• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's Your Favorite Movie?

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Title says it all, what movie out of all the vast genres and styles ends up being your number 1 favorite?

I would have to say Gladiator. First things first, I think Joaquin Phoenix delivered in that movie the most outstanding acting performance I have ever seen. It blows my mind how good he is in that movie. And to me, the plot more is behind him and his life than Maximus'. I think that movie had an unbelievable story about redemption and revenge, but having to wait for revenge. And about morals and gosh AUGH it's just so good. Plus Russell Crowe's just a BA :cool:

But what about you guys? What's you favorite movie?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
ZD Champion
Around this time a year ago, my appreciation for the fantasy genre increased beyond what it already was (which was fairly high). I watched a lot of Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc. My favourite movie cycled for a while between then and a few months ago, when I watched Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest for the fourth time. I really payed attention to the music, acting, CGI, etc. at that time, and it caused the movie to jump up to my number 1 spot. I love just about everything about it.

Prior to this newfound interest in the fantasy genre, I was all over superhero movies. The Avengers was my favourite movie from its release until around March 2013.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Lion King is def up there. Easily one of the best movies I've ever seen, and the one that has stuck with me the most since my childhood.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Serenity (huge Firefly fan), Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit, Harry Potter (though I prefer the books), various Ghibli movies... I really have a lot of favourites...

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Television has been kind to me in the most recent days. Both Dodgeball and The Lion King have been on, and I watched them through even though I have them on DVD because I never get sick of 'em. They never cease to be entertaining.

Dimooshky

The Mauve Avenger
I can't choose a particular film, just sets, usually by director. So any Miyazaki, Hitchcock or Tarantino.

If I MUST choose, then it would be Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Spellbound or Pulp Fiction.

Oh and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, because DAT SOUNDTRACK MA GAWD.

キラ

Yo!
Probably a tie between 3 movies of 3 different genres - Pulp Fiction, My Neighbor Totoro (となりのトトロ), and Napoleon Dynamite.

Well, my favorite movies change a lot, but these are currently what they are.

Pulp Fiction because it has everything - comedy, drama, and action. It also told a story in unchronological order and it still made sense and it was fun to see different parts of the movie from different perspectives, and also to see where the pieces would fit. It also has some of the best quotes ever - both serious (the Ezikiel 25:17 quote for sure) and funny - "Does he look like a *****?" and "Say 'what' again! Say 'what' again! I dare ya! I double dare ya, motha****a! Say 'what' one more goddamn time!" for example. I just loved Samuel L Jackson's preformance so much.

My Neighbor Totoro (となりのトトロ)is just magical to me. It's two little girls enjoying their youth and then major tragedy happens. Cool thing is is that the conflict in the film didn't even involve a protagonist. The movie's world was also very fun and creative (a freakin' cat bus!). The music is amazing. I just love it.

Napoleon Dynamite has the kind of humor that not everyone likes, but I love it. Also, it involves innocent (but awkward) love between Napoleon and Debra. It reminds me of my school days and childhood. It reminds me of the innocent love I had. I know it's kind of a weird movie, but this is why I like it.

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
do you know how hard it is for me to answer this question
my number one movie hands down is Inception, closely followed by the Usual Suspects, Gravity, Casablanca, Rear Window, Pacific Rim, Inglorious Basterds, and Cloud Atlas. I also love series like LOTR, Nolan's Batman, and the Marvel series.
Zoolander is up there somewhere too because it's such a stupid movie you can't help but love it ok

Sheik

:the:
Ummm... Inception, Harry Potter, Elf, Napoleon Dynamite, maybe Dodgeball? I'm not much of a movie person...

Last edited:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
As far as what movies are in a series, my favorite movies have always been the LOTR movies (and the Hobbit movies by extension), though the Nolan Batman and Harry Potter series are very close contenders.

As for singular movies, it's a toss-up between Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Cabin in the Woods, Inglorious Basterds, I Am Legend, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Finding Nemo, The Lion King, Cast Away, My Fair Lady... I like a lot of movies.

...but if I were forced to give only one answer, it would have to be LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring. That movie made such an indelible mark on me and forever changed how I think of movies and media in general, as well as delivering an overpowering message to its viewers.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
There are many masterpieces of film that I admire so much, but without a doubt my favorite movie(s) by far has to be Peter Jackson's Middle-earth saga. The Lord of the Rings trilogy and this new Hobbit trilogy are really just one very, very long movie and it tells what is quite possibly the greatest heroic adventure story of all time. It has taken the literary masterpiece that is J.R.R. Tolkien's lengendarium and translated it to film expertly. These movies are the standard I use to judge all other movies. The plots, the scenes, the emotional connections, the characters, the cast, the acting, the special effects, the music, the direction, the production, etc is perfect. When it comes to the fantasy/myth genre, there really is no story that exceeds this one in the epic mode.

Sir Quaffler said:
...but if I were forced to give only one answer, it would have to be LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring. That movie made such an indelible mark on me and forever changed how I think of movies and media in general, as well as delivering an overpowering message to its viewers.

I completely agree. I first saw FOTR when I was about 12 years old and it completely changed my life. It got me hooked on the fantasy genre (I now have a personal library of fantasy and science fiction that is approaching 600 novels) and created in me a lust for this kind of grand storytelling and worldbuilding. It introduced me to linguistics, conlanging, conworlding, fantasy gaming like D&D and MMOs, and just writing in general. The complex themes, tones, and messages pervasive throughout the story got me interested in philosophy as well which is now a major part of my life. In short, it blew my 12 year old self's mind. I remember not being able to sleep the night I first watched FOTR. I could not sleep from being so blown away and excited by what I had just seen. That's what good art does.

43ForceGems said:
I would have to say Gladiator.

Another amazing movie. Gladiator has to be in my top 20. There have been several attempts at making epic Roman Empire movies and most of them have been quite successful, but none of them really reach the level of Gladiator when it comes to theme and execution.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom