• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who would replace Aonuma?

It's funny, 5 years ago I asked what would Zelda's 30th anniversary would be like. Here we are.

Those of you who watch Doctor Who know that showrunner Steven Moffat is stepping down. So, with this happening, I look to Eiji Aonuma. We all know someday he's going to be stepping away from being main producer. Looking at who else is in the series, from other producers to game directors, who do you think could have the potential to one day take Aonuma's place?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Michael Bay. Imagine a futuristic Zelda game with bazookas, grenades, atom bombs, etc. Explosions galore. We'll blow the **** out of Ganondorf.

Last edited:

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
Hiromasa Shikata obviously! :)

Michael Bay. Imagine a futuristic Zelda game with bazookas, grenades, atom bombs, etc. Explosions galore. We'll blow the **** out of Ganondorf.

lol! Imagining Ganon getting blown to bits made me laugh a little! :)

Anyway, what's with you people making a big deal Michael Bay and explosions?! Like everyone always keeps talking about that. Like wtf? So what if the guy just happens to make a lot of movies that just so happen to involve explosions in some way. A lot of movies have explosions. People need to get over that. Seriously.

Yes, that's exactly why I said this. I appreciate the old masters of Nintendo, but I also realize they're stuck in their ways and we need a strong generation of younger devs to replace them. Considering that Splatoon was their first game, I think that team has lots of potential.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Someone younger and less set in their ways than Aounuma. I have been of the opinion that Aounuma has needed to go for a while now. He has been holding the series back and allowed it to become stagnant and mediocre.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
MonolithSoft, or just Tatsuya Takahashi would be fine. He started out working for Squaresoft back in the day and lent a hand with classics such as Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy 7, and Chrono Trigger. Eventually he broke away to form MonolithSoft and developed Xenogears, Xenosaga: Episode I/II/III, and the Xenoblade games. I also recall reading someplace that he and his team would be willing to help out with Zelda, if the opportunity presented itself...

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
MonolithSoft, or just Tatsuya Takahashi would be fine. He started out working for Squaresoft back in the day and lent a hand with classics such as Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy 7, and Chrono Trigger. Eventually he broke away to form MonolithSoft and developed Xenogears, Xenosaga: Episode I/II/III, and the Xenoblade games. I also recall reading someplace that he and his team would be willing to help out with Zelda, if the opportunity presented itself...
MonolithSoft has already assisted the development of Skyward Sword, and A Link Between Worlds as well.

Djinn

and Tonic
The way things have been going, I am thinking that Nintendo is in desperate need of new blood.

someone that does not want to keep things squarely in the 80's and hold back development in favor of new and weirder control gimmicks. Sadly Nintendo only really hires and attracts people who are die hard fans of the whole traditional Nintendo concept. So most up and comers will want to repeat what Aonuma and Miyamoto have been doing for years.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I don't think the Zelda main series should be handed over to a third party (at least, not yet anyways), second party, or another team.

I really do think that Hiromasa Shikata should be the one to take Aonuma's place. He's already up and ready for the task. Plus, he's already starting to take a bigger part in the interviews revolving around Zelda and even Zelda games altogether like Aonuma did last decade. I really do think he's going to be the next producer. And I think he might turn out to be better than Aonuma has been lately than we may think. :)

Shikata is somewhat younger than Aonuma after all. Aonuma is now around the same age as Miyamoto was when Aonuma take Miyamoto's place as producer. And now Shikata seems about the same age Aonuma was when he became producer. So it makes sense that Shikata is definitely the next in line.

That said, Zelda U may be Aonuma's last big Zelda project. That could be why he wants the game to be so perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom