• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why/How Did Zoras Turn to Ritos?

Y

Yaridovich23

In Wind Waker, it is revealed that Zoras evolved into Ritos, but why? How? Was it a natural occurence? Did Ganon do it? Did the Zoras do it themselves? If so, why? Was is it before or after the flood? If it was after, why'd they do it? Surely a world of water would be perfect for Zoras, any theories?

Anemos

Master of Chaos
Too much power? What's that even mean?
Hmm...Let's ponder this question carefully.
Well, there is a giant ocean engulfing the near entirety of Hyrule...
Oh! And Zoras can swim!

This leads me to my knowledgeable and probably accurate assumption as to why Zoras changed into Ritos.

Hyrule was sealed away in the depths of the ocean by the golden goddesses, never to be found again. Would this be possible if Zoras could swim? Would Hyrule be safe from being rediscovered?

So, the goddesses did a little bit of that wish-granting magic to make sure that didn't happen.

Y

Yaridovich23

Well, the Zoras can't even get to the old Hyrule, only Link could.

Anemos

Master of Chaos
Well, the Zoras can't even get to the old Hyrule, only Link could.

The only reason you can believe this is because Zoras weren't there. The barrier around Hyrule Castle was made by Ganon, and it took him a while to regain power. The Zoras could have entered anywhere in Hyrule besides the castle though, even if Ganon hadn't put a barrier there...

Y

Yaridovich23

Yeah, but they may have not thought to looke around that area, I mean, it's the freakin' ocean. It'd take them forever to find it.

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
There are two possible reasons:
1. The gods didn't want the Zoras to find out about Hyrule by going underwater, or
2. Zoras were a strictly fresh-water species so they could not survive in the ocean.

M

majorasmask

i think they were fresh water spieces and evolved so they could live

Rytex

Resident Netizen
I wonder why they switched spirits. Jabun the fish lived on Greatfish Isle and as Kingly Red Liony guy said, he used to be called Jabu-Jabu. As we all remember, the Zoras made it their life's duty to protect the source of the flow of the river and Jabu-Jabu did just that. So, why did they switch to Valoo? I suppose the reason they evolved is because Valoo gave them that gift, as it says that his scales grant them the power to fly.

I've thought the zora's evolved due to saltwater issues... until I replayed Majora's Mask. the zoras could definitely swim/live in the ocean there. But who knows, maybe the Termina branch of Zoras were saltwater while Hyrule Zoras were freshwater, or since this is Zelda's land, not the earth, the ocean might be freshwater.

@Biaku Actualy, they have always been able to live in the sea. Through out the series, there have been three names for the zoras. Zola (mistranslation), River Zora (real name), and Sea Zora (canonical name). It says it their name, SEA zora. (River Zora are the Zoras that are enemies. An interesting fact is that in PH, there was an enemy called River Zora, but in ST, the same enemy was called a Geozard.)

Clucluclu

Time for waffles
I think the Zoras became the Ritos for a two reasons:
1. The goddesses didn't want the Zoras to find Hyrule, so they put Valoo in the picture to give the Zoras the gift of flight instead of the ability to swim.
2. There are no fish (besides the fishmen, which, in fact, are probably a cut above fish) and because I'm pretty sure that fish were the staple of the Zora diet, it became necessary to find a new food source, and hence gave them reason to abandon Jabun/Jabu Jabu and recieve the gift of flight from Valoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom