• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What would it take for BotW 2 to become your new favorite/least favorite Zelda game?

Gorozoron

wild ride
I liked the weapon system because you had more weapons to look at besides baby sword master sword and a bit more powerful sword so they should keep that it was getting a bit formulaic before botw honestly don't know what I want for botw2

REAL DUNGEONS

i could forgive the climbing bull**** if they would just give us 5 hyrule castle style dungeons with themes instead of the short divine beasts. if they could make weapons more durable and give us a combat system with stances that would be really cool too.
and more towns, like maybe small settlements instead of big villages since hyrule is recovering. it would make the world feel more alive. i get that BOTW was supposed to be a fallen hyrule but that’s not gonna the case i’m assuming in BOTW2

I want a bit more traditional gameplay, but still a new story, something that doesn't involve Zelda being kidnapped/stuck/absent and Link just doing the same stuff for the whole game so he can fight the hog at the end of it. I want a playable Zelda, I don't know about you guys, but I have so many ideas for a game where you have these two as a duo. It would be a real bummer if the whole Zelda/Link coop dynamic was just a tease and Zelda just gets kidnapped or stuck somewhere again. Now, it doesn't necessarily have to be a co op thing, because I doubt that the switch could process two characters running around a giant open world, but I'd love if you could switch between them, and do puzzles with Zelda using the sheikah slate, and Link being a bit more physical with for example bow and arrow puzzles, or the hookshot or some other new tool. Maybe some areas are only accessible by one of the two characters, or there is an area where they have to work together. So many opportunities and so many ideas, I doubt that the new game will be my LEAST favorite, but I hope they do something new with it as they did with breath of the wild, which will make it at least one of my favorite Zelda experiences, if done right.

Aewon

Emperor of the Flesh-Eating Replicators
Favourite: Themed dungeons, but not the same old forest/fire/water themes. I want more creative themes, like an ice dungeon that you turn into a water dungeon with sunlight. Or maybe a night/day dungeon, or a gravity-themed dungeon. TP had a dungeon like that, but that was primarily a fire dungeon.

Least favourite: The same world as BotW. No dungeons. Link speaks.

kikwi_lopsa

give me the cucco nuggets
i want it to have amazing and challenging dungeons and an amazing plot with noice bosses if it does not have any of those than i would be my least favorite and i also want it to feel like an actual zelda game but i do want to keep the jumping that was a change i liked :3

TL The Legend

Likes OoT way more than he should.
Despite OoT being my favorite game, BotW 2 wouldn't have to be too much like it to be my new favorite. It would have to almost always have a fairly clear indication of what to do next and an engaging story. I would definitely want a Ganon (or whatever the antagonist ends up being) that is actually active in the story, not just "shows up at the end and cackles" like TP Ganon. It should have weapon upgrades, but the higher tier you get, the more difficult it gets to achieve those upgrades. Pretty much kinda like OoT, but with better graphics, less emphasis on equipment switching, and weapon tiers, not just the three swords and two other weapons OoT has. I also want some good dungeons and bosses. Bosses are more important to me than dungeons, not being able to break the fight horribly like being able to easily destroy Morpha in seconds if you know what you're doing would be great. I also think that Ganon being more of a friend than an enemy than a friend (he's had a while to reflect while he's been sitting in agony, after all) would be cool, but seeing how evil Ganon can be (he literally froze Zora's Domain in OoT, kidnapped a bunch of young girls in WW, etc), I kinda doubt it.

Last edited:
Hmm, for BotW2 to become my least favourite Zelda game Aonuma would have to **** up massively.

Even at its worst BotW didn't approach the trash level of SS, PH, ST, FS, FSA or TFA.

I guess adding a really half baked multiplayer aspect to it would kill a lot of enjoyment for me, but I don't see it happening.

For it to become my favourite... I really don't know. Wind Waker is my favourite Zelda game because of its story and brave new world, I wasn't blown away by BotW's overworld and it looks like BotW2 is reusing it, so we're already not off to a great start unless they do something genius.

I'd like it if they went hard in the story but in the post AoC world I'm now terrified of what they would do with a more detailed story since Aonuma clearly has no issue in undermining the emotional resonance and reasons for BotW even existing in the first place.

I don't think I'll hate BotW2 but I don't think I'll love it either, the most I'm hoping for it is to enjoy it more than BotW. Which I enjoyed but not as much as most titles.

For Breath of the Wild 2 to be the best Zelda entry in my opinion a few things have to return. I need DarkNuts and IronKnuckles to come back as an overwold boss just like Lynels in BOTW. Its hard for a zelda game to be bad in my opinion but a better story structure with just as much freedom would be nice for the sequel as well. Someone out there is able to find the right way to structure it and im hoping they have the person in office helping develope the game as we speak! (:

For it to be really good I'd say it should attempt to connect it with the last game, in a good way. Don't do another 100-year coma, but don't start the story off awkwardly either. Also tone down on the f:skitty:ing koroks.

Favorite: Actually take advantage of all of the potential underground worldbuilding that BotW has set before it and use it to create both a really unique Zelda experience and also a more traditional one at the same time. The lack of underworld in BotW gives them practically a clean slate for what they could put beneath Hyrule, and they could make it as weird and existential as their imagination permits. Traditional dungeons are a possibility, but they'll be underground... I like the weight of dungeons like the Spirit Temple and the Earth Temple, and they could really go crazy with ancient underground ruins. Then the underground setting could have really create the feeling of exploring an alien world. Out-Dark-World the Dark World, if you will.

Least favorite: somehow use the badly executed time-travel in Age of Calamity to tweak the outcomes of events between the two titles and imply the events of Age of Calamity to be canon, regardless of its timeline. Age of Calamity wasn't above touching timelines separate from its alternate future's linear trajectory, so they very easily could twist that horrible concept to ruin the canon events of Breath of the Wild. If I see that egg guardian at all, I'll stop playing.

I don't necessarily expect this, but I would love to see MM-style side quests in an open world game. More emotion, more interesting characters, more satisfying rewards for completion. It would allow for preservation of the open world style, but add in some more interesting narrative elements missing from BOTW.

I would also like to see more nuance, symbolism, and mystique. This is also maybe also related to aspects of MM that I liked. They didn't overexplain plot content. They left it mysterious enough to allow for reflections and theorizing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom