• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which is Better: Harry Potter or Twilight?

Which is better?

• Harry Potter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twilight

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Harry Potter.

Mainly because Twilight had several disturbing themes (for example romanticizing stalking and controlling), which - if I remember correctly - none were addressed as bad thing, instead they were "normal" and "acceptable". I don't like it when authors don't address their own problematic content in books. Even worse, with all disturbing themes the characters were empty and clearly just there to make it look like the book had a plot. (Also the writing was boring, not worth reading at all.)

Linkyme

Call me Coco :3
Harry Potter. Oh, ANYTHING but Twilight! Harry Potter actually makes sense to me...verses that mindless drivel (not to mention crooning over) about vampires and werewolves...i mean come on. Edward and Taylor really aren't that hot.

I honestly don't really like either of them, but Twilight just crossed the line of crappiness when I learned that the Vampires sparkle and the Werewolves are just bigger versions of normal Wolves.

H

Howling Wind

Harry Potter all the way. I just read through the first four books. Twilight does not interest me and neither does the movies. I like Kristen Stewart in other things but Twilight is just bad. It is just so twisted for reasons BiPox mentioned. One of my friends older brothers says vampires used to be viewed as cool before Twilight came out and made them into sissies.

P

prongsbabe317

I've read both Harry Potter and Twilight. Harry Potter is definitely the better of the two. I think Twilight is really only popular with teenage girls and middle age women, to be honest. Those are the only people that I ever truly see being die hard fans of the series. I guess they both have their good parts, but honestly, Twilight doesn't even compare to Harry Potter. Harry Potter has a plot. If you've read the Harry Potter books you will see how much thought J.K. Rowling put into it! Pottermore is a great example of how much thought she put into the whole series (Has anyone read the background information on Prof. McGonagall?! Amazing!! I don't see Stephenie Meyer putting that much thought into a minor character). You don't see that in Twilight. At all. When I went back and read the Twilight books it seemed like every book was describing Edward and how perfect he is (except New Moon when all that is described is how depressed Bella is and the insane/suicidal things she does to "hear" Edward's voice again). Anyway, Harry Potter > Twilight.

Is that even a question? Harry Potter! J. K. Rowling did an amazing job of putting together the world of Harry Potter. Hard to believe that she just had a thought one day, and made a story that made her millions of dollars. That women is one heck of a story teller! :)

Harry Potter because:

Vampires. Don't. Sparkle.

Also:
tumblr_l1kkurPlDd1qaxkl3o1_500.jpg

Attachments

• tumblr_l1kkurPlDd1qaxkl3o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_l1kkurPlDd1qaxkl3o1_500.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Hm... let's see... one is really well written, each time you re-read any of the books you keep finding clues that you missed the first time around that had you picked up on them you would have been able to figure out the mysteries (only no one did, because each clue was cleverly hidden among a lot of other purposely distracting details), the huge ensemble of characters are complex, interesting and three-dimensional, the storylines are nothing short of fantastic...

...the other did a really good job at ruining people in general's perception on vampires. And in addition to insult the entire vampire genre and its fans, the books (the little I read before throwing it out - about 2/3 of the first book) are bland, mediocre at best. And let's not get started about the twisted view on romance this series gives young girls - since when did stalking become romantic?

Starleap

Canadian Girl
Why is there so much hate for Twilight?

I know everyone loves Harry Potter(trust me, it's alright), but what I hate is that because of the movies, the books have become well hated by almost everyone. I am NOT a Twi-hard, but I just hate how much people hate on the books. I know everyone thinks Stephenie Meyer is a chick who just made a story about sparkly vampires and a messed up girl who falls in love with said sparkly vampire. But it has plenty of reading and one of the books actually shows the old fashioned vampire view on humans. But seriously, Harry Potter was good, but why are you even comparing two different genre's of books? I know they're both fantasy and somewhat realistic, but why?

I hate the movies and love the books. I've seen almost every Harry Potter movie and read the first book for a novel study in High School. I may be one of the few Twilight fans that aren't screaming in your ear about how amazing it is(that and I have some self restraint, I hate them screaming Fan-girls too!), and how I don't hate on either. I'm such a fence sitter. XD

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
@Starleap I tried reading the books and I only managed about 2/3 before I was so bored I gave up. I actually bought all four books believing I was gonna get a good read, instead I ended up giving the books away. I'm generally a fan of the vampire genre (I even go to Vampire themed conventions), but I personally feel Twilight is ruining the general population's perception of the genre. Meyer offers no real consequence to becoming a vampire (or what SHE thinks a vampire is) - you don't lose your soul, your body isn't taken over by a demon, you don't get sick or burn up in the sun (you frickin SPARKLE) - why are they hiding from people when that is their only problem? Why don't they just turn all the humans and then everyone can have a sparkle-party on the beach... problem solved, no need to relocate every so and so years, no need to stay in on sunny days...

That's my beef with the "vampire"-aspect of the books. But I also have a problem with how Meyer romantisizes things like stalking...

Starleap

Canadian Girl
I know, I hate how Twilight changed the view on vampires(Alucard would probably be outraged). Anyway, I have to agree, I know it's a pretty struggling book to read, the only part I have any interest is when Bella is a vampire and the part in Jacob's perspective before that in Breaking Dawn. I will never read New Moon again because Bella was such a whining little baby about losing Edward(I literally wanted to throw up, that is one book I WILL NEVER READ AGAIN). So I get why everyone hates on it and why it's so unpopular to true vampire loving fans.

Sparkling, non-human blood sucking vampires that live in the woods= Faries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom