• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Wind Waker did

Wind Waker is one of the definitive examples of a fanbase splitting game, not just for Zelda but video games in general.

Where do you fall on Wind Waker?

Did it put you off Zelda wholly or completely cripple your love for Zelda and create a style of game you'd rather not play, thus limiting your Zelda options?

Or do you love it and feel at home with the style?

QcFQOVmY_o.png

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I don't like the art style (or the tingle fetch quest) but apart from that it is a good game. Music and storytelling were on point. Gameplay was smoother than the previous entry and I enjoyed the parry move.

I'd rather they hadn't gone down that path with the art style and I think it damaged Zelda in the long run. They still could have done a similar story but with a TP art style and sales would have surpassed OOT I am sure. Still I did enjoy the game on the whole apart from the fetch quest.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
The art style matched the game, and it was a good game. High tier on my rankings list, but as said, it hurt the series.

Many more people switched off of Zelda after WW (and what WW turned into: PH and ST) and it really ****ed things up.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
I never finished it when it came out and every once in a while I tell myself that I'll try playing the HD remake I have but I never do.

I enjoyed it at the time and I don't think there's any problem with trying new styles so long as you don't intend to alienate the old fanbase completely. Between Windwaker and Twilight Princess, I imagine most fans of the N64 games were probably at least somewhat satisfied.

I think WW is a good example of short-term loss, long-term gain. While it initially turned some people off, it had staying power due to its ageless appearance. Like Majora's Mask, that allowed it to enjoy a resurgence in popularity as time allowed people to see the game's merits. It also gave us the Koroks and the Rito, and a great example of how to do Zelda as a good character.... for most of the game anyway.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
i played it when i was like 7 so i was pretty drawn to the cartoony artstyle, it fell nicely in line to other games i played at the time,though i will say when twilight princess came out, i preferred that sort of look for zelda over wind waker's style

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Loved it then love it now. Enjoyed the game thoroughly and despite being "cartoony" 100% WW takes a hell of a lot more time and effort than the other games.

HylianEVAN

Conquer yourself
WW was the very first Zelda game I was played and was released the same year I wanna born so this game means a lot to me as a Zelda fan

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I'd give my take on this again for the umpteenth time but Spirit would just hit me up with another guilt tripping .gif image of some crying anime girl.

I don't know how much more of that I can take.

But suffice to say, yeah, Wind Waker was a noticeable departure that took the Zelda franchise is a significantly different direction. A direction that, by all indications, ninty seems intent on sticking to.

And I do not approve.

Wind Waker didn't kill it for me. A one-two of Suckward and BotW did Zelda in for me. Maybe nintendo makes a Zelda game I can appreciate again someday, maybe not. But I won't hold my breath.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
WW unfortunately is in the lower half of my favorites list mostly for its dungeon design. Being the 3rd 3D Zelda game, it started the trend of dumbing down the dungeon's design to handicap the complications that comes with the 3rd dimension, with the side-effect of allowing you to blow through each room without thinking about the layout or consulting the map. Don't get me wrong, there were a few rooms that stumped me, but the problem was isolated to that room; its so much more satisfying when you piece the dungeon together like a puzzle box. I think the Earth Temple was the only one to do this, but it wasn't the most memorable dungeon either. Future installments would ween good dungeons in gradually, especially Skyward Sword.

Pros:
  1. I've never had trouble with the art style. I played the Wii U remake, which made sailing so peaceful.
  2. The story is amazing. It has the most epic ending of any Zelda, and I like how this Link was not born the hero and had to work to earn the Master Sword and the Triforce of Courage.
  3. The dungeons were visually themed well and had their little moments.
  4. I loved sailing and discovering each island. There's plenty to do.

Cons:
  1. Combat was simplified too much, I think.
  2. Tetra acted a bit out of character when she changed into princess Zelda.
  3. That's pretty much it, it's just that puzzlebox dungeon design is very important to me in a Zelda game.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Loved Wind Waker, it's the only Zelda game I remember dreaming about before it came out. I was worried about the art style at first and yeah, when I was in middle school, it did seen as little childish. The music was stunning, some of the best tracks in any video game. The art style is timeless. The controls were so spot on as to never even be questioned. The story made me love Zelda in so many more ways than I thought I could.

But the number one best thing about Wind Waker is that it led to FSAs art style, which is the most visually appealing of any of the 2D games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom