• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's your favorite zelda song(s)?

Ballad of the Wind Fish was the first one to really stick with me. That game blew me away at the time! I’ve got a soft spot for the Palace Theme from Adventure of Link too... I’ve heard that one more than a couple of times!

Both the Dark World and Dark Mountain overworld themes from A Link to the Past are probably my all time favorites, with a lot of nostalgia and memories to go with them. But some other favorites include Gerudo Valley and Inside Ganon's Castle from Ocarina of Time, Legendary Hero and Molgera from The Wind Waker, and Hyrule Castle from Breath of the Wild.

Honorable mentions to Psychostorm from Hyrule Warriors and Rescue Operation from Age of Calamity, if you wanna consider those Zelda songs too.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Ooh, this is my wheelhouse because I am a musician.

Probably the Spirit Temple theme from Ocarina of Time in terms of what interests me as a musician and speaks to me.

Now, let me tell you this deserves more love than it gets.

First of all, it utilizes what I call "the dark scales of metal."

The start of the theme starts off in straight G Phrygian.

But the rest of the melody floats in between three tonalities, that nobody ever correctly covers.

Because of the key itself (G minor), and the tonality (G Phrygian) there's going to be lots of accidentals, but if you play straight G Phrygian, it doesn't sound right.

That's because it floats to G Phrygian Dominant too, which has a major third, instead of a minor third, like G Phrygian.

And for a bit it'll stray into G Double Harmonic, sometimes known as the Byzantine scale, or I've heard it called Super Turkish, which sounds like a coffee, because I hear that clear leading tone if only briefly.

Overall it creates a dark and exotic feel, which is appropriate for the setting.

So that means in one composition, we're mixing in three different, yet somewhat related tonalities, giving it that flair that it needed.

I could actually analyze Zelda music all day, because you will find some interesting musical quirks, such as Ganondorf's Boss Battle theme in OoT being in the time signature of 15/16, Midna's Lament from Twilight Princess being in 6/8, or creative use of rhythm in the Forest Temple's theme in OoT sounding like bone rattles, or Majora's Theme containing a lot of tritones.

But in terms of my favorite theme overall?

The Dark World theme hands down. This is majestic and powerful.

Ooh, this is my wheelhouse because I am a musician.

Probably the Spirit Temple theme from Ocarina of Time in terms of what interests me as a musician and speaks to me.

Now, let me tell you this deserves more love than it gets.

First of all, it utilizes what I call "the dark scales of metal."

The start of the theme starts off in straight G Phrygian.

But the rest of the melody floats in between three tonalities, that nobody ever correctly covers.

Because of the key itself (G minor), and the tonality (G Phrygian) there's going to be lots of accidentals, but if you play straight G Phrygian, it doesn't sound right.

That's because it floats to G Phrygian Dominant too, which has a major third, instead of a minor third, like G Phrygian.

And for a bit it'll stray into G Double Harmonic, sometimes known as the Byzantine scale, or I've heard it called Super Turkish, which sounds like a coffee, because I hear that clear leading tone if only briefly.

Overall it creates a dark and exotic feel, which is appropriate for the setting.

So that means in one composition, we're mixing in three different, yet somewhat related tonalities, giving it that flair that it needed.

I could actually analyze Zelda music all day, because you will find some interesting musical quirks, such as Ganondorf's Boss Battle theme in OoT being in the time signature of 15/16, Midna's Lament from Twilight Princess being in 6/8, or creative use of rhythm in the Forest Temple's theme in OoT sounding like bone rattles. Or Majora's Theme containing a lot of tritones.

But in terms of my favorite theme overall?

The Dark World theme hands down. This is majestic and powerful.

I love to see appreciation for ALTTP! Honestly, love all of the music in the game, especially the castle theme. And when it's paired with the sound of falling rain??? *chef's kiss* :finn:

I'm actually taking a college music appreciation course, and I'm happy to say I can understand some of those terms! I'm glad there are people so passionate about music, it's really interesting to hear their perspective!

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I love to see appreciation for ALTTP! Honestly, love all of the music in the game, especially the castle theme. And when it's paired with the sound of falling rain??? *chef's kiss* :finn:

I'm actually taking a college music appreciation course, and I'm happy to say I can understand some of those terms! I'm glad there are people so passionate about music, it's really interesting to hear their perspective!
You'll start looking at music in a different way just by taking an appreciation course, if you were just a casual listener before.

It gets you thinking differently other than, "I like it, it sounds nice."

Well yeah, but the fun is why it sounds so good. :)

You'll start looking at music in a different way just by taking an appreciation course, if you were just a casual listener before.

It gets you thinking differently other than, "I like it, it sounds nice."

Well yeah, but the fun is why it sounds so good. :)

Yeah, and you also get introduced to new sounds outside of your listening area and it's oddly...nice?

MasterSooga987

D&D Lover
Lost woods-oot, Outset Island-ww, Deku palace -mm, Temple of time-oot, Gerudo valley-oot, Termina field-mm, song of storms-oot, OOT boss music, Hyrule field-alttp,

these were all songs that I grew up with and anytime I hear them I usually will start crying lol don't judge me but It's because I used to play all of these as a kid and that was when I had an innocence and it just reminds me of before plus the songs are just so good they are a part of me and will always be I feel like link Has grown up with me as time has gone on

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom