• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Why Can't the Master Sword Do Skyward Strikes in Other Games?

Easy. The idea wasn't thought up yet.

But the Skyward Strike itself has, in a way, been featured in several games in the series in the form of the sword beam well before Skyward Sword was even thought up. Come to think of it, the original poster's question is a bit misleading. The question should have been "Why was the story behind the Skyward Strike sword beam not featured in other games in the series" or something to that effect...

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Reality-wise, the gameplay just wasn't developed to suit it.

If we were to put this in gaming terms, then it would be due to the Master Sword's power going dormant over time. There is quite a stretch between Skyward Sword and OoT, and during that time it most likely rested in its pedestal. Continuing on to Wind Waker--supposedly centuries later--we see the MS needed to be prayed to in order for its evil-banishing faculty to be restored. But in TP it's perfectly normal, as from the point we get it the Shadow Crystal turning Link into a wolf was shorn of its effects, and slew Ganondorf with ease thereafter.

Accordingly, I am inclined to say that the Master Sword's power lessened and requires replenishment every so often, which is the reason for its additional feats, such as the Skyward Strike, petering out, basically.

MW7

I know, but that was quite a bit different. That was only when we had full health. The Skyward Strike has to be charged up in order to be performed. The Skyward Strike itself wasn't thought up yet was my point.
So would you agree that the essential gameplay mechanic (projectile from sword) has been around since the original game, but Nintendo waited until 25 years later until Skyward Sword to actually give an explanation of how this works within the logic of the Zelda universe. In explaining how it works they also had to change the mechanics of the sword beam as well.

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
Well because Nintendo never thought of it. But if you want an actual explanation in the game, then I'll expain my thoughts. You would probably get your powers from Fi, but now that she's sleeping within the sword, you can't use a Skyward Strike. Maybe Demise being sealed into the sword has something to do with it. It is likely that the Skyward Strike is just a type of sword beam. If that's the case, then the Skyward Strike does exist in other games. It just goes by different names and techniques to be able to preform it. But I think in A Link to the Past, Link holds his sword up Skyward. But I haven't played that game for a while, so I'm not sure.

Fig

The Altruist
It is because Fi's spirit faded from the Master Sword when Link puts away the Master Sword back into its pedestal for the last time at the end of Skyward Sword.

D

Darkvia

I think the master sword did have the ability to use the skyward strike they just didn't know. I was finishing the legend of zelda oot again and noticed that at the end of the game before he kills ganon his sword lights up blue, could this be fi's power?

*EDIT*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhVyHRlEN14
skip to 2:35

Last edited by a moderator:
Skyward sword is the first 3D Zelda title to have the sword beam(exception MM), it was thought of in the 2D Zelda games, but they hadn't figured out a good way to implement it in the 3D world until SS. I don't think the left out the sword beam when OOT came around because they knew about SS in the future, and I don't think they added the sword beams because it would help with the timeline either. I think that the sword beams were added to SS for game-play purposes only, and they created a little reason around it so it would make since, but I don't think it goes any further then it just being a game-play element.

The real answer is that obviously that the developers never thought about it in the past, at least not as part of the story and the same way its done in SS

Now, if you want some explanation for the world in the games, then as many have said, it would have something to do with Fi or Demise.

But adding something to the theory, [EVEN MORE SPOILERS!] when we fight Demise, we are in a battlefield created by Demise, and when we are battling here its the only time when the sword cant do skyward strikes, because the power of the Goddess is negated. This may help to explain how Demise in the Master Sword can negate this power or that the Goddess power has disappeared/has weakened/cant reach the Master Sword

Now, at the beginning of the game we are asked to rise the sword so it can be bathed by the sacred light in the chamber of the goddess sword, maybe this power faded.

Why the sword can do a Sword Beam in ALTTP? I can think about two theories:

Skip to 1:05

Link pulls the master sword and rise it skyward, then the sword shows lighting

The other theory lays in the difference of how we do skyward strikes in ALTTP and SS, in skyward sword we can do it almost at any moment (the only time we cant is already mentioned) by rising the sword, the way it works is probably so we don't spam sword beams, it would be to easy that way. But in ALTTP and in many other games, the sword beam can only be done when we have full health, link need to use his own strength to activate the power.

Now, the Ether Medallion in ALTTP reminds me of the fight with Demise

Skip to 3:30

I think the master sword did have the ability to use the skyward strike they just didn't know. I was finishing the legend of zelda oot again and noticed that at the end of the game before he kills ganon his sword lights up blue, could this be fi's power?

*EDIT*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhVyHRlEN14
skip to 2:35

You have two interesting points, no one has explained link how to use the skyward stike, maybe XD. The other is the blue light with the MS at the end of OoT, seems like an interesting theory

LinkPTY

Skyward Wiimote
Maybe because Fi is sleeping (I don't recall reading anything stating Fi powers up the sword so I'm guessing here) or maybe Demise's essence prevents the sword from charging the strike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom