• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What SHOULDN'T Nintendo Do with SS?

Caeda, I would have a more in depth reply, but it is sort of straying from the point of this thread. Let me just say I don't play the handhelds, so I'll have to keep that in mind in the future when I post. And good point on TWW. The bottom line is I just don't like Zelda. Link's awesome but Zelda is, meh.
Another thing I'd like to see the not do in the next Zelda is
-an empty overworld. If there are limits, I prefere a small, condensed and fulll overworld then an expansive, empty one. But it's always best to have an full expansive overworld. That's awesome.

Stallord

Twilit Fossil
Hmm, let's see...

-No "overworld, dungeon, boss, overworld, dungeon, boss, overworld, dungeon, boss" pattern. Nintendo said that they will get out of that pattern for this one, so I think it's safe to say we won't be seeing this.

-No "Hey, look, a new villian.......whoops! Ganon was the main villain." I don't mind it if Ganon does make a comeback, but they shouldn't do what they did for TP. Either Ganon appears first or not at all.

-Stray from the usual "use dungeon item to beat the boss" rule. It could work for maybe a couple of bosses, but please at least add variety in a few of the bosses.

-Don't make us have to time pitches if there is any music items. That was a pain to do in TP.

- No "field" hub that serves as a crossing between multiple areas (i.e. OoT/TP's Hyrule Field, TWW's Great Sea). I'd like all areas, both in the field and in dungeons, to be full of content. Luckily Nintendo seems to be affirming this approach by saying they're going for "density" vs. TP's "size over substance" approach.

- Please don't overuse "motion puzzles" like the eyeball door from the E3 demo. I don't want simple "move the controller a certain way" puzzles to be a substitute for "core challenge" that tests my skills with my sword or other items.

- I realize the SS spirit is probably going to be a "sidekick" of sorts, but please don't have her give us clues for how to solve basic puzzles (and especially not the harder ones). If there's going to be a "help" function, it should be optional.

- Don't drive the gameplay with cutscenes. Or, in other words, don't spoonfeed me what I'm supposed to do next during cutscenes. Focus on player-driven investigation to reveal where I need to go next, through talking to characters and exploring on my own.

- No false main villain with the real main villain using him as a puppet. God, I'm sick of this plot line. You can introduce multiple villains working with or even against each other, but none of this nonsense. I found it especially annoying that in FSA/TP you "found out" about Ganon without actually running into him, and never met him until the end of the game.

- No horseback. First of all, if the gameplay's more dense and Link can "dash," why would he need one? Second of all, there wasn't anything particularly interesting about the horse in any of the games it's been in from a gameplay perspective. Sure, it "makes sense" and is "cool" in an epic adventure but just because it makes sense in the setting doesn't make it a good gameplay idea. Horseback combat in TP was WAY overhyped considering how little it was used.

- Don't give us too many recovery hearts. If you're going to give us a "potions on the move" system, give us a reason to use it. I'm loving the damage ratios offered by SS but the demo giving us 4 potions + a ton of recovery hearts worries me a bit. (At least consider a difficulty option that impacts how often ammo/recovery items spawn or something.)

- No Forest, Fire, Water triumvirate, unless the dungeon design (both visually and in terms of layout and gameplay) is so freaking novel that I'll barely be able to tell.

- Don't waste my time with lame "story events" that give me the tunic, sword, and shield. I don't want to have to do a tutorial just to get my basic equipment.

- I would say get rid of marks on the map that tell you where to go (unless you opt for them), but it looks like they were in the demo, so I'll settle for not having a totally linear path. Or at least, once I get certain items let me proceed to different places; don't just lock different areas so I can't proceed until I clear such and such dungeon.

Last edited:

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
I say Nintendo SHOULND'T just throw Ganondorf as the main villain at the last minute, like they did with TP. Zant was a good villain, like Majora, he was not evil he just desired for destruction and power, so it would kind of make sense that Ganondorf made him act out on his desires, but it still felt like it was forced. Now, it seemed like Nintendo learned their lesson and that's why they had unique elements and villains on the Portable games, so they should just do that, make a new enemy and concept or if they are gonna use Ganondorf they should at least build him up as the main villain like in OoT and WW.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Zant was a good villain, like Majora, he was not evil he just desired for destruction and power
That... sounds a bit awkward :lol::lol::lol:
But I think i know what you mean: Both of them had totally different personalities than Ganondorf, while Zant's main goal was to establish rule over the Twilight Realm and extend its borders, Majora is hard to describe... actually I'd say (s)he's just totally crazy and maybe doesn't even know what (s)he does and Ganondorf wants to be as powerful as possible and shape the world as he wants it to be, regardless of the consequences.
What I don't want to see in SS is the total exclusion of Ganondorf. I don't necessarily want him to be the main villain of the game, I want to know more about his backstory. In OoT there was very little information about that, all we get to know about him can be summed up in a couple sentences: We only get to know that he's a Gerudo king who is officially loyal to the King of Hyrule but Zelda mistrusts him which later on turns out as true because we see him entering the "Sacred Realm", somehow obtaining the Triforce of Power, kidnapping Zelda and establishing his rule over Hyrule. Only by the very end of the game we see him again and he tries to acquire the other triforce parts from Link and Zelda.
But there's still so much we don't know about him. How did he grow up? When, how and why did his desire for power emerge? And so on. So I'd like to see him maybe as a child or teenager in SS and follow his development to what he became when we first saw him in OoT. If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say that he's in his "human-equivalent" 40s when we first see him in OoT. That begs the question, what did he do before that? And even if SS should be set several centuries before OoT this still isn't an obstacle because maybe the (male) Gerudo have a very high life expectancy of several centuries? It's a fantasy game and not everything has to make perfect real-life sense.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nintendo SHOULDN'T make Hyrule Field or whatever is the "large plains" area of the game be like TP. If I have to play another Zelda game that replicates TP, I think I'll cry. Also, they SHOULDN'T make the game easy, especially in regards to puzzles, length, and enemies' damage dealing and taking. I know there are always new people to a series, but TP's gameplay was honestly the easiest (and therefore, "bad" to my standards) of the entire series. I'm not asking for AoL hard, but I don't want TP easy.

"- I would say get rid of marks on the map that tell you where to go (unless you opt for them), but it looks like they were in the demo, so I'll settle for not having a totally linear path. Or at least, once I get certain items let me proceed to different places; don't just lock different areas so I can't proceed until I clear such and such dungeon."

While I agree with not locking areas (visiting a graveyard only to get destroyed by ghosts is fun sometimes!), you have to remember that the maps aren't so clear that they give every geographical pointer. It's standard at least to the 3D games to have a "Link's position" pointer, and a "Exited/Came from here" pointer on the map, and removing those from the map would just seem...weird. Besides, it looks like SS (from the demo) is expanding the map areas, with MUCH more content in individual areas, so the pointers would actually be useful this time around.

~I also have to ask for Nintendo to return bombs to the collectable item drop. Back in OoT/MM/TWW, you could collect bombs from enemy drops/slicing grass. As unrealistic as that is, it really served a purpose. Bombs were literally the only thing you truly needed to buy back repeatedly in TP, and that was quite a mistake. What I'm saying is DON'T make an item being needed to bought en masse repeatedly unless there are multiple shops in multiple areas; running BACK to Kakariko/HCT JUST for bombs is really, REALLY annoying.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
- Ugh, Block Sliding Puzzles drive me insane. None of those thanks.
- If Link gets pants, so should the Postman. He creeps me out in short shorts.
- Remove Epona from the game.
- Peahats. I have a phobia of those Pineapple creeps.
- I would rather Zora than Rito.

I'm tired of gimmick boss fights too. All you need to do is use an item, usually (ok... ALWAYS) it's the one you found inside that same dungeon, expose it's weakness, hit it, and it's done for. Absolutelly NO skill is necessary, or almost none. They also die too quickly. A good boss battle must make you think after it's finished: "Wow, that was crazy! I almost didn't make it."

I sorta agree with the fact that the series should be called The Legend of Link, but there's one little problem: it would be abreviated LoL.

Dude! I have never heard a better reason for not calling this game "Legend of Link"!! AWESOME!! :clap:

While I agree with not locking areas (visiting a graveyard only to get destroyed by ghosts is fun sometimes!), you have to remember that the maps aren't so clear that they give every geographical pointer. It's standard at least to the 3D games to have a "Link's position" pointer, and a "Exited/Came from here" pointer on the map, and removing those from the map would just seem...weird. Besides, it looks like SS (from the demo) is expanding the map areas, with MUCH more content in individual areas, so the pointers would actually be useful this time around.

Well, I'm thinking particularly of the times in TWW/TP where there was an icon added to your map at the spot you needed to travel to. (In TWW, whenever you needed to visit a new island, it was marked on your map; in TP, Midna would mark your next objective.) SS seems to have "X" marks on the map, and although that may have been just to lead people to the boss fights in the demo I doubt they'd implement something like that just for the demo. I agree that we should have a "Link" mark and a "you entered here" mark; just no "go here" mark. Or, at the very least, don't shove the map in our face like TP sometimes did, and give us the option to toggle the marks on or off. It looks like just getting from place to place should be more of a challenge this time around, so perhaps it won't be so bad.

I like your comment about getting killed by ghosts. Sometimes you need to have enemies you can't face yet to clue you in that maybe you should come back later. And heck, if you're good enough they could use areas guarded by tough enemies to encourage nonlinearity!

I also have to ask for Nintendo to return bombs to the collectable item drop. Back in OoT/MM/TWW, you could collect bombs from enemy drops/slicing grass. As unrealistic as that is, it really served a purpose. Bombs were literally the only thing you truly needed to buy back repeatedly in TP, and that was quite a mistake. What I'm saying is DON'T make an item being needed to bought en masse repeatedly unless there are multiple shops in multiple areas; running BACK to Kakariko/HCT JUST for bombs is really, REALLY annoying.

Well, to be fair, they DID put Bombs all over most of the dungeons you needed them in...

Nintendo SHOULDN'T release Skyward Sword on a double-layer disc. Although I have a Wii cleaning disc, I think everyone knows abott Wii's problems with reading DL discs. If the newest Zelda will be on a DL disc, like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Metroid Prime Trilogy, it WILL be less successful.

Errm, no. Dual layered = more stuff so I say do it. If your Wii has problems then send it in for repairs. The Wii has no problems reading dual layered disks, if it does then you have an old Wii that needs to be repaired.

What I dont want to see in SS:
-Tingle
-Ganon/dorf

Pretty much sums it all up

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom