• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What Type of Art Style Would You Like To See In Zelda U?

I've been a bit fond of the mix on SS style, but I would prefer TP's dark style much like the one from the Wii U demo. what are your guys thoughts?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I want nothing but the Wii U Tech Demo artstyle; I do not feel any other style could do ZeldaU justice.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Personally, I'd be good with anything that looks good in HD. I don't want SS's style again, not for a while. TP's style is most fitting I think

I prefer the Wii U demo.
2pze4w4.jpg

I also like this painting that someone did.
vpjh45.jpg

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
If it were to be a WW & PH sequel or a ST sequel, it should be a dark toned version of WW HD's style. If a TP Sequel, it should use the E3 2011 tech demo style but with some more improved touches. If an OoT & MM Sequel, it should it use a much darker and more realistic toned OoT/MM high resolution HD style much OoT 3D's style but much darker than even how MM would look in that style and with some elements of realism. If a SS sequel, it should use SS's style again but it would be in full HD and it have darker tones in it so it would be a darker game. If a new Link and storyarc, it should have more of it's own style but have mixes from previous games in there (kinda like SS did but this time it should be in a more original way) depending on the type of game, story, and when it would take place on the timeline.

Y'know how people said that SS' art style was like a mix of WW and TP? I want this to be like a mix of SS and TP.
Here's my scale of graphics and how I want Zelda U to be:

WW ---------SS----x---TP

I want it to be very much like Borderlands 2, except more colorful (and Borderlands 2 is already pretty dang colorful), or Fire Emblem Awakening, if you can imagine the styles of those games.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I want what was shown in the Tech Demo. I will take nothing less than the graphic style we were given for OoT 3DS

Deeds

no text
To give the new HD console justice, I think TP's art style (Tech Demo Style) would be perfect. You would just be wasting possibilities with SS' or tWW's style.

My preference is general realism. I'm not asking for Halo 4 or L.A. Noire, but I don't want another artistic interpretation just yet, either. I loved The Wind Waker's graphics and I loved Skyward Sword's graphics, but I've seen enough "interpretations" for awhile. The last game to show what Hyrule really looks like underneath all the special effects (not counting OoT 3D) was Twilight Princess, and the dull color scheme didn't do it nearly enough justice. Now's the chance to use the Wii U's hardware to fully realize the true Hyrule for the first time in Zelda's history.

I'm also leery of falling back on the "use the tech demo graphics" point, since the tech demo naturally has its own limitations. For one, in spite of the large amount of detail, not everything (particularly Link's character model) is up to a modern, professional standard, and secondly, we run the risk of dulled colors once again. I think the argument would be better phrased as "use the tech demo's graphics as a starting point."

I'm fairly hopeful we'll see this "true Hyrule" in Zelda Wii U, since we just saw Skyward Sword and Zelda's getting cel-shaded HD in the new Wind Waker release. Whatever we're going to see, it's probably not going to be either of those two styles, for which I'm grateful.

I know that the original intention of the author of this thread was to find out, what Zelda fans in this forum would like to see in the next installment of this franchise. But I start with my guess on what's probably going to happen: Everything we know until now is that the developers of the next Zelda game rethink the fundamental elements of the franchise (again) while further change the series into something new (like Skyward Sword tried but failed to a degree). I am sure, that this game is going to be the prettiest yet with a lot of detail and nice light effects etc. But I also doubt we'll get an HD update of Twilight Princess's, Skyward Sword's or Wind Waker's graphics (or a mashup of those).

Here are my thoughts on that: Even if the developers succeed at their goal to make a revolutionary new Zelda game that still stays true to it's original concept, it would feel clumsy without new looks. A new gameplay experience needs to have a fitting new art style imo. Otherwise it's like "oh this feels like a new game but I feel constantly reminded at this other Zelda game."

If the main focus of the development is to translate the game concept of the original Legend of Zelda game into our modern times, it could be that the visual style takes inspiration from the original Zelda art style. (http://jayrain.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/legend-of-zelda.jpg) This would be quiet interesting to have in beautiful HD graphics with a lot of details. I know that Nintendo would have to get rid of the 80s anime charm and take a more modern direction.

It could be a truly new interpretation of the original concept, in this case the looks should really transport this new idea. I would be happy to see something we haven't seen before. An astonishment. I'm not saying "like..." because everything that follows "like..." isn't truly new. But I think that games like Journey on PS3 or Okami (or even Wind Waker) did a great job at creating something new that ages well and (still) looks great.

Today most of the games have kind of a realistic visual style (Assassins Creed, GTA, Watch Dogs, CoD, ...) or an Final Fantasy kind of style. i always think of Zelda as something special and therefore like it to look different too. Great and high def. but special.

Last edited:
Please, please Nintendo, bring back the TP art style! I hate the SS graphics so much! The colors are pretty, but they seem too out of place and the parts that are supposed to be dark and gloomy don't have the effect other Zelda games were able to pull off. Even WW was gloomier than SS! Needless to say, I wanted to kill the art director from the moment I saw the first SS E3 trailer.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I want nothing but the Wii U Tech Demo artstyle; I do not feel any other style could do ZeldaU justice.

Yeah this is my thought on the matter. They need a stunning detailed artstyle to show off the Wii U's power.

I want lots of vibrant colors, but more of a TP texture style. Tons of world diversity, I want to look at the world and think " that is beautiful"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom