• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Which is Your Favorite Timeline/worst Timeline

Now i'm sure we all love each individual Zelda game, but whether you like all the Zelda games or not, certain timelines just dont make these games shine at all. So which timeline do you like the least?

LET ME CLARIFY: This isn't about which timeline had the best games, which timeline had the worst games, but which timeline (which segment of time and the events that transpired) appeals to you the most or least.

My Favorite Timeline:
My Favorite Timeline has to be the Child TImeline, mainly because its the one that hasn't been ruined by much. There's Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princes....it shows us what a 3D Zelda should look like too. Four Swords Adventure makes no sense to me as to why its even in the timeline. But its so miniscule that it can be overlooked quite easily.

My internal Debate on which is my Least Favorite Timeline:
The fallen Hero timeline was once my favorite Timeline. the lore was consistent, the revival of Ganon wasn't too redundant, and overall it was really interconnected. But suddenly ALBW does some retconning ALttP, and i initially liked the idea of the triforce being split up officially confirmed somewhere in the timeline, but the game makes it about it being reunited. So now Ganon was revived. ALBW really makes the timeline super redundant. the beautifully, well thought-out, timeline just goes to Ganon being defeated and resurrected thrice and the Triforce being split up and reunited Twice.

But then there's the Adult Timeline (that ironically pushes for more cartoony child-like links). It really just the timeline designed to not be Zelda-like. It breaks most of the conventions, and most of the lore that the series has built. Worst of all, this timeline has an intentional "ending" by inventing a new lore (spirit tracks) that really was designed for a single game. So its like pressing the rest button once again. I wouldn't have mind so much if the Adult Timeline tried a little bit more to stay with the current lore rather than pressing the reset button, and maybe i wouldn't mind if it had a more continuous sequels like Phantom Hourglass.....But Spirit Tracks really looks like the end. And i'm sure there can be more games after Spirit Track, but i have feeling they'll have to press the reset button once again.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Favorite: Child timeline. Adult timeline isn't too bad, but...eh, I want Hyrule. <.<

Least Favorite: Fallen Timeline. It makes no sense, the storyline of the timeline as a whole is poor, and it should just be an uncanon AU.

Favorite: Child timeline. Adult timeline isn't too bad, but...eh, I want Hyrule. <.<

Least Favorite: Fallen Timeline. It makes no sense, the storyline of the timeline as a whole is poor, and it should just be an uncanon AU.

It used to make perfect sense, or at least it transitioned well....A Link to the Past was more or less the definitive exemplary Zelda that really just explain the origin of the first 2 (whether or not the first 2 are relevant). then we have Link's Awakening, a gaiden to the original. And then Orace games take place between the two (details suggest Ages came first, then seasons).

ALttP also clarified that the Master Sword be sealed "forever" the splitting of the triforce confirmed in ALBW was a nice touch to pay respect to the first two Zeldas as they both never featured the master sword since and both games concnetrate on a singe piece of the triforce (gaining all 8 pieces of the triforce of wisdom in Zelda 1, and putting crystals into statues in order to unlock the triforce of courage).

But its ALBW that really retcons more than necessary and makes the timeline even more redundant. if ALBW didn't exist, the timeline would look fine. But even so, i guess what only needs to be explained is how Ganon was revived in the first Zelda.

thats why i dislike it.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
I would have to agree with you that the Child Timeline is my favorite. This is because it is most similar to the Origin/Pre-split Timeline.

As for the Adult Timeline I have no problem with the first "reset button" that being the Great Flood, which leads to the loss of the Original Hyrule and the founding of New Hyrule (which should have got a name without the word "Hyrule" in it). This introduction to a new land for the sires to be set in is nice because it allows for Nintendo to do more experimentation. Besides, with two other Timelines that basically still have the same Hyrule we are familiar with it shouldn't mater that Hyrule was destroyed in one out of three Timelines.
Although who can deny that the Spirit Tracks were a one game gimmick, made for the sole purpose of having another transportation system and that it makes it difficult for newer games in that Timeline to have a story that fits into it's world. But I think it is too early to give this Timeline much hate. We need to have one or two more games on this Timeline before we decide that it's terrible.

In fact, because the official time line is so new it may be too early to criticize it too much because it and the smaller sections of it need time to develop and become consistent with lore.

Favorite timeline: Probably the Fallen Hero timeline. Besides ALBW's retconning, it still made some sense.

Least favorite timeline: The Adult timeline. Only good game from this is WW while the others are just filled with annoying touchscreen gimmicks. ST felt a bit better at places with them, but overall, the timeline felt like wasted potential to me.

I would have to agree with you that the Child Timeline is my favorite. This is because it is most similar to the Origin/Pre-split Timeline.

As for the Adult Timeline I have no problem with the first "reset button" that being the Great Flood, which leads to the loss of the Original Hyrule and the founding of New Hyrule (which should have got a name without the word "Hyrule" in it). This introduction to a new land for the sires to be set in is nice because it allows for Nintendo to do more experimentation. Besides, with two other Timelines that basically still have the same Hyrule we are familiar with it shouldn't mater that Hyrule was destroyed in one out of three Timelines.
Although who can deny that the Spirit Tracks were a one game gimmick, made for the sole purpose of having another transportation system and that it makes it difficult for newer games in that Timeline to have a story that fits into it's world. But I think it is too early to give this Timeline much hate. We need to have one or two more games on this Timeline before we decide that it's terrible.

In fact, because the official time line is so new it may be too early to criticize it too much because it and the smaller sections of it need time to develop and become consistent with lore.

I think there's plenty of room to hate it.....pressing the reset button was a bad thing to do....why not build on top of what the previous Zelda's have built? And the fact the game's story and lore was a one-time deal and designed for a game mechanic, trying something completely new would need to have yet another reset button. Basically the Adult timeline is the excuse to expirement

Salem

SICK
I would say the downfall timeline is the only one I care about, it was THE timeline since the first Zelda game. :P

Tbh, it it wasn't for the "Link died" issue I would be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom