• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's Your Opinion on the Technological Advances on Zelda Series?

When spirit tracks came out they showed us trains, which is the replace for our beloved Epona, I think Zelda games are losing their medieval touch, which I think is what gave Zelda series it's uniqueness. In this new Zelda games there are rumors that Link will be able to fly, though it is unkkown if it is by a spell, a machine like a ballon or a plane or a beast like a pegasus or a dragon, so what would you prefer? The technological advances will get to this Zelda timeline too? or will it remain as a celtic-medieval classic? what's your opinion?

My opinion is that the games should remain as a medieval series, because that's what made it unique, and I also think it would be cool to see Link on a dragon or a pegasus. :P

P.D. sorry for my bad English, it is not my native language

I believe that technological advances are fine, so long as they're well done. Remember the Bombchu Bowling Alley in OoT? It had tons of neon lights. And there were all sorts of technologies throughout Termina, especially the Great Bay Temple. In LA, there were phones. I don't remember if OoX really had any, but the GBC might not have been a great media for a game like MM or ST to happen onto (technology-wise). Then in WW, there are working ceiling fans, light bulbs, pretty advanced cannons (I'd say circa 17th or 18th century), cameras, and the Islet of Steel. In MC, there was a working phonograph, I remember there being neon lights or something similar (don't hold me to that one), there's a working street organ, and a fairly modern bakery. Supposedly there were several things in TP that were sci-fi(ish), but I was to absorbed by the fact that I was playing OoT to notice. In PH there were Steam Ships, torpedoes, and all that stuff the Cobble did, without magic. In ST... Well, we know what there was in ST, if not, GO PLAY IT!!!

Also, please realize that the Hookshot, which is in LttP, LA, OoT, sort of in OoA, WW, TP, and possibly in PH (I can't remember if it was a Grappling Hook or Hookshot), is actually fairly advanced technology, even by today's standards. I say that so long as Nintendo does it well, all technological advances in Zelda should be loved by us. Besides, there's always the possibility of a sci-fi Zelda, in the future (Don't knock it 'til you try it).

A

Almo SSBB

well i dont mind minor tech in zelda games, cause their has always been some sort of tech in every game. but they have to make sure it still has that "a long time ago"/"medevil" feeling to the game, cause the past is the only time where fairies, magic, fanatasy, mosters, etc, fit in and make sence.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
All of the Tech in Zelda is fine with me so far excluding the canons in TP. It just seemed really illogical to me at how it worked and how Link is able to survive such a thing. Then again, if you go looking for logic in a game filled with faires, dragons, and giant evil pigs, you're bound to find some disappointment. The time gaps in the tech are obvious though. The "mine" theme of the fire temple, the scuba gear of Link's blue tunic and the spinner are clearly way ahead of the times of Zelda. But that's not a bad thing for me. In fact, I'd say it made TP an even better experience for me.

well when i meant technological advances i was talking about transportation and weapons, but really advanced,while it is true that the hookshotis technologically advanced I meant big changes, I mean what are we going to see next in zelda? link on a car named epona? ganondorf using a machine gun? when spirit tracks came out the industrial revlution came to my mind, and then I saw A Link to the future fake trailer, and it really got me thinking, and yeah I also didn't liked the cannon thing.

P.D. again sorry for my bad english it is not my native language

Ya, tech advancements are fine. And nintendo wont overdo it with machineguns and jet fighters. but technology can be really cool! I still want to see an electrical dungeon, it'll look midevil/ancient but with lightning magic abilities. its kind of like a fusion of fantasy and technology, and it opens a lot of new ideas.

Remember guys we should be complaining at PH because trains came before steam boats. Sorry if someone else said it above just quickly written it

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I think that while there have been some major advances they have never really stepped out of their bounds... of course the telephone in LA was a little uncalled for ahah (i made a pun) but ya, other than that most have the technology in the Zelda series has been appropriate in it's own way. Trains was a big step but I don't think it was a bad idea, the fact that they were spirit tracks made it all a bit more plausible. now that we have seen these things I think I'd be ok with seeing a few other technological advancements. As long as they are appropriate for the times... basically as long as their tech doesn't exceed what they should be capable of. But now that they have made trains the world in which Hyrule exists seems to be able to acomplish quite a bit. Maybe in Zelda Wii we will see railways to mines and quarries with many trains and a bustling work force. Or docks at a coastal town loaded with ships and cargo. Maybe we will see a rise in the use of wagons like in TP, this could lead to an industial boom, in which the land becomes very rich. I dunno but their seems to be a lot of potential for Hyrule and other lands now that they are finally utilizing their resources.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Usually I'm pretty neutral about it. Sometimes I like it (I absolutely loved the train in ST), sometimes I don't like it much (the only case where this happened was in PH with the SS Linebeck; I disliked how slow it was to sail across bland sea with so few monsters and virtually nothing to do).

But, I don't think it's that bad. There has always been touches of modern/futuristic technology in Zelda and it's only in recent games (TP and PH for instance) that it's become more blatantly obvious. Our beloved Hookshot, introduced in ALttP, is actually futuristic even by our standards. In LA and ALttP, there were conveyor belts which came to be during the 20th century. In MM there were neon signs and the Gerudo seemed to possess something similar to motorboats, both of which came to be in the 20th century. In TP there was an entire city held aloft by propellers alone for at least a hundred years. By no means could we do this today by any sort of means (the closest thing we can get to it is luxury blimps which always land eventually). I could go on and on about many other examples of modern/futuristic technology but you catch my drift.

The point I'm trying to make is that Zelda hasn't been making more technological advancements, so much as the technology has become more blatantly obvious. And really I don't see why fans are getting ticked off by stuff that was already there and they didn't complain about. If they made Link a gunslinger instead of a swordsman and completely did away with all the magic and swords and stuff, then I could see why fans would complain. But we all know that it's not going to happen.

Also, I think the main issue isn't the technology but rather, the increasing scarcity of magic, but that's another topic for another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom