• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What Type of Art Style Would You Like To See In Zelda U?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
A TP/OoT 3D mix. No idea how many times I've said it, but that just seems like the next logical step after SS's impressionist style.

Yeah this is my thought on the matter. They need a stunning detailed artstyle to show off the Wii U's power.

You can show off power with much more than detailed textures. The idea that only those can truly display the power of a console is shallow and limited.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yeah this is my thought on the matter. They need a stunning detailed artstyle to show off the Wii U's power.

Not that there is much to show off...but this is my thought as well. I'd love to see a detailed art style - again preferably the Wii U Tech Demo variant - that's filled to the brim with amazing textures, anti-aliasing, heck maybe even huge draw distances! :)

Mido

Version 1
Since we have Wind Waker HD coming in this fall, I am looking forward to a more realistic art style like TP. On the contrary, I'm not exactly in the mood for a ''darker'' art style either. A more neutral look, like OOT's, would take the cake in my opinion.

Yuki Cross

Attack on Titan~!!!
I think I would prefer the TP style - since I really enjoyed playing with the darker art style. On the demo it looks great, so I think they should stick with it!

TheFlakeyOne

More Flakes in Every Bite
I was thinking about this the other day, and I thought, wouldn't it be awesome if they took a cue from Okami and went entirely past the cel shaded look and right into an actual moving painting? Come one, Zelda with an Okami look would be amazing!

Big Octo

=^)
I'd have to root for a more realistic style. Hopefully it would be executed much better than how it was presented in TP, where may man problem was characters with cartoonish and over-the-top designs had the realistic shading and texturing applied, making them look freakish and/or awkward. I could see a Zelda title doing well with a realistic graphic style and character models that more resembled human beings.

The cel-shaded cartoon style of Wind Waker will return in the remake, so ill have my fix with that. As for the style of Skyward Sword, well, I didn't much care for that.

I'm going to echo most people here and voice my support for the Tech Demo graphics. As much as I love Nintendo's cartoony impressionistic art styles, I think it's time we had something more realistic and detailed. Something that can stand up against the other games on the market without losing Zelda's whimsical charm. While TP's graphical style was kind of poorly implemented, in my opinion, I definitely think Nintendo can pull it off on an HD system.

P

pauldavidmiller

I vote for TP with brighter colors -- which is pretty much what the Tech Demo is. I loved WW and SS, but I also like the variation in styles.

Here's an idea-- Perhaps Nintendo could adapt different styles for the different timelines in Hyrule Historia, they way film directors will use different lighting and filters to indicate different places, moods, or themes. That way we actually have a narrative reason for the different looks and feels of the Zelda universe.

Final thought -- will we ever see the unification of the timeline? That would be an ultimate Zelda story, featuring a time- and universe-hopping Link fighting in three separate Times/Dimensions to bring them back together. As a plus, the game would feature three different art styles depending on which universe we're in!

T

TwiliTetra

Fire Emblem's graphics worked for the 3DS, but I can't imagine it working on the Wii U. I do want to see a more colorful Twilight Princess type thing though. I love The Wind Waker, but I hope Nintendo branches away from the cel-shaded/cartoony style for Zelda Wii U.

ILU

i luv u
Fire Emblem's graphics worked for the 3DS, but I can't imagine it working on the Wii U.

Why not? (And by graphics, I'm assuming you meant art style) FE: Awakening's cutscenes were beautiful, and similar styles have been put on console games in the past, such as the Tales of -- series or Shin Megami Tensei stuff. IMO, the style would be fresh for the series, and it'd probably appeal to a wide audience now that anime is so mainstream. Plus, it'd allow for the in-game style to reflect the official artwork. Skyward Sword's artwork, both in-game and official art, is stunning. But, Link's model doesn't look quite as cool as his official art design. A style similar to what FE: Awakening has, only in Yusuke Nakano's style, would work just fine.

However, while that style would be nice, I'd like to see them work with what they've already started. I'm really loving that Twilight Princess mod that uses Skyward Sword's textures and colors. With something like that, you could have all those lovely, intricate and ornate details that Twilight Princess had EVERYWHERE, but it wouldn't look like it's been through the washer too many times. Lovely and vibrant and wooooooow!

OR maybe something between The Wind Waker HD's new style in terms of colors/texures mixed something similar to the Wii U tech demo's design styles. That'd be gorgeous.....

....But if it were my choice, I'd demand Ocarina of Time 3D's visual style. Perfect for the series, is vibrant and artistic for the fans who appreciate TWW and SS's styles while sticking to a less "toon" design that seems to have the fanbase divided. I think it's the closest to pleasing everyone.

Last edited:

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
Tech demo graphics + Zelda WW HD Graphics + a little SS-ish touch + Basing it on Original LoZ and AoL artstyle design =

Zelda_WiiU_idea_anotherZ1sequel_zps7506a131.jpg~original

yeah, I know I didn't do that well photoshoping the image to be classic style but it was the best I could do for now, I just had to bring this up. I did a thread about the possibility that Zelda Wii U could be another Zelda 1 sequel. I might either make another thread or just add to the one that is already up, more in depth detail about my theories and speculation about why and how come I think Zelda Wii U will most likely turn out to be another sequel to Zelda 1.

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
I think that the Wii U tech demo wins. It also depends on the timeline of choice (at least, in my opinion). If Wind Waker HD is in the Adult Timeline and the ALttP games is in the Decline Timeline... I see that Zelda U will be in the Child Timeline. Games in this timeline were generally darker, so I can see them expanding on what they had going at E3. I guess we'll find out this year, with any luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom