• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Do You Like Zelda?

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
I searched and found nothing.

Basically, why do you like Zelda. I'm assuming it's in your top 3 video game series since you're on a Zelda forum. So yeah. Why do you like the Zelda series. For me it's because they're great adventure games with fun sidequests, great characters, stories, and puzzles. Even the whole, "Item screen." "Dungeon." "Collecting things to do something." All that is unique to Zelda and Zelda alone. Sure in games like RPG's you have items but it's completely different. So, why do you like Zelda. That's like my 3rd time saying it in this thread. :P :embarrassed:

Austin

Austin
I'm not sure. It was one of the first video games I played and that probably has something to do with it. I guess I like the idea of adventuring in general. Also, solving dungeons/puzzles has always been appealing when most games give you a pretty clear idea of what the exact path is.

Chiraku

Demon slayer
I guess because it's the only Video Game that appeals to me besides fighting games like smash bros. Mario is fun and addictive, but it's not an adventure you can enjoy, Metroid is addictive with how you have to explore, but the speed running doesn't make it a game you can play when you're bored, because you HAVE to complete it quick enough. But Zelda, you can save the game, you don't have to speed-run.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Because it is absolutely positively the best ever video game in the history of the Earth! It is fun but challenging with puzzles and fights and not much more to say, it's just amazing!

C

CrimsomLink2

Well its hard to say=\
but to me it was a great adventure wi made me feel like a hero:)

@lex MM

The Lurker
Before zelda games I was playing only demos...When i played MM .....i thought that zelda games are the best!!!!!!!

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I'm going to quote somebody, because they said it very well:

<"There is an appeal in Zelda games that goes beyond the gameplay. Part of what gives the atmosphere that magic is the feeling of being a kid (or teenager in some cases like OoT) going out to explore the world and growing through experiences and discoveries. The world is full of vibrant characters that made you want to know more about their backstories">, and there is a feeling that there is so much more than lies beyond the borders that just makes you want to adventure forever. The worlds are just full of life.

Not only that, but the old feature of actually being the character remains. It's lost its place among other titles these days... now you play as a character that's already been developed and has their own sense of things, but with Zelda games, YOU are the hero. Even as Link gains more and more personality, that bit is still there. The hero is you and you are the hero. Link is somebody players can identify with because not only do we become him, but he's just a normal person like we are- he's no ingenious scientist, he's no warrior, he's no reputable hero in his world. He's just a kid that gets caught up with destiny, picks up a sword, and ventures out to save the world with little to no knowledge of combat, the world, or heroism. He learns along the way just as we do.

It's not just the gameplay and the characters and the world, either. The music.... it stands out from the rest. The music flows with the various events of the games and helps to weave intricate stories full of various emotions and experiences. From the booming brass the first time you step into Hyrule Castle in A Link to the Past to the to the delicate strum of Sheik's harp as he speaks in poem in Ocarina of Time, the music allows you to just... feel the very soul of the game- of the legend.

The series stands out from others. You can play another really fantastic, amazing game, but in the end, it's just another generic game. Zelda isn't like that. Zelda strives to be something more. Zelda doesn't focus on mimicking our world as most games these days do, but instead has a world of its own, full of its own races, religion, legends, etc. I guess this is because the series hasn't been abandoned after over 20 years, so it just keeps getting better in every aspect of gaming.

What's funny is that the series can rinse and repeat and still be successful. It's almost always the tale of a hero saving a princess, and even when it's not (LA/MM), the hero/princess thing still makes a small appearance in some way. It never gets old, because it manages to stay the same while ever changing. There's always that feeling of being in a fairytale- dark and gloomy or bright and vibrant, it doesn't matter- that piques my interest every time.

I embrace its cliche because it's not cliche.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
For me, I suppose it's the plot, the story, the general Zelda universe, and all of its intricate mysteries. Most game series build a universe for itself, but how many are quite as detailed as Zelda's, how many have built up a lore so large and complex that people can devote hours upon days upon years to truly unravel it all. Just look around the Zelda community and you'll find vast libraries of resources to be pulled apart and reconstructed by innumerable theorists.

Something about the Zelda universe just clicks with me. Maybe it's the Zelda-Link relationship that's been explored over the many titles. Maybe it's the diversity of the races and their mystical backstories. Maybe it's the stories of the Goddesses and the Triforce, and for once there are deities that are actually involved in the daily lives of the people instead of being abstract creatures that seclude themselves away from all but a chosen few. The game ties the common creatures to the mystic legends in a way that makes the game seem so beautifully surreal, and at the same time believable.

Of course, the actual gameplay itself is very appealing. The very fact that Zelda isn't an RPG like a lot of fantasy games I've seen is an automatic bonus in my books, and the amazing dungeons and sidequests are always satisfying. The plot stays relatively simple and thus followable, with enough twists to keep the player hooked without making a jumbled mess of things. I always feel like what I'm doing in the main course of the game is moving the story along, rather than some other games where the game has you do levels that seem totally detached from the actual plot. The diversity of the action is always nice, and frankly, the atmosphere (music and scenery) is mind-blowing.

It's clear that I'm a very story-oriented gamer, and something about the Zelda world just clicks with me. I can't describe it any other way.

Pop 360

Angel Beats Geek
I like zelda coz its addictive and you just want to carry on,
also I haven't ever played any other games that have had the same suspense and exellent storyline. Also Role plays are my fave type of game :)

TwilightZelda

Zelda Fan #1
Well for me i hate zelda before, i dont even know what zelda is until my friend showed me WW, well i didnt like it at first but slowly i like the game. That was my first zelda game ever, second is TP, and i really like the character zelda.

Nye Pendragon

derparific
Ohohoh, where to start?

The gameplay, the rich stories, the interesting characters, the amazing landscapes, the puzzling dungeons, the enemies... need I go on? Zelda's way of gaming is very great, I love puzzle games, and to have my other favorite genre (adventure) in there too is just icing on a very rich cake. There's humor in ways I'd never expect, compelling stories of loss and adventure, even romance in little ways. The NPCs are always interesting and full of character, even if they don't even talk! The stories blend perfectly into the gameplay as you traverse dungeons, beat on some Moblins and save the princess. It's a tired formula, but somehow, Zelda always manages to make it work. :> There's gorgeous music and scenery, which really add to the value of the game. It's almost like Zelda knows exactly how to tug at your heart strings, make your brain work and test your skills as a swordsman and wizard! Sometimes we dislike things in the games, but usually, it's never something to downright hate or throw your controller out the door because of it. Sure, some games are better and others fall a little flat, and yet we practically always love the games, no matter how much we try not to. (this isn't always the case, but it sure is for me!)

I guess Zelda games just know how to draw the right people in to play them... and absolutely enjoy them. < 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom