• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past Which Name Do You Prefer?

Preferred A Link to the Past Name

• A Link to the Past

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Triforce of the Gods

• Unsure

• Made my own

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
A Link to the Past is a phenomenal game, but it lacks one key thing: it's real name. In Japan, it's called Triforce of the Gods, and ALBW is Triforce of the Gods 2. This name was not used originally due to Nintendo of America's policy against using religious themes in their games.

Which name do you prefer? I prefer Triforce of the Gods. I mean it sounds more epic and it actually relates to the game. I mean what is being "linked" to the past anyway? What do you think? Do you have a batter name for the game?

Salem

SICK
I like a Link to the past's NA subtitle but I think they could have a Triforce related subtitle that doesn't have the word "God" in it, for example:

1-Triforce Quest
2-Triforce Saga(who'll get that reference?)

Or they could do something else instead like:

"Mirror of Two Worlds"
It references the mirror that takes Link who back from the dark world(frankly, I think it's an overlooked iconic item of the franchise) and the dual world mechanics, which is something unique to this game thus far(unless you count OoT, TP, ALBW, etc).

Last edited:

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
So...they don't want religious themes, but they mention goddesses in OoT and MM, gods in TP and WW? And SS has a full blown religious thing? Doesnt make sense. Unless you say they changed their mind when they made OoT, if only a little, because of the muslim things that got removed.

I like Link to the Past better, dunno why...even though there is no time travel in it and Sroa's Mirror of Two Worlds would be better.

Salem

SICK
So...they don't want religious themes, but they mention goddesses in OoT and MM, gods in TP and WW? And SS has a full blown religious thing? Doesnt make sense. Unless you say they changed their mind when they made OoT, if only a little, because of the muslim things that got removed.

I like Link to the Past better, dunno why...even though there is no time travel in it and Sroa's Mirror of Two Worlds would be better.
In the early 1980s and early to mid 1990s, Nintendo of America had a policy of censoring religious themes in video games, I don't know when exactly did they remove that policy, but it was probably during 1995ish, I don't know.

Also, thanks.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I honestly like the name Triforce of the Gods more. I just sounds more epic and makes more sense than A Link to the Past. I don't like how they had to change the entie name because it had the word god in it, but A Link to the Past is still a pretty good name.

I don't like the name Triforce of the Gods 2 though. Each Zelda title should have it's own unique name. A Link Between Worlds is an awesome name and it makes me want to play the game even more for some reason.

That's all just my opinion though.

Big Octo

=^)
I refer to the game as A Link to the Past, but I think Triforce of the Gods is a better name. To me, it sounds much better in almost every way. Also, it makes more apparent sense than A Link to the Past, which is just a reference to how this game is chronologically before the original Legend of Zelda and Zelda II. If only Nintendo weren't so strict about religous refrences in games back then.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I don't really know it's hard to say.

Triforce of the Gods sounds much more epic and more fitting to the story

But Link to the Past rolls off the tongue more easily and is such an iconic name now

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Triforce of the Gods! Why? Mainly for timeline theory conjecture. Link to the Past is a very suggestive title, and apparently, should not be.
And learning that ALBW is known as Triforce of the Gods 2...! Come on, huge difference there.

Though, to be honest, Triforce of the Gods is no way sounds like a Zelda game of any kind to me. I think A Link to the Past sounds more Zelda-ish. But still, I'd go with Triforce of the Gods.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Triforce of the Gods. What in the name of Hylia does A Link to the Past have to do with the game? There is no time travel in that game at all! I mean, I know it was a reference to the fact that the game is a prequel, but it doesn't make sense in this day and age.

It definitely should have been called A Link Between Worlds. :right:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I refer to A Link to the Past as "Ayy ell tee tee pee" (ALttP). So I can't tell you which name I'd prefer. Triforce of the Gods (TotG) is a pain in the youknowwhat to type so I get A Link to the Past is the better one. Maybe I'm just used to ALttP but idk.

Regarding A Link Between Worlds, I think that name is effing stupid and should die off. I much prefer A Link to the Past 2 or something similar to that. Actually no, scratch that. I prefer calling it ZeldaBLT.

superHKedit:

Actually, I dislike the name Triforce of the Gods. It implies that the Triforce has two versions: the human used one and the god used one. However as we all know with Skyward Wood, only mortal beings can make use fo the Triforce. So if TotG was the name of any Zelda game, it'd likely get a lot of backlash AND confusion. ;)

Last edited:

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I've always referred to games by their given English names when compared to other languages/translated variations. Granted Triforce of the Gods sounds like a much better title than A Link to the Past, I'm simply much more comfortable referring to the game as ALttP, not TotG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom