• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Legend of Zelda What the H*ll?

After finishing Skyward Sword and spening countless hours online looking for videos etc on Zelda, I wanted to play the original LoZ 'cause I never played it before.
So I bought some Wii Points and bought it on the Wii Channel.
So now I started the game but I have no, really, no idea where I have to go: they give no story, no clues, no nothing.
Is it just me, or did any one of you, when first playing the game, had any idea where you had to go.

(+ why does every one live in a cave and want me to buy something :dry:)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
That's part of why LoZ is so awesome, because it is nonlinear. I truthfully doubt any one of us really had an idea of where we had to go because they give you next to no clues. But once you figure out how to beat the game, you'll feel almost like a master (next part to being a master is obviously beating AoL).

Yeah, like VanitasXII said; that is part of why it is so great! You have to really explore to find things. You may run into dungeon 3 before you or two and besides a couple that require items to move on, there is really no specific order you have to beat them in. Keep at it, you will love it in the end. Just so you know, dungeon 6 is ridiculous so don't give up on it... I'm just sayin ;)

MW7

Just wander around and you'll have to find a dungeon eventually. The world map is 16X8 squares I think so there are 128 unique places to go. Also from the very start of the game you can reach dungeons 1,2,3,5, and 6. The rest require items (some of which can be found very quickly anyway). Since it's your first playthrough I'd recommend doing the the dungeons in mostly the numbered order because the first couple dungeons are much easier, and the extra heart containers really help. Also try exploring the overworld so you get a basic sense of where everything is, and find rupees so you can buy all the equipment that needs to be bought (only about half of the items in the game are necessary but they all help immensely).

SirBeta

Beta is βetter.
It's the least linear game I've ever played. Just wander around until you find something. That's what I did (before consulting this site's walkthrough anyway).

Well I finally found a dungeon (I guess) after dying about 23 times. And when I finally got to, I think, the last room I got killed (again) and now I can go and find the dungeon again.

Djinn

and Tonic
You could check out a walkthrough on the game if you need. I also helps to consult a map on the game. The original game even came with a paper map that was 2/3 complete. It left the player to draw in the rest themselves. But this is a game where you will need to either get a map, or draw one yourself. Something that you can mark down all the various rocks and bushes that lead to things or contain secrets. I used to always draw a map for Ganon's Dungeon each time I played, it was just too huge not to.

Contrary to popular thought, back in the day they didn't just dump you into the game and let you figure it out completely on your own. The game came with a huge foldout map which showed 2/3 of the land (expecting you to fill in the other third on your own). http://www.zeldalegends.net/gallery...anual_Scans/Other/media/z1mapstrat0-front.jpg

Besides that, within the instruction manual itself they provide a very detailed walkthrough to get to the first dungeon (the Eagle Labyrinth, across the long bridge), and then a detailed map showing how to get to the second dungeon.
(http://gallery.zeldalegends.net/cat.../The_Legend_of_Zelda/media/z1manual-43-44.jpg)

The story itself is also pretty much all in the instruction manual (http://www.zeldadungeon.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=52&page=2).

Last edited:

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
If your having trouble look it up on ZD's Walkthrough and Video Walkthrough, it's very helpful. But I would advise against it. LoZ is all about exploration and just looking for what to do. When you just stare at a map and then walk to where it says, you lose the difficulty, the exploration, the fun of getting lost and having no idea where to go. If you get super frustrated though just use a guide.

If you didn't start with the second quest (name ZELDA) you should be able to figure out the whole game on your own but You will likely miss many things that would otherwise make the dungeons easier. Right after dungeon 1 I bought the candle and found level 8 and got stuck after a few screens. I finished part one the day I got skyward sword and as soon as I finish I will do the second quest. You will get lost and stuck but talk to the old men.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
as much as i like exploring, i do like to have at least SOME hint as to where i need to go, rather than spending ages hoping i stumble across where i need to be. i managed to do the first few dungeons no problem but ended up getting fed up and going to a guide. if the map showed some details it wouldn't be so bad

J

Jebus

Imagine playing the game back in the 80's, there was no internet to jump on and look up walk thrus, all you had was the book that came with it and if your nintendo froze up or glitched for some reason(which happened alot) you were screwed, 5 outta 10 times it would erase all your saved data and you'd have to start back over, IT WAS FREAKIN MADDNING!! It took me months to beat it. So be thankful for walk thrus or just suck it up and play it without one like a real man. I was so proud when i finally got thru the desert and to the graveyard dont deprive yourself of that by cheating!

Yeah I really want to try it without a walhtrough, 'cause being born in the 90's I cannot get over the idea that I won't be able to beat a game from the 80's, it's frustrating :P

and if your nintendo froze up or glitched for some reason(which happened alot) you were screwed, 5 outta 10 times it would erase all your saved data and you'd have to start back over, IT WAS FREAKIN MADDNING!!
Um, what? My NES only gitched out and froze a few times total. Thankfully never on a Zelda game, and thankfully my data was never erased.

Yeah I really want to try it without a walhtrough, 'cause being born in the 90's I cannot get over the idea that I won't be able to beat a game from the 80's, it's frustrating :P
The older games from the eighties are way harder than the games from today so don't be too frustrated if you can't. Zelda 2 is even harder than the first one but in that game you will know where you have to go to ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom