• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spirit Tracks What's Wrong with Link Being in a Train?

zants follower

underling of the dark god
So spirit tracks takes place 100 years after WW. In WW, no one remembers when the world was saved from a giant pig. For some legend to die out like that it would have to take at (the very very) least 400 years, so it takes place at least 500 years after OoT. That places OoT in around the plausible 1300's or (much) earlier as trains were invented around the 1800's. That was around The beginning of the Renaissance in Italy. The Zelda series, if anywhere, takes place in France considering the royal architecture and, well, names. In the opening cinema to ST, it shows almost native american depictions. The people even had darker skin. It is also assumed that the hylians found a new hyrule across the water, That seems a bit like europeans coming to america, right? The opening also said that the spirits lay down the spirit tracks as locks for Maladus. They also gave the gift of the spirit train. This means that the new hylians had something to work with for their new technology. They didn't just make it up, it was given to them already. If that's not enough, they also had steam boats in PH and no one seamed to care. There was even a rocket launcher in TP that blew up some bridge in hyrule castle. Don't harp on ST if you can't see such things in the other games.If you care so much about your little timelines, you should understand that the games time will change. I really loved spirit tracks. 9.95/10. too bad that doesn't work in magazines, so 10/10 :P

Yes, I just took this from one of my comments in a news article a while ago, but I feel It deserves a thread. Sorry about any mistakes I made or anything that makes it read more like a comment than a thread starter.

I find Spirit Tracks to be a great game. It's just the Train Travel I really dislike, really creative, but it takes too long. When I would want to travel to something that is right next to where I need to go, I need to draw a circle around it so I can just get to that certain point.
I'll agree, Spirit Track's happen's to be caught up in technology, ex: Boat, and now a Train.
I found the boat to be very more useful because of the routes. "Can I go straight? Yes I can!"
In Spirit Tracks, the train track's just threw me off. "Can I there? Wait, there's no tracks, gotta find one that will."

In my opinion, it's a good game, but it could of done a lot better.

zants follower

underling of the dark god
Like tracks laying down in front of you as you went? that would be fine... but then they couldn't have done the beautiful pre-rendered scenes in the background of the train rides. The sea of the ocean king was barren while new hyrule looked great.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I loved Spirit Tracks as well. I played it a lot when I was on summer vacation and so now I have a bunch of memories attached. I think the overworld song is incredible. Spirit Tracks is on my top 5 Zelda games in number 4. The art was beautiful too and I loved having Zelda around to help. Way to go, Princess! I did a drawing of Zelda from Spirit Tracks and underneath I put the quote "I'll stay here. It's what princesses do. From what I understand, it's kind of a family tradition." Lol. As soon as I figure out how to film my DS i'm so doing a review of that game!

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
It's a great game. I like Link in his conductor clothes. But anyways, it's an great game and the train traveling bothers me a little. Bcuz of the enemy killing, stopping, catching rabbits, and taking passengers to another place. But it's still an awsome game

Beeker

Wild Card
That's an interesting thought about Spirit Tracks and its backstory.
I liked Spirit Tracks as well, it was a fun game. Some things could've been done better with the train, but of course no game can be extremely perfect. I myself liked how the trains worked. Sure, it may have taken longer to go to a certain place, but there were things to do along the way.

As for your question, people probably didn't like the idea of Link on a train because it seemed a little radical at first for a game like Zelda. It all goes to the debate of magic or technology in Zelda.

Blazestarre

*Insert title here*
Having advance technology like a train can be a little weird for Zelda, a fantasy that's supposed to have a medieval setting. I thought they did a good job fitting the train in the Zelda universe and the story was interesting. However, actually using the train to travel was frustrating. Personally, I have never liked anything other than walking as the main mode of transportation in Zelda. Walking allows more freedom to explore the overworld. Sailing in WW was tedious and the sequels made traveling even more restricted and annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom