• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Which Did Faron Woods Better?

Favorite Faron Woods?

• TP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Simple, does SS or TP hold your favorite version of Faron Woods and why?

TP: a parrot selling lantern oil, dark caves, thick fog, wind powered moving bridges, and a guy who thinks his sister is scarier than wolves.

SS: vines you can swing on, bees, a lake, a flood, and adorable little creatures called kikwis.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Skyward Sword. I'm not gonna say that Twilight Princess's Faron Woods was bad, because it had its merits (the beautiful spring, the cool fog, the lantern guy, the cave, etc.), but it was rather bland overall. There wasn't really all that much going on in it, and it was lacking in substance -- it was kinda empty and pretty much a straight shot the entire way.

SS's was basically one large gameplay space with various obstacles all about, hearkening back to the kind of overworld design found in A Link to the Past. Of course, it wasn't super open, as SS is a linear game, but it had a respectable amount of wiggle room, and there were varying levels of density in the terrain, like a real forest. The Kikwis are also the single most adorable thing in any Zelda game. X3

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Hmm tough to say because, as far as Zelda locations go, they're rather different.

In Twilight Princess you have this more open, kind of empty, forest that is quite linear in design (leading up to the temple) while in Skyward Sword It's more compact and content filled. The navigation is quite different too, TP's version is split up into several parts, but it's all rather a straightforward line to your destination. In SS It's more so set out like a puzzle (well the first section anyway); it's quite confusing in design and it may look rather simple to navigate, but areas are disconnected so to say. I guess it depends what you prefer though, if you like a more open simple design then it's Twilight Princess, if you like the puzzle approach then it's Skyward Sword.

Personally I prefer Faron Woods from TP, but not because of its design. Truth be told, I love the setting; it's very spiritual like, creepy, mysterious, gloomy, picturesque all in one. SS just seemed to be bright and colourful, it emphasised that feeling of a living breathing forest better than TP, but to me it just didn't create that same lost-in-a-forest-like atmosphere. Also I loved the Faron theme in Twilight Princess - one of my favourite themes in the game.

I hafta go with TP's woods, its just something I could see myself taking a nature walk through, SS woods were pretty too but the leaves were shaped kinda weird on the trees and I dunno, there was something kinda blah and fakey about them.

D

Deleted member 14134

Gave my vote to twilight princess. Not because of content but because of overall look and atmosphere. SS way more open and colorful but TP felt more like an ancient mysterious forest.

Throughout the game, I did like Skyward Sword's artstyle better for being more colorful and making the world seem more vibrant. Twilight Princess kind of made everything (including Faron Woods) look the same color depending on what area you were in.

Trying to not let each game's artstyle sway my way of thinking, I do enjoy Twilight Princess' Faron Woods much more...it feels more ancient and derivative of nature. True of most areas in Twilight Princess, but I wish Twilight Princess' Faron Woods had just a slightly more diverse color array.

To clarify my earlier post, I did end up voting SS because there was more to do and it had a much bigger impact on the plot (a third of the game took place there!), but I did like the atmosphere in TP's version better. Not that I didn't enjoy SS's either, I enjoyed them both a lot.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
This is a tough one.

From an atmosphere and design perspective, Skyward Sword wins. TP's just feels so empty, barren, brown and consisting of outdated texture. When you go realism, it ages horribly. Art ages better. Also, Skyward Sword's forest is more interconnected and there's less loading screens.

Then again, I remember a lot of collecting meaningless s##t from SS's Faron Woods than I do of TP's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom