• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Makes a TV Show Hold Up After Many Years?

You know, in the "What if Michael Bay did a Zelda movie" thing, I saw in the comments how Axle the Beast said that in his opinion the Transformers cartoon was bad and people hadn't seen it in a long time to see that... or something similar. If you read this Axle, please take no offense, I just forgot what you said... and you're wrong. I could go on a lengthy tangent for 20 minutes about why Transformers has a fanbase, multiple incarnations, tons of comics and TWO wikis but I'm not going to because I don't want to come off as a violent fanboy. People are free to have a different opinion, just as I am free to disagree, I'm just disagreeing in a way I hope is more mature than "YOUR A JERK I BETTER U MAD BRO?" fashion you'd get from internet trolls. Anyway, my response was why I liked Transformers and it got me thinking about something... why did Bruticus, my favorite Decepticon combiner, get a game accurate colored version at SDCC instead of getting released in stores? Now I gotta spend like $275 to get it off Amazon... that has nothing to do with it but I just wanted to share my disappointment. Anyway, here's something that I often question, what is about TV shows that make them memorable after over a decade despite their goofiness, odd choices and some unfortunate implications. (Looking at Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and their accidental casting choices)

For the record, I LOVE Power Rangers, though my brother fails to see why and often pokes fun at me for it. I'm not going to talk about why I still fondly remember it here but if you want an opinion like mine, check out "History of Power Rangers" on TGWTG.

I remember one such person on DeviantArt defending the Zelda cartoon by picking on Transformers, going "Why do people defend Transformers when it has worse animation"? If you do read this, let me state this: There a lot of reasons why Transformers G1 is so fondly remembered despite its flaws, or because of them, and has been the source of comics, other shows at three movies (Your mileage may vary on them) whereas the Zelda cartoon is the subject of joke and ridicule. Now, this is just me giving my opinion in comparing one of my favorite cartoons to my second least favorite cartoon.

There are reasons why G1 is fondly remembered to this day, much like how the classic ThunderCats, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and GI Joe are despite aging. For the record, I didn't grow up watching it, I barely saw the G2 reruns as a kid, I was born in 1988, one year after the final episode. In 2006, coming out of high school, seeing a trailer for the first film and having sat through the cartoons that came after, I got curious and decided to watch the G1 series. And you know what, I grew to enjoy it, warts and all. There's some stupid moments, but nothing really made by bad writers or animators, most of the time, just mistakes in writing and animation errors. The reason I grew to really enjoy this was because I really liked the robots, their personalities, their alternate modes, even the fights, despite how they've aged, were impressive. The theme song was a delight and the voice work on most of them felt memorable, especially Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime, which is a reason he reprised his role in the movies, the games and in the recent Transformers Prime. Heck, even the animation errors had something amusing about them, like the episode where one Autobot is attacked by the hands on a billboard.

Heck, plenty of G1 fans who grew up with it say of things that stuck with them over the years, certain episodes, origins of characters, legit characterization and development, even animation that was considered impressive for its time. And The Touch... never forget The Touch.

I feel the reason Transformers is well regarded and is airing on TV once again was because of the good it had and it had memorable things despite not everything about it aging that well. So for me, it holds up and is still entertaining.

That to me is what makes a show hold up regardless of whatever aging it received, if it is still entertaining. It doesn't matter alone how good or bad the animation is, that's just one thing, voice acting, writing, characters, action and humor are all important. Despite those aging as well, I feel that Transformers still holds up in those departments.

What is it to you that makes a series hold up despite whatever aging it receives?

Last edited:

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
Something that makes a show hold up for many years in my opinion is all about the views and feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom