• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's Your Opinion on Upgrades?

T

TheCynic

I really liked the upgrade system in the new skyward sword. I felt like it breathed a bit of life into an much simplified and overused system of obtaining better gear (mini-games and/or sidequests). Do I feel like it was perfect? Heck no, there were a lot of things that could of been improved upon like being able to jump to the last upgrade in a line instead of having to start over completely when your equipment breaks. I certainly hope to see more of this upgrade system in future games.

A system of upgrades for your items was a refreshing idea to the series that I greatly enjoyed. My only complaint with it was that the upgrades were never required for any of the items. The whole thing was completley optional which made it lose its value. I can understand how some of the items could/should be optional, like the increased power of your bow, but other items should have been a requirement to progress through the game. Perhaps you need to upgrade your Clawshot so it can travel farther distances that would be required for puzzles later in the game? That was just a random idea, but you get the picture.

SuperMetroid

Eating Your Brains
In theory it's a brilliant idea. I see SS' system merely a crash test. Nintendo just wanted to see what people thought.

I hope to see the next Zelda reinvent this upgrade system. The foundations have been laid, and there's an endless list of possibilities to come. Branching upgrades is just one aspect that can be included. Two aspects I didn't particularly like was how most of the upgrades simply expanded on an item's stats, and barely any of them had any aesthetic changes. I'm sure we can expect plenty to come in the future though. I'm confident.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
it was a good idea but it was all for it's own sake. it would have been better if there were parts or side things where you NEEDED the upgrade to accomplish. best upgrade would probably be the bow as you can hit further away targets and it's fun to snipe

I thought the upgrades were fantanstic! I was always so excited when I visited a different region and racked up those items. One thing that did confuse me, was how the dusk relics were supposedly found in a place only the chosen hero could go, and yet Fawlin (i think that's his name) gave me a ton of them when I did the arrow game. Anyways, I thought that was a nice touch. Made you feel like you really earned the items.

The upgrade system was great, but it could faster. I like the Tough Beetle and the Sacred Bow the most.

Tadpole

Don Gero's Apprentice
I thought it was a nice step in the right direction. They have the idea, now they just need to expand with more to upgrade like your clothing perhaps. Even bottles. Bottle, Big Bottle Biggest Bottle. Something like that. I think they should have included amount of ammo in the upgrades instead of having to buy more bags or quivers.

I liked upgrading the items. It was a challenge to get the less common items but it was a cool idea.

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
I think one of the best ideas that was brought into skyward sword was the upgrade system. It was a way to add another layer of depth and personalization into the game, and it wasn't mandatory. I think it is also pretty realistic. Who would go on that kind of quest with the same gear the entire way along? I think that some of the other items could have had wear-and-tear meters as well. what if you were using the bow and you got attacked and it hit the bow/ was blocked by the bow? the bow would either break or be damaged in some way, maybe the string was broken or something. I think that nintendo should expand the item usability bar to all of the items, and the upgrading should stay and be refined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom