• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Do People Hate Glitches?

T

ToonLinkGaming

Honestly, I really hate it when people keep trolling about me glitching in Zelda games. They keep yelling at me, banning me from forums/IRC's because I talk about glitches. Seriously! Glitching is something I've always been fond of, and have been doing since I was young, but people complaining about us glitchers is just annoying!

I have played majority of the Zelda games fully, 100%ing, playthroughs, whatever. I absolutely LOVE the Zelda series! But eventually, playing the same game a hundred times, it will lose its sentimental value, and glitching just...happens. You find one, think it's awesome, and try it every time you turn on the game. I love that, I wish more were like me too. I understand games weren't made for this, these are bugs in the game that need to be fixed, but it is a lot of fun to search for these, and it's one of my favourite things about videogames.

Recently, I've started speedrunning OoT, MC, WW, MM, TP, ETC, and doing alot of sequence breaks, awesome glitches and cool techniques to get good times in racing, and people are impressed by it, it's entertainment! I even make TAS runs, which are "Tool Assisted Speedruns". I won't go into further detail, because you get my point. Glitching is awesome, fun, and widely hated. Please, don't get upset about it. If you don't like glitches, speedruns or any of that, then just click away from that site, and stop complaining. We glitchers are everywhere, get used to it, were not leaving.

-ToonLinkGaming :)

I love glitches, I'm not too good with them though, I have found a way to kill the Ordon cuccoos in TP and jump out of bounds in Jabu Jabu's belly in Oot MQ, and I can also glitch out from the forest in Oot and get unlimited skulltulas and of course the Endless Sword Glitch and Bottle glitch :)

blackenedktulu

Fierce Deity
I never use glitches to my advantage, but I wouldn't condemn someone for using them. If a glitch occurs in a game, I usually just shrug it off, and forget about it. (Or, I'm so habitualised to certain glitches that they seem like normal gameplay to me... haha, ah no.)

As long as glitches don't corrupt my game file, or can't be undone without resetting the game, I don't mind them.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Glitches are fun especially those you can use again and again such as Walk through objects glitch in OoT, get the Jump Boots early in metriod prime, and the backward long jump glitch in Mario 64.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I think glitching is mostly hated because it gives people an unfair advantage in multiplayer, or in obtaining competitive scores. But I don't think it should be a problem in the single-player environment, when it's disclosed that you're using a glitch.

People associate glitching with dishonesty and cheating, because that's how it's viewed in multiplayer games like WoW. A lot of times, people don't think about how different the situation is with a single-player game.

Recently, I've started speedrunning OoT, MC, WW, MM, TP, ETC, and doing alot of sequence breaks, awesome glitches and cool techniques to get good times in racing, and people are impressed by it, it's entertainment! I even make TAS runs, which are "Tool Assisted Speedruns". I won't go into further detail, because you get my point. Glitching is awesome, fun, and widely hated. Please, don't get upset about it. If you don't like glitches, speedruns or any of that, then just click away from that site, and stop complaining. We glitchers are everywhere, get used to it, were not leaving.

-ToonLinkGaming :)

This is probably one of two times when I dislike people using glitches, the other being when people use it to achieve a competitive result or achievement in games like CoD. I dislike glitched speed runs because I personally don't feel that a speed run done via using glitches is a real speed run. When I heard someone had beaten Twilight Princess in under 4 hours, I was impressed, then I saw that they'd only done so because they'd used glitches, and it just fails to impress me. It would be like if someone showed you that they had a 20.0 death to kill ratio on any online FPS to find out they'd glitched the game to make it much easier to do. I guess it's interesting if everyone's doing it.

Last edited:

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
Glitching can be fun. Sequence breaking, or funny glitches like the ocarina items glitch. Other glitches, like being Fierce Deity Link outside a boss room are also great. Glitches can even make a playthrough more challenging, by skipping upgrades and forcing yourself to get by on less.

As for why people dislike glitching, I think it gives off a hacker/cheater vibe, even if that isn't always true. People I know in reality have reacted as though I was hacking/cheating when I mentioned glitching, before I explained that glitching does not necessarily mean those things. Usually after showing them a couple fun glitches, or ones that make the games more challenging, they realize that isn't always the case.

There are some problems with glitching in multiplayer games which are usually used to troll or gain an unfair advantage though, and some people may be more familiar with that side of glitching, which probably contributes to the bad image. Personally, in a multiplayer environment I don't think one should use glitches that could effect the outcome of a game unless it has already been previously agreed upon by those involved that it's allowed. Otherwise, it could be unfair to other players. As far as stats go, I think it's also unfair that glitches might effect this, but since I don't play many FPSs I'm not sure just how far the effects would reach if glitches were only used in friendly matches between parties that had agreed upon it.

Obviously the multiplayer aspect doesn’t have as much application in zelda games. As far as speed running goes, I believe they are usually separated into two categories, ones that used glitches/altered the game path, and ones that didn't alter the game path. So long as these differences are clarified, I think it's alright to use glitches in speed running if they aren't compared on the same level. I'll also admit that I do have more respect for speed runs that don't use glitches. That aside, glitching is generally harmless fun in single player games, and I enjoy learning how to do some new single-player glitches.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
I like glitches. They are awsome to do. But I guess the reason some people don't like it is because maybe the glitches would ruin the game if they are first playing it. But I like them. So, I guess that's the reason some people don't like the glitches.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Personally I hate sequence breaking. It just makes the game feel like blah, and tries to make the sequence breaker look amazing when in fact they really aren't. But, things like the Infinite Sword Glitch I love, because they're the only fun thing to "abuse" within the game. Other small glitches that won't necessarily break the game I won't attack, but SBing is just dumb in my opinion...

T

ToonLinkGaming

This is probably one of two times when I dislike people using glitches, the other being when people use it to achieve a competitive in games like CoD. I dislike this because I personally don't feel that a speed run done via using glitches is a speed run. When I heard someone had beaten Twilight Princess in under 4 hours, I was impressed, then I saw that they'd only done so because they'd used glitches, and it just fails to impress me. It would be like if someone showed you that they had a 20.0 death to kill ratio on any online FPS to find out they'd glitched the game to make it much easier to do. I guess it's interesting if everyone's doing it.

I completely agree with you! I generally mean in single player games, such as TLOZ or any Mario game. In CoD, I play legit. I may not be the best out there, I know many, MANY glitches in all CoD games in all game modes, but I still play legit, and IMO, I am good at it. I only use them when racing in a speedrun, or just a regular playthrough, never on online multiplayer. The only way it would get annoying is if (online) someone was hacking the game, altering the game play.

Last edited by a moderator:

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
I own 32 Zelda games and have 100%ed most of them, after playing them for so long you start to get bored and find things. I love glitches because they are entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom