obtained ROM is the key word. And one moment you're telling me it's running at a crappy 30 FPS, next moment you're saying better than on your GC? What on earth did you do to your GC that makes 30fps look good?

*If you rip it yourself (and own the game in question), having a backup is legal. Downloading games illegally off the Internet is [obvious] completely illegal and not even close to being endorsed.

...Well of course, but see if he had a GC Wind Waker to rip, an emulator would be unnecessary and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Is it illegal to talk about this on the forums?... I didn't know.

I'm honestly not 100% sure myself. I just know there's a line we can't cross on that and you said "free", which made me ask. Sorry. ^^

Anyway, running Dolphin is surprisingly easy. I heard N64 emulators need tons of plug-ins and such, there's nothing of the kind with Dolphin. You don't even have to install it, and the only 3rd-party thing you need is DirectX (which is free).

Project 64 is easy. The only trouble I ever had is when I wanted to put in my controller adapter, but the fix was very simple. It takes about 10 minutes to find, download, and set up. And you can find many many games working in perfect or playable conditions. Even my grandma's outdated PC can play it with a solid 60 FPS. My cpu can play it over 300 fps if I take off the FPS limit. While this is not needed, it can still be used to speed up any tedious moments in the game.

FPS depends on the hardware... I don't have a super-duper-top-notch desktop (in fact, I'm using a laptop), but it's still a gaming laptop, so I guess others might have more problems than me. Personally I get 100% FPS 99% of the time. And usually there aren't a lot of graphic glitches, not enough to affect gameplay anyway.

I suppose. My laptop is just a laptop. But whereas I have FPS to spare on the N64 emulators, the Dolphin emulator typically runs games at a pitiful 40 fps and this is while I have a game booster on far as it can go. As for graphic glitches and such, this is such a problem that the Dolphin emulator has wiki with articles on every game detailing how many glitches there are and what you need to do to stop the ones you can.

Demise_

Gwoh hoh hoh!
So do I. More if I use a game booster...but 30 FPS is terrible. OK, well maybe you have different standards, but anything below 60 is poor for me. Anything below 50 is not worth playing.

Games run at different FPSs. MK Wii runs at 60, and works fine for me. TP, SS, SM Sunshine and most GC games run at 30 FPS (even with framelimit set to 60 - and no it's not lag, it would be too much of a coincidence that they all played at exactly 30 FPS, not matter which game or what you're doing in it) - they were intended to be played this way. So you like playing games on consoles, but when you use an emulator you suddenly require 2x better famerates?

DarkestLink

Games run at different FPSs. MK Wii runs at 60, and works fine for me. TP, SS, SM Sunshine and most GC games run at 30 FPS (even with framelimit set to 60 - and no it's not lag, it would be too much of a coincidence that they all played at exactly 30 FPS, not matter which game or what you're doing in it) - they were intended to be played this way. So you like playing games on consoles, but when you use an emulator you suddenly require 2x better famerates?

Weird, mine is at 40 fps and lags far too much. It's little over half speed.

Demise_

Gwoh hoh hoh!
Weird, mine is at 40 fps and lags far too much. It's little over half speed.

Huh? Weird indeed. Then I can understand you not liking FPS < 60, I've tried playing like that (especially after setting "internal resolution" to 1.5 for mario kart and then forgetting to put it back to 1 for Mario Galaxy). I wonder why though... Might be a problem with you ISO maybe. If you have already obtained it "legally", then you can try downloading a version from the internet (without it being illegal, I assume) and see if it works better.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao

You must've not played anything from the N64 or GameCube era, then. Get this: almost every GameCube game is a 30 FPS game. Mindblowing, right? ;)

Legally obtained ROM is the key word. And one moment you're telling me it's running at a crappy 30 FPS, next moment you're saying better than on your GC? What on earth did you do to your GC that makes 30fps look good?

...Well of course, but see if he had a GC Wind Waker to rip, an emulator would be unnecessary and we wouldn't be having this discussion.
30FPS is the native frames, but what I'm saying is that Dolphin (for me) runs exceedingly well AND looks great with anti-aliasing support.

TRUE to that, sorry for the ruckus. :sweat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom