• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

When did you give up?

Imagine the scene; you're playing a video game and you're not really enjoying it, in fact the game has one more strike until you give up completely and move on to something different...

Think of some games and tell us the moments that you got fed up or too bored or too annoyed to continue.

Which moments in which games made you give up on them?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
About an hour in to FSA after hating every minute of the awful game I decided enough was enough. There was not one specific thing but it was just too much time spent in a state of misery.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Most of the time I’ll be having a good time with a game, I’ll put it down for the night, think about playing it again, and think to myself “maybe later” only to never play it again. It happened to me with Skyrim, Animal Crossing, and Super Mario RPG.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D the World 6 boss is impossible for me to beat and I have tried several times. I suck at platformers so this game is just to hard at this point in general.

Chaosdrako

Open creative idealistic writer
Remake of Link's Awakening. Well... almost gave up. I debated for a while. I barely played the original.
In the Game Boy iteration I could not figure out how to get to the first dungeon and gave up on that one. The new one, I managed all the way to finishing the Eagle's Tower, and realized I was screwed. I didn't go to the Dream Shrine until this point.
In other words, I did not have the Ocarina and Marin vanished from the game. Mambo wasn't in his cave.... Glitch? And only had half the trading game completed. In-game hints are literally broken. What's with Ulrira?
I had an unpleasant experience. I did eventually come back and plow through the game with internet help.

I hate and love the game.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
This has happened to me many times with many games, and I can't even begin to list them all.

Spider-man (2003): I got to a portion of the game where I had to battle The Scorpion down in a sewer. There were mutiple points in the game prior to this where I got stuck for long periods of time. It took me a week just to finish the intro phase of the game because they throw you into the game unclear about what your first objective even is. Then there was a section where I had to battle The Shocker, and that seemed impossible for awhile, but I did beat him eventually. I was still interested in the game because Spiderman was probably one of my favorite Marvel characters, but the game itself was on thin ice for me. I got to that section with The Scorpion and I could not beat him. At that point I had enough. I gave up on the game after numerous attempts to beat The Scorpion.

The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age - As a child The Lord of the Rings films captivated me. I remember my Uncle came home one day and bought it because he thought I would like it. I wanted to like it, but I ended up hating every single thing about it. Seriously, one day I should blog about how much I hated this game. The story sucked, at the time I didn't have much patience for turned-based RPGs, and that's what the combat in this game was. As I got further my dislike grew, until finally I got to a part in the game where Idrail, the elf in the game's party, gets seperated from the group and has to fight some of the Nazgul by herself. The battle was like impossible for me to beat, and I tried to beat it seriously a few times. I couldn't do it.

I was fed up with the whole game by then, it had gotten mind-numbingly repetitive, plus the story was so stupid, so that was the point where I decided to just give up. I put a lot of time into that game though, I was kind of sad it had to end with me hating everything about the game, because before I started playing it, I was so sure I'd like it.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I gave up before I started...

actually one game that comes to mind is star wars rebel strike on gamecube, I didn't find the gameplay to be all that good and the music was just blegh [not counting the music from the movies of course], so I just thought I'd go through the main missions and be done w/ it....until I saw that I had to unlock them by excelling in the side missions through medals
no, this game barley held my attention as is, and they really expect me to play these missions until I get a good ranking to unlock the main missions? I'm not having it, so I quit it

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
Aftering playing Undertale for the third time to try the genocide ending, I got stuck at Undyne, and got tired of trying to avoid getting hit, so I gave up. I guess the game got what it wanted :P

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
Despite the fact I'm usually quite good at finishing games once I've started them, there's been a few over the years where I've just dropped it. Some notables include Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Legend of Zelda: Tri-Force Heroes, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Assassin's Creed: Rogue and Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The reasoning varies, but it ends up being due to one of three things. Either (a) I couldn't get into the game and so I quit early on, (b) I get busy with other things midway through the game, so I drop it and don't end up returning to it or (c) I try to be a completionist, but it makes things slower and more frustrating and eventually I just give up and move onto another game.

It's funny, because now I'm not giving up on any game I've played through recently, even if I don't like it all that much, because at the end of the day I want to be able to say I beat it, even if I never end up playing it ever again. Like I've actually now beat 3 of the 8 games I listed above, and I'm currently going through one of them (Paper Mario: Sticker Star) right now.

F-Zero GX. Maybe I'm just bad at it but I never made it past the 3rd mission or something really early on in the game.
For casual play the races can be fun but for the story mode: Way too hard

F-Zero GX. Maybe I'm just bad at it but I never made it past the 3rd mission or something really early on in the game.
For casual play the races can be fun but for the story mode: Way too hard

Oh my god, F-Zero GX is evil.

They AI cheats. They have more boost than you do and the rubber banding is horrible.

I can't get through it either. But I suck at it to begin with.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I was little, like 8-9, and I started TP all was going well, but when I got to the first temple, and got through some of it, but then I just got confused, and finally a stopped playing it. That's when I didn't know you could use walkthroughs.

Now, the temple's way easier. I love the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom