• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Are Wii Left Out?

Graphics don't matter? I'm sorry, but this day in age of gaming they do. Especially with first person shooters. People who say that graphics don't matter in a game is like saying that peanutbutter doesn't matter in a PB&J sandwhich. What do you have without the peanutbutter, a jelly sandwhich? Nobody wants that, and that goes for graphics too. Everybody, I think, appreciates the good graphics Xbox and Playstation bring to the table for games. How they weigh the graphics factor into the final rating of the game differs though. I'm not saying that graphics don't make the game because they do not. However, it shouldn't be ignored and the Wii lacks graphics and should ultimately be penalized for it.

Another reason why people probably hate on the Wii is because of it's controler. Me personally, I hate motion controls and I think most things would be better off staying at the controler level the Xbox 360 and PS3 have until technology for motion controls improves. First person shoots, again in my opinion, suck with the Wii remote. It's so sketchy when trying to aim with the Wii pointer and it just gets super tedious after a while. When I play CoD on the Xbox, it's fluid control scheme makes it enjoyable because you don't have a stupid Wii sensor bar messing everything up for you.

The live the Wii has sucks as well and that factors into it not catering to hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers are competitive people and try to be the best that they can be in a certain game. That's where live comes in where they can compete around the globe against other people. The Nintendo exclusive games for the Wii aren't as hardcore and challenging as some of the other games for the PS3 and Xbox 360. Do you seriously think an intense gamer is going to pick Mario Party for the Wii over Uncharted 3 for the PS3? I didn't think so. Also, don't interpret what I'm saying as the Wii doesn't have good games. They do. They just don't cater to the hardcore gaming fanbase as much as the other two consoles do.

The Wii also gets a reputation for being the "immature" console out of the three. Games like Mario Party, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, Mario Kart, Pokemon, don't really sell its case well to the mature audience. Now I'm not saying that those games are for kids only but they certainly don't compare to a hardcore shooter like CoD or an expanisve RPG like Skyrim. They're simple games with a low difficulty level and that's not what the overwhelming demographic is looking for right now. What the Wii, or Wii U, needs is an exclusive title only for their console that will attract that type of audience and not just the lazy gamer audience like some of my friends.

Now this might sound like I'm bashing the Wii system a lot but that's not the case at all. I love the Wii. But it certainly gets left out like you said and here are some reasons why. While some of it is opinionated I still feel they're valid reasons as to why the Wii doesn't do so well and get so much attention in publishing magazines. Nintendo is and will contrinue to be one of the best gaming industrys this world will ever see but they need to catch up with the times in some ways I think.

Big Octo

=^)
Nintendo has had a notorious reputation for not treating third parties very well. One of the main reasons being is that each of their past console systems have had a gimmick in one form or another. As Koolshots mentioned, the Wii's case is the controller, making many games centered around motion controlls. This is fine for exclusive games, but appalling for multiplatform games that originally had traditional controls, such as the CoD Wii ports. Hopefully, Nintendo can lighten up in the future, but things seem dreery already for the WiiU, as the tablet controller could very well be a gimmick.

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
Graphics don't matter? I'm sorry, but this day in age of gaming they do.

I meant that graphics don't matter when it comes to a systems capability. In a way they do, like you can't make Call of Duty in 8-Bit, but the Wii's graphics do not hold back the systems capability or functionality. That's what I was trying to say. I probably should've explained more.

Another reason why people probably hate on the Wii is because of it's controler. Me personally, I hate motion controls and I think most things would be better off staying at the controler level the Xbox 360 and PS3 have until technology for motion controls improves. First person shoots, again in my opinion, suck with the Wii remote. It's so sketchy when trying to aim with the Wii pointer and it just gets super tedious after a while. When I play CoD on the Xbox, it's fluid control scheme makes it enjoyable because you don't have a stupid Wii sensor bar messing everything up for you.

Just because you have a Wii Remote doesn't mean that there has to be motion controls. The two great fighters I mentioned, Naruto Shippuden: Clash of Ninja Revolution 3 and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars both use the standard Wii Remote and Nunchuck, but they do not use motion controls. And like I'm saying to Big Octo below, just because you have the Wii doesn't mean you have to use the Wii Remote. There's always the classic controller.

The live the Wii has sucks as well and that factors into it not catering to hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers are competitive people and try to be the best that they can be in a certain game. That's where live comes in where they can compete around the globe against other people. The Nintendo exclusive games for the Wii aren't as hardcore and challenging as some of the other games for the PS3 and Xbox 360. Do you seriously think an intense gamer is going to pick Mario Party for the Wii over Uncharted 3 for the PS3? I didn't think so. Also, don't interpret what I'm saying as the Wii doesn't have good games. They do. They just don't cater to the hardcore gaming fanbase as much as the other two consoles do.

The Wii also gets a reputation for being the "immature" console out of the three. Games like Mario Party, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, Mario Kart, Pokemon, don't really sell its case well to the mature audience. Now I'm not saying that those games are for kids only but they certainly don't compare to a hardcore shooter like CoD or an expanisve RPG like Skyrim. They're simple games with a low difficulty level and that's not what the overwhelming demographic is looking for right now. What the Wii, or Wii U, needs is an exclusive title only for their console that will attract that type of audience and not just the lazy gamer audience like some of my friends.

These are the very valid reasons you give. The Wii lacks so overly much in online support, it's what I hate most about the console. Having more hardcore games as well would increase popularity greatly in not just the Wii alone, but all of Nintendo.

Nintendo has had a notorious reputation for not treating third parties very well. One of the main reasons being is that each of their past console systems have had a gimmick in one form or another. As Koolshots mentioned, the Wii's case is the controller, making many games centered around motion controlls. This is fine for exclusive games, but appalling for multiplatform games that originally had traditional controls, such as the CoD Wii ports. Hopefully, Nintendo can lighten up in the future, but things seem dreery already for the WiiU, as the tablet controller could very well be a gimmick.

While I see the point that you make, this can be avoided. Who says you can't make a game that requires the Wii Classic Controller? That thing is designed exactly like the PS3 conrtroller, so they could make a game that doesn't use the Wii Remote, just a classic controller.

And what you said about the Wii U, third-party support is already looking stellar to me, with Darksiders II and Tekken being confirmed, and other great third-party hardcore games. Instead of the tablet being a gimmicky setback, I think it will allow third-parties to add new features too Wii U ports instead of having to dumb them down.

Last edited:
Koosholts already nailed it. Might elaborate just a bit more though...

It's really not about the graphics, it's about the power and storage, which Wii seriously lacks. SD graphics aside, the Wii also has storage limitations without a hardware and expanding memory via SD card is inconvenient. Sure, a title may need to be dumbed down for graphics but storage causes an even greater problem for porting Megaton hits onto the Wii.

Also, the whole party and minigame mentality that plagues the Wii is to blame on Nintendo. Wii Sports is the clear culprit, which started the landslide. Also, ports are another major problem. Again, Nintendo is to be blamed here with its porting of Twilight Princess to Wii at the last second.

The Wii's image is also certainly not helped by negative gaming media towards motion controls. "Hardcore" gamers adamantly cry that buttons are the only true way to play videogames. There may be some truth in this statement, however, as Nintendo itself seems to be targeting this audience with the Wii U-which unsurprisingly is at its core a return to the button method of playing that the company last pushed with the Gamecube. Casual gaming is now Free-to-play and on smartphones. Glad to see Nintendo getting into swing with the music of the age.

Above all, the Wii's largest problem is its online infrastructure. This is definitely the nail in the coffin for Nintendo's small box. Whereas the XBOX 360 and Playstation 3 are able to provide demos, DLC, movie and TV streaming, party chat, game joining features, and more, the Wii is able to perform only a portion of those operations and not anywhere near as effectively. Fortunately, the company has been moving toward a sleeker shop interface and more stable online with the 3DS and there is no doubt the same won't be done with the upcoming Wii U especially with the recently announced Nintendo Network. The possibilities are endless and Nintendo better not fumble the ball this time around.

Last edited:
First of all, people who say the Wii sucks should shut up if they don't even own the console. All that people care about is graphics and hardware and the Wii is for kids. If the Wii is for kids, then what in the name of all that is holy is the PS2 then? It had poor hardware compared to the GC and XBox and for some reason people in this day of age are complaining that the Wii sucks because it isn't powerful. I don't have anything against the consoles mainly because I am a gamer, but what makes me mad are the people who only stick to one console and say that the other consoles suck. One time I heard someone said that the PS3 was the worst console since the Wii. I wish we can all accept the fact that every console has its pros and cons and we don't have to fight over which console was the best.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Wii have less than a year until the WiiU is announced and possibly distributed for purchase. If this is so, development on shooters and solid hardcore fighters has begun, and it will be updated on to a new system. Let's take a step back and observe this for a moment. The Wii as we know will soon become outdated, replaced by a heavier, more powerful running console. On this console there'll be loads more potential for great games, like those you mentioned, along with many more. But the worth of the Wii is almost up, and even with the months we have left I believe Nintendo would rather expend their efforts on preparing for the fresher WiiU than its predecessor, even with its indubitable capability for improvement.

Furthermore, the WiiU is going to combat the Xbox and Playstation with its High Definition graphics. It comes with touchscreen controllers that cover more options for the player to toggle with and, from what I know, allows them to opt for certain settings on all sorts of scales. With this massive switch in marketing the face of gaming as we know it will transform from Nintendo's side as well, and plausibly from its major competitors, who'll no doubt answer in kind.

So, altogether the Wii is being left out in exchange for something greater. The same thing happened with the GameCube, which still had the potential at its time, but relinquished its station to the Wii. This exact thing will continue with other platforms in the future as more innovative features are uncovered and worked into the system. Lastly, games that go magnificently with the older console could also be upgraded to the newer one and be better overall, if it fit in well enough.

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
Koosholts already nailed it. Might elaborate just a bit more though...

It's really not about the graphics, it's about the power and storage, which Wii seriously lacks. SD graphics aside, the Wii also has storage limitations without a hardware and expanding memory via SD card is inconvenient. Sure, a title may need to be dumbed down for graphics but storage causes an even greater problem for porting Megaton hits onto the Wii.

This particularly annoys me. I have to keep deleting stuff to download more Virtual Console. Why Nintendo? :kawaii:

The Wii's image is also certainly not helped by negative gaming media towards motion controls. "Hardcore" gamers adamantly cry that buttons are the only true way to play videogames. There may be some truth in this statement, however, as Nintendo itself seems to be targeting this audience with the Wii U-which unsurprisingly is at its core a return to the button method of playing that the company last pushed with the Gamecube. Casual gaming is now Free-to-play and on smartphones. Glad to see Nintendo getting into swing with the music of the age.

As I said before, there's always the classic controller, but yes, I do also prefer buttons over motion controls. Maybe that's why I like the Gamecube better than the Wii...

Above all, the Wii's largest problem is its online infrastructure. This is definitely the nail in the coffin for Nintendo's small box. Whereas the XBOX 360 and Playstation 3 are able to provide demos, DLC, movie and TV streaming, party chat, game joining features, and more, the Wii is able to perform only a portion of those operations and not anywhere near as effectively. Fortunately, the company has been moving toward a sleeker shop interface and more stable online with the 3DS and there is no doubt the same won't be done with the upcoming Wii U especially with the recently announced Nintendo Network. The possibilities are endless and Nintendo better not fumble the ball this time around.

Wii have Netflix, Wii have demos, Wii have DLC (not extra in-game content, but just full games from the Wii shop). Wii only lack party chat and game joining features, which I pray will be included in the Wii U.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Two reasons.
  1. The Wii is underpowered. Say what you want about graphics not being everything. But the power behind the machine has to do with way more than graphics. It has to do with absolutely everything. Like how good the AI can be, how advanced things can be, etc. Everything about a game needs processing power and RAM, and the Wii simply lacks that. Graphics are only one thing. So people really need to stop thinking that graphics are the issue when people complain about the Wii's power, because it's not the issue. Because the Wii vastly underpowered, it's rather expensive to develop a game to all three systems because it has to be stripped down to fit onto the Wii. That means a lot of work removing features.
  2. The controls. You can say they're innovative. Perhaps they are, that's not the point. The controls are rather difficult to use. And I mean on the developer side, not the player side. Just because you might find the controls simple and natural doesn't mean that they're easy to code. They're not. It's very difficult. So it's another added expense. Combine that with the previous problem and you get even more of a reason why it's not cost-effective to port to the Wii as well as the 360 and PS3.
Developing a good Wii version is a risky investment. You can't be sure you'd turn enough profit to cover your cost. You want to know why the Wii is "left out" all the time? It's because Nintendo insisted on being so different.

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
Wii have less than a year until the WiiU is announced and possibly distributed for purchase. If this is so, development on shooters and solid hardcore fighters has begun, and it will be updated on to a new system. Let's take a step back and observe this for a moment. The Wii as we know will soon become outdated, replaced by a heavier, more powerful running console. On this console there'll be loads more potential for great games, like those you mentioned, along with many more. But the worth of the Wii is almost up, and even with the months we have left I believe Nintendo would rather expend their efforts on preparing for the fresher WiiU than its predecessor, even with its indubitable capability for improvement.

Furthermore, the WiiU is going to combat the Xbox and Playstation with its High Definition graphics. It comes with touchscreen controllers that cover more options for the player to toggle with and, from what I know, allows them to opt for certain settings on all sorts of scales. With this massive switch in marketing the face of gaming as we know it will transform from Nintendo's side as well, and plausibly from its major competitors, who'll no doubt answer in kind.

So, altogether the Wii is being left out in exchange for something greater. The same thing happened with the GameCube, which still had the potential at its time, but relinquished its station to the Wii. This exact thing will continue with other platforms in the future as more innovative features are uncovered and worked into the system. Lastly, games that go magnificently with the older console could also be upgraded to the newer one and be better overall, if it fit in well enough.

This was mostly reflecting on the past year or so, but yeah, Nintendo is really preparing for the Wii U, which increases my hopes that Nintendo will dominate the market with it's 7.5 gen. console. (It's not 8th gen, because it's early, the Wii U was really made to catch up with Sony and Microsoft.)

Two reasons.
  1. The Wii is underpowered. Say what you want about graphics not being everything. But the power behind the machine has to do with way more than graphics. It has to do with absolutely everything. Like how good the AI can be, how advanced things can be, etc. Everything about a game needs processing power and RAM, and the Wii simply lacks that. Graphics are only one thing. So people really need to stop thinking that graphics are the issue when people complain about the Wii's power, because it's not the issue. Because the Wii vastly underpowered, it's rather expensive to develop a game to all three systems because it has to be stripped down to fit onto the Wii. That means a lot of work removing features.
  2. The controls. You can say they're innovative. Perhaps they are, that's not the point. The controls are rather difficult to use. And I mean on the developer side, not the player side. Just because you might find the controls simple and natural doesn't mean that they're easy to code. They're not. It's very difficult. So it's another added expense. Combine that with the previous problem and you get even more of a reason why it's not cost-effective to port to the Wii as well as the 360 and PS3.
Developing a good Wii version is a risky investment. You can't be sure you'd turn enough profit to cover your cost. You want to know why the Wii is "left out" all the time? It's because Nintendo insisted on being so different.

Valid points, sir. :yes: That's probably why Nintendo is making the Wii U, to catch up with PS3's and 360's power.

This was mostly reflecting on the past year or so, but yeah, Nintendo is really preparing for the Wii U, which increases my hopes that Nintendo will dominate the market with it's 7.5 gen. console. (It's not 8th gen, because it's early, the Wii U was really made to catch up with Sony and Microsoft.)

You say graphics don't matter but that's heavily implied when you coin the Wii U as 7.5 generation console. You've got some contradictions going, Mr. Hero. :(

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
You say graphics don't matter but that's heavily implied when you coin the Wii U as 7.5 generation console. You've got some contradictions going, Mr. Hero. :(

When I say graphics don't matter, I really mean people shouldn't only judge a system only on graphics.

J

Jing

While I would have loved to see more support come to the Wii during this past generation, the fact of the matter was there was a limit on the Wiis overall performance, many companies simply didn't want to tone down the amount of content in their game simply to publish it on the Wii. If you want a comparison, Dead Rising and Dead Rising: Chop till you drop is one of the best examples in terms of how limited the Wii actually was. Instead of around 800 or so zombies appearing in the screen on the 360 there could only be 100 or so on the Wii. The map of the mall was also scaled down. Now the way the WiiU (or whatever they end up calling it) it seems like it is a bit different as many companies such as Valve, Tecmo, Rocksteady, Gearbox, and Ubisoft all have interest and/or planned games for the Console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom