• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Zelda Game Do You Think It's a "must-play"?

Which one?

• LoZ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AoL

• ALttP

• LA

• OoT

• MM

• OoS

• OoA

• TWW

• TMC

• TP

• PH

• ST

• Total voters

Twilight

Storming Twilight
I think the thread's name is a little confusing, so I'll give a better explanation here.

Which Zelda game do you think people must play to be familiar with all of the other games? Or, which Zelda game do you think that is the heart of them all? What I mean with those words is, which game do you think that people should play, because by playing it you'll get used with all of the other Zelda games.

I think it's still confusing, but since you guys are smart, you'll catch it! So, which one do you think that is a must play(and why)?

In my own opinion, I think that it is Ocarina of Time. For me, it's the main game even though it's not the first. It was(and still is!) very played, and I think that, by playing OoT, the other games that are about to release or were recently released will sound familiar, because of the story, the characters... Link... Even though all stories are different. I think they all have a connection with OoT's. Plus OoT was like, the 2th most played Zelda game ever. Soooooo!

I've made a poll to collect you guys's opinions! Happy posting! ~

GerudoDesert

I love being gay.
IMO, I chose Ocarina of Time because it introduces a lot of the characters that you will begin to see all through-out the Series. Now, I understand that a lot of those characters were already introduced in the earlier games, but I feel that Ocarina of Time elaborates more specifically. It tells you how Link ended up in Kokiri Forest, what a Goron is, what a Zora is, who Ganondorf is, and how the Triforce came to be. I feel that this game explains everything in an "easy to understand" way.

Danigo92498

Someone You Met Online
IMO, I chose Ocarina of Time because it introduces a lot of the characters that you will begin to see all through-out the Series. Now, I understand that a lot of those characters were already introduced in the earlier games, but I feel that Ocarina of Time elaborates more specifically. It tells you how Link ended up in Kokiri Forest, what a Goron is, what a Zora is, who Ganondorf is, and how the Triforce came to be. I feel that this game explains everything in an "easy to understand" way.

I agree and I'd like to add that it's probably the best for beginners because of it's simplicity and the fact it's fun to play. I also would've chose WW because it's more mordern and appeals to more people because of that.

Even thought I like them equally, AlttP should be THE Zelda Game, third game, and it is the first one to make Zelda what it is now (of course the first (TLoZ) created the basics, but not enough for what zelda is now)

I think they all have a connection with OoT's.

Yeah, but play AlttP and tell me Ocarina didn't take anything from it (And with that I mean A LOT)

AlttP:

-The story is very similar to OoT
, Ganons alter ego present to the king just to take control, Link must get the three pendants to get the master sword to let him defeat Agahnim. Later he must rescue the seven sages spirit maidens descendant from the sages who sealed Ganon. At the end Link must enter Ganons Tower, to fight Agahnim just to reveal the true enemy is the monster Ganon

-Many classic items were introduced for the first time, like the Hookshot, diferent tunics mails (but in TLoZ we also changed the color of our tunic with rings), the pegasus boots, the mirror shield, the power glove, the fire rod, the lantern, bug catching net, the cane of Somaria, the flute, which design should have inspired this of the Ocarina of Time, and how to forget, the master sword

-Its one of the first to seriously set the Zelda lore, (the Goddness and the creation of the world, sacred realm...)

-Added recurrent gameplay mechanics, like the magic metter, the heart containers, and the empty bottles... and the Cucco Revenge Squad :P

-Through many zelda games there has been two "worlds", it could be the past/present, the twilight realm, etc, this mechanic was first introduced in AlttP, not to mention it is more interactive with ability two change worlds faster.

-There are many classic places in the Zelda Series, in the NES days we had Death Mountain and the Lost Woods, AlttP keep those and added others like Lake Hylia, Kakariko Village, the Hyrule Castle, etc.

-There werent minigames in Zelda until this game :P

-It introduced classic zelda enemies

-Was the first to have themed dungeons, like water, desert, etc.

-Set many of the most famous Zelda music, recurring music not present in the first two games are Zeldas Lullaby, Ganons Theme, Hyrule Castle, Kakariko Village, Fairys Theme, Master Sword (the sound that plays when you take the master sword from the pedestal), etc, along with a lot of classic Zelda themes that for any reason are not that recurrent, like the Dark World theme

-And something I may be forgetting :/

MW7

I'd say A Link to the Past because every console release except Majora's Mask is clearly influenced in terms of plot progression by that game. OOT and TP are the closest with actually having three quest items to collect in three dungeons then turn you around to collect more of something exactly as ALTTP did. WW has three things to collect before the focus of the quest changes but only two are in dungeons. SS has three dungeons before the focus of the plot changes, but the quest items you obtain weren't your focus so it's kind of different. However, after the plot changes OOT, TP, and SS are all rip-offs of ALTTP in that they have you collect a certain number of something. At least WW was focused on specific goals after collecting the three quest items which opened up one at a time until the final two dungeons, necessitating a linear progression and breaking from the mold of ALTTP. OOT was basically ALTTP in 3d, and the other two borrowed heavily from ALTTP's formula as well (SS to a lesser extent) but forced linearity for no reason in the second half of the respective games.

To sum up if you've played ALTTP, you can summarize all but one of the major console releases since then in a nutshell. So basically I'm saying ALTTP is the essence of what Zelda is. It's the heart and it's THE game. All IMO of course though.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I say Ocarina of Time. It's one of the most classic games and was very influential to games following. While it's not my favourite game, it seems to be the most popular.

I'd say A Link to the Past because every console release except Majora's Mask is clearly influenced in terms of plot progression by that game. OOT and TP are the closest with actually having three quest items to collect in three dungeons then turn you around to collect more of something exactly as ALTTP did. WW has three things to collect before the focus of the quest changes but only two are in dungeons. SS has three dungeons before the focus of the plot changes, but the quest items you obtain weren't your focus so it's kind of different. However, after the plot changes OOT, TP, and SS are all rip-offs of ALTTP in that they have you collect a certain number of something. At least WW was focused on specific goals after collecting the three quest items which opened up one at a time until the final two dungeons, necessitating a linear progression and breaking from the mold of ALTTP. OOT was basically ALTTP in 3d, and the other two borrowed heavily from ALTTP's formula as well (SS to a lesser extent) but forced linearity for no reason in the second half of the respective games.

To sum up if you've played ALTTP, you can summarize all but one of the major console releases since then in a nutshell. So basically I'm saying ALTTP is the essence of what Zelda is. It's the heart and it's THE game. All IMO of course though.

Well someone could argue that if you play OoT than you can summarize all of the major console releases as well, since it had that same plot development as ALTTP. It's interchangable with your argument. But like you said, its all your opinion, and ALLTP was released first so I see where you're coming from.

Me personally I think Wind Waker should be the one everyone plays. It has a good balance of linearity and nonlinearity so it prepares you for the other games in the series. It's collecting aspect will prepare players for future Zeldas, because I speculate others will have the - collecting treasures/bugs for upgrades mechanic - like SS did. IMO it had the best character development of any series up until Skyward Sword. Last but not least, it has a surplus of sidequests and a moderate length of the main quest.

I think Wind Waker has a good mixture of elements in the series that would make new players most accustom to other Zelda games.

I voted for OoT, becuase I feel that it is both storywise and gameplay-wise the new quintessence of the series, a title earlier held by AlttP. It would introduce the new player to both the basic game mechanics of the series as well as its overall mythology.

OoT expanded the lore of AlttP, but also re-imagined Hyrule and transformed the still medivael-inspired Hyrule of AlttP (which there is nothing wrong with) into the vibrant Hyrule we know today. The last three major console titles: Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess and Wind Waker are all direct pre- or sequels to Ocarina of Time. Also, many tribes, like the Gorons and the (Sea) Zoras, were introduced in this game.

OoT took Zelda into the world of 3D, and consequently, needed to introduce many new aspects that were later used in subsequent 3D-titles, features such as Z-targeting and the idea of having distinct areas linked to a certain tribe (this was, though, partially inspired by AoL). The idea of having more than one item usable at a time was also introduced in this game, alongside Epona, who would later serve as a basis for subsequent transportation methods.

/Blue Window

MW7

Depends. From a story perspective it has to be OoT as most of the series plot hinges around the developments in this game. If you're going simply for gameplay I'd probably say aLttP and if it was for combat I'd say SS. Despite WW being my favourite, it doesn't really hold much ground in any of these aspects.

That's a good point, a person's answer really depends on how he/she chooses to interpret the question. Perspective plays a large role.

H

Howl

For me, it was a toss-up between ALttP and OoT, since both introduce core features that became consistent throughout the series. In the end, though, I went with OoT, only because it seems more accessible to any newcomers to the games.

For me, i would have to say OoT, ALttP is a close second, and i mean close, cucco002 makes some very good points. Although i play OoT more, and i believe it does a better job explaining the triforce's creation, how link, zelda, and ganon/ganondorf are all intertwined to the triforce, and the story that became a legend. So OoT time is a must play for people wanting to understand the series.

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
Good questions, JuicieJ. Also, where are FS and FSA?

Ocarina of Time is the obvious choice. Other games good for replaying are Skyward Sword, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask, A Link to the Past and Ancient Stone Tablets.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Everyone has their own opinion of what a "must-play" game is. But I have no doubt that most people are going to agree with Ocarina of Time being a "must-play" game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom