• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past Why Do I Have to Go Through the Whole Dungeon when I Die in a Dungeon in ALttP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I die in a dungeon in A Link to the Past I will start at the beginning of the dungeon and have to go through the whole dungeon again to get where I was. It is especially annoying when I am at the boss and die. And as you can tell this is the first time I play A Link to the Past.

I barely want to play the game anymore because of it.
Do I really have to go through the whole dungeon when I die fighting the boss?

And btw is it like this on alla Zelda games?

That's Zelda, get used to it. :P
It's better than Zelda 2, there, you die 3 times, you go back to Hyrule Castle.
Now THAT was annoying.

Earthtemple

The Windfish's Therapist
Well, there's a few things you can do. You can get faeries, which revive you when you die. You can collect heart pieces to increase your life, and/or you could improve your sword. I'm not going to tell you how to do any of these things because I don't know whether you want to know or not. If you do want to know, you can go to the guide on ZD or whatever.

The other thing is that the game isn't meant to be easy. You are forced to remember the layout of the dungeons, and the earlier games make it harder for you if you die while using a guide, because you're more likely to get lost. The later games put shortcuts in so you can get into the temple faster. I actually think that some temples in Alttp do that too. Once you get the dungeon item, you can skip a part of the dungeon you already did.

Ganondork

goo
I think that it's because of the fact is that basically how all older Zelda games seem to work. Unlike many current Zelda games, you don't normally backtrack to get to the boss room, in A Link to the Past you normally just keep going through the dungeon - or going up or down floors - until you get the Big Key, and find the Boss Room. It's frustrating at times, but it really gives you reason to get all empty bottles and fill them with faries. That way if you do die against the boss, you can get back up and continue fighting.

Another thing that might have been the problem was that unlike in other Zelda games, you didn't have a mini-boss, so there wasn't a portal for you to step into and then be transported into that room. Although that might be a tad annoying, it actually adds to the difficulty that classic Zelda gives that newer Zeldas can't always seem to do.

But I don't really think that you should quit playing A Link to the Past just because of this, it's actually my favorite video game of all time. It saddens me to see that a fellow Zelda fan - those are growing thin - is giving up on such a wonderful game.

I am just playing it on an emulator on the computer now instead so I can save anywhere with help from "save states".

Yeah it maybe is kind of like a cheat, but I don't care.

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
Lol, Im playing Alttp right now :3 All classic Zeldas are like that, And it would not have a Hero feel if you didn't have to restart.

ALttP is my favorite game ever and when beaten you get a great feeling of accomplishment so don't give up. Newer titles give you shortcuts back to the boss room so it makes things easier.

Pen

The game is on!
In LA, OoS, OoA, WW, PH and ST there are several portals in each dungeon. That is very, very helpful in case you die much in the boss battles! :D

Yeah I have played TP, WW and PH before and in those games it's not the same(don't exactly remember though how it was). I do know that I didn't have to go through the whole dungeon again to get to the boss(as you said I think there was some kind of portal to get to the boss).

R

RupeeInTheRough

Because back then, video games were more challenging, and overall better. And mostly, because the programmers made it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom