• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's Your Fandom Pet Peeve?

Fig

The Altruist
I'm not sure how much this applies, since I'm sure most people who do it aren't aware they are doing such, but people who pronounce "Smash Bros." or "Mario Bros." as you spell it. My lord, I cringe every time without fail.

Bros. is short for Brothers; it's shorthand. The period should make it entirely obvious. Pronouncing it as "Bros" is like reading "Dr." as "Der" instead of "Doctor". It's not a word! Don't say it that way! You will never hear any Nintendo representative say "Bros" in a formal context.

I'm fine with the casual abbreviation of brother as "bro" to describe a mate, and in that case, two mates would be "your bros", but not ever when talking about Super Smash Bros. I need to smack the person upside the head when they do that.

You don't know how frustrated I get whenever someone pronounces Bros. as bros. Even in the intro openings of the original Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Melee, the announcer shouts out "SUPER SMASH BROTHERS". Bros. is simply an abbreviation for brothers. I really like your example of using the title Dr. as if we are going by that logic, then we should be able to pronounce it as Der and not Doctor. Anyone who has contributed to the development of Super Smash Bros. has never pronounced Bros. the way it is spelled. If Warner Bros. is always said as "Warner Brothers", why can't the same apply to Super Smash Bros.? After all, they are both titles and not just a term to use for common day speech.

Another Smash pet peeve that I have is that no matter where you go, there will always be those few individuals that want anime characters to be part of the roster for Smash Bros. I always ponder why they even think that in the first place. Sure I will take a joke whenever it is mentioned for the first few times, but when someone generally wants and believes that Goku, Naruto, or Ichigo will make it to a Smash Bros. game, that's when I cross the line. For starters, these characters are not even remotely close to Nintendo and did not originate from video games to begin with. The only connection that I can see between anime characters and Super Smash Bros. is that they have the ability to look like a fighter for Smash Bros., but then again you can practically say that for every other character in the anime or video game world. The saddest part is that no matter what you say to these people, there will always be more people like them.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Another Smash pet peeve that I have is that no matter where you go, there will always be those few individuals that want anime characters to be part of the roster for Smash Bros. I always ponder why they even think that in the first place. Sure I will take a joke whenever it is mentioned for the first few times, but when someone generally wants and believes that Goku, Naruto, or Ichigo will make it to a Smash Bros. game, that's when I cross the line. For starters, these characters are not even remotely close to Nintendo and did not originate from video games to begin with. The only connection that I can see between anime characters and Super Smash Bros. is that they have the ability to look like a fighter for Smash Bros., but then again you can practically say that for every other character in the anime or video game world. The saddest part is that no matter what you say to these people, there will always be more people like them.

I think we could have a whole topic solely dedicated to outrageous character requests. Shrek may not have originated from an anime or manga, but he is ridiculous all the same.

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
SHIPPING.

Shippers in general will turn me away from getting involved with several fandoms online. The whole notion of their "die for our ship" attitude is despicable, and may Neptune have mercy on your soul if you don't with agree with them or like something else.

I'm not bothered with some of wilder ideas that have come out of fanfiction (MPreg and the like), but nothing gets under my skin faster than a High School AU. Every fandom has one, and if they don't, someone will write one eventually. There's nothing more upsetting than seeing your favourite characters stripped down to a stereotypical cliché and stuffed into a standard high school setting.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
SHIPPING.

Shippers in general will turn me away from getting involved with several fandoms online. The whole notion of their "die for our ship" attitude is despicable, and may Neptune have mercy on your soul if you don't with agree with them or like something else.

I'm not bothered with some of wilder ideas that have come out of fanfiction (MPreg and the like), but nothing gets under my skin faster than a High School AU. Every fandom has one, and if they don't, someone will write one eventually. There's nothing more upsetting than seeing your favourite characters stripped down to a stereotypical cliché and stuffed into a standard high school setting.

Well, in all fairness, not all shippers act like that, but unfortunately it's a very vocal part (how large I cannot determine) of the community that do, and I completely understand the feelings you have on it.

The high school AU is also one of my really big pet peeves, because it really is exactly how you say it. Characters stripped of their years of life experience and character traits - basically everything that makes them interesting in the first place - only to become a shell that only carries their name and their physical apperance. I'm just thankful that these fics are so easily identifiable and you don't even need to click on them to find that out...

Aku

High School AU Fics - I never found cliche teenage drama to be interesting, and if I come across a story that features this, I hit the 'backspace' button promptly.

No Slash Warning in the Story Description- I'm really not into slash, so I pretty much tend to avoid stories that have it. As such I absolutely hate it when it's suddenly dropped into a story just to push a political viewpoint (and the author never mentions it in the story description either!) I had that happen once, and boy did it irk me.

Certain OCs in TMNT fiction- These often are teenaged/young adult female mutants who are fox, turtle, feline or lizard. 99% of the time they are teenage or young adult girls with tragic pasts that get turned into these, and very very often they are love interests. Very rarely is there anything undesirable about being a mutant, and very commonly being a mutant is seen as improvement over being human.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
No Slash Warning in the Story Description- I'm really not into slash, so I pretty much tend to avoid stories that have it. As such I absolutely hate it when it's suddenly dropped into a story just to push a political viewpoint (and the author never mentions it in the story description either!) I had that happen once, and boy did it irk me.
This is embarrassing, but I actually didn't know what slash meant. Know Your Meme to the rescue.

Yeah, I can see how that would be annoying. I prefer hetero pairings anyway...because 90% of the time, yoai and yuri is bad smut with two characters who would never be together in canon. That's the only reason. I have gay friends. I would never tell them that they shouldn't be able to marry their soul mates. But that doesnt mean I want to read guy on guy or girl on girl sexy times...

Is there a difference between slash and yoai? Out of curiosity...

Aku

This is embarrassing, but I actually didn't know what slash meant. Know Your Meme to the rescue.
No problem :) I mainly know of it because I go onto fanfiction sites, and that is mainly where the term is used.
Yeah, I can see how that would be annoying. I prefer hetero pairings anyway...because 90% of the time, yoai and yuri is bad smut with two characters who would never be together in canon. That's the only reason. I have gay friends. I would never tell them that they shouldn't be able to marry their soul mates. But that doesnt mean I want to read guy on guy or girl on girl sexy times...
I think that is a large reason why with many people, as it is what you've said that most of it is just an excuse to write bad smut. Plus any female pairings are often an exercise in sickly sweet cloying lovey dovey scenes, which to me can be just as bad as smut.

You mention slash with characters that actively (and canonically) hate each other? I've seen many instances of LinkXGanondorf pairings mentioned in the descriptions and if you are ever into Transformers, many MegatronXStarscream. A lot of these don't even make sense, but yet somehow these folks think they are seeing 'twu luv' in that death glare or sneer of hate. It makes me feel a lot of times the author is just writing this stuff while they get their rocks off (they've nearly been that descriptive) even though many of these (often maleXmale) shippers are female.
Is there a difference between slash and yoai? Out of curiosity...
I don't know. I'm assuming that they both mean the same thing, but that yaoi is just the Japanese name for it.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Yeah I think a lot of the yoai writers are girls who want to drool over it. It makes no sense to me. I'm a straight girl, and despite having gay friends and not being a homophobe, I'm not turned on by guy on guy. Granted, every one has their own tastes, but still.

Not sure what you mean by get their rocks off. Never heard that term before. I think it means drool over it and do...something...else, right?

Aku

Yeah I think a lot of the yoai writers are girls who want to drool over it. It makes no sense to me. I'm a straight girl, and despite having gay friends and not being a homophobe, I'm not turned on by guy on guy. Granted, every one has their own tastes, but still.
Disliking slash doesn't mean that a person doesn't like gay people, it means that they simply don't like it. If a gay person ever felt mad that someone didn't like slash, then it means that gay person has major self esteem issues and is projecting, not because that other person somehow has a vendetta against gay people. :)

And you're right, it doesn't make sense for girls to write this stuff, since most would be expecting it to be the domain of gay men.

Not sure what you mean by get their rocks off. Never heard that term before. I think it means drool over it and do...something...else, right?
Main emphasis on 'other stuff.' ;) 'Getting their rocks off' is an old term that means that the person is using it to get aroused by it. Sometimes it also means that they are using it to M but generally it often means the first. I just used that term since it is more 'kid friendly' in case many kids lurk on this site and that I didn't know if M was a banned word.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I'm gonna call the SnK fandom out in particular. Marco was in the anime for 5 FREAKING MINUTES, and yet people freak out over him and Jean when Ymir and Krista are basically canon lesbians. I hate jeanmarco so freaking much, none of you will understand. I cannot fathom why a friendship that lasted for so little time garners an entire bloody ship when there was no chemistry between the characters.

I really hate jeanmarco, and most of their shippers are annoying pieces of garbage.

ok have a nice day

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
Why do people complain when the Game Grumps play games badly? It's free entertainment, they upload three episodes a day, and there are hundreds of let's players out there. YOU DON'T NEED TO WATCH IT!

I haven't seen this thread for a while.

Another thing I don't like is when fans act all entitled and think that they own a character/fandom and anything that deviates from their version of canon justifies death threats and nasty insults.

I also don't get people who act like a character is their for real husband/wife and will viciously lash out at anyone for portraying them badly/killing them off/having a crush on them too. it's one thing to fantasize about a fictional character, but some people take it a little too far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom