• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Makes a Hero?

Something occurred to me recently that I wanted to get some thoughts on. What IS the Hero? More specifically, what makes Link the Hero?

Most people would argue that Link is the Hero because he’s Link and that’s enough. I find that reasoning to be circular. Something has to make him worthy, something has to make him special, something has to make him different. In TP, we see that he isn’t the only one fighting the forces of evil, so what’s so great about Link (other than the fact that he is the central character of the games)?

A few years ago, there was a show on Nickelodeon called Avatar: The Last Airbender. Some of you might remember it. Essentially, every generation or so, someone would be born who could control all of the elements (as opposed to just one). What was interesting was that this didn’t seem to be a clear cut reincarnation (as I understand it). Instead, a person would be born and the spirit of the world/Earth would share their body. This made it possible for the current Avatar, who was young, inexperienced and having trouble finding teachers, to meet and speak with his predecessors. As I understood it, they were different people who also shared a body with the Avatar spirit.

What does this have to do with anything?

Good question.

Remember the theory that Link is dead in Majora’s Mask? Remember how the Hyrule Historia says that Link from TP is a descendant of the hero of time and that the Hero’s Shade is the Hero of Time?

Ok. Someone asked how it’s possible for Link to both die at such a young age and father at least one child. Icky, weird stuff that my western sensitivities don’t want to consider aside, here’s my theory.

Link is almost always referred to as the hero of something or similar enough, the most important word being hero. I think this Hero might be a force or spirit that exists in Hyrule and either lays dormant in its chosen vessel until it’s needed or chooses a vessel when it hits the fan.
Evidence:

How often does Link almost instantly go from being lazy and kind of useless to performing deeds of daring do? I mean seriously, in OoT, he gets awoken by a fairy and almost immediately clears out his first dungeon. In SS, he needs someone to wake him up every morning until something goes bad, then all of a sudden, he’s charging around killing demons and forging a new sword. This kind of instant change isn’t normal behavior, even in tough times. It almost requires that something else has either awoken in him or has taken up residence whether he knows it or not.

A couple games, TP especially, make a big deal about the green outfit. This may not seem big but old habits die hard. SS explains it reasonably well (Knights Academy uniform) but in TP, it seems like Link would have been totally fine without changing his clothes, it was a weird, out of place scene unless there was some reason that the green tunic was really THAT important-like whatever is running the show in Links head wants its old outfit back.

Now, let’s assume the Link is dead theory is true. That would mean TP Link probably isn’t a direct descendent (remember my western sensitivities) of the Hero of Time/Hero’s Shade. It DOES make sense if descendent isn’t the right word. Replace the word with successor and go back to what I said about Avatar and it makes more sense. The HoT (human spirit) teaches the next human to serve as a vessel for the Hero his hidden skills. That allows the Hero Chosen by the gods to fully unlock the power of the Hero and fulfill his quest.

So why Link?

Something always happens, doesn’t it? In SS, it wasn’t until Zelda was taken that Link “woke up.” In TP, it happened after the village was attacked (though he was less lazy before the attack in this one). It’s kind of rare that Link doesn’t have a good reason to go adventuring. It almost seems like, if I’m right, the Hero looks for a vessel that lost something.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think we have to, in order to answer this question, look right back to start and with the first chronological game. Hyrule starts out with the three Goddesses creating Hyrule and leaving behind a golden relic [the Triforce], which was basically a symbol of the balance of power. Of course the Gods did not intend for evil to be present within their grand creation; however there has to be evil in some fashion. So when there is evil there is always good - this is how we interpret these stories of fiction, right? Link is essentially the counteract to evil. Anyway, so the Triforce was left behind and guarded by the Goddess, Hylia (who we can only assume to be a servant of sorts to the real creators). At some point in time Demise (the very incarnation of hatred, basically the physical representation of all things bad) came out from the depths of the surface and sought after the power the Gods left behind. So then enter Skyward Sword's backstory.

I won't repeat the back story as then I'm just entering a pointless narrative that everyone's heard a thousand times before, but I will talk about a misconception first off. A lot of people, including myself at one time, interpreted a certain quote to mean that there was a hero before Link (SS era); however this is indeed not true. Here's the original quote:

Zelda: "You know, they say that the goddess gave the Sailcloth to her chosen hero long ago. Of course, the one you're holding isn't the same one."

I once thought this meant that there was a previous hero and as such this figure would explain Link's origin as Hylia did Zelda's. However I was proved wrong by a theory done by Locke. Basically Zelda because of the time loop that occurs (a paradox in other words). Link destroys Demise with the Triforce but only defeats Demise proper when going back in time. So when Zelda Is taking about a previous hero she is taking about Link going back in time and defeating Demise. Because if you think about it, when Link does indeed defeat Demise in battle, it's roughly 1000 years in the past, so that is what Zelda is referencing - Link is the previous hero.

I guess the best place for me to start is what I said during my opening paragraph, Link is the counteracting balance to overthrow evil, but I guess you're asking why, why him exactly? Why not Groose? Why not Fledge? Well I too sometimes wonder this. It could be down to pure qualities and characteristics of the individual, maybe Link just had the perfect balance of qualities. Remember how the Triforce can only be used by a person with a balanced heart? Well maybe that's why Link was the man for the journey - he possessed those qualities as shown as he could wield the full Triforce. However, it is quite a coincidence; he just happens to be close friends with the reincarnation of the Goddess Hylia, he just happens to be present during the time she's kidnapped thus initiating the quest, and so on.

It's hard to answer, this question I mean. We don't know exactly if SS Link was the first of his kind or if there was maybe a godly deity before him. However, I guess for now we have to call it how we see it. Link from Skyward Sword was the first Link. He just so happened to be close friends, maybe even more, with Zelda. This bond between the two possibly brought out an incredible source of courage within Link (courage is Link's defining quality). This courage is what strengthens Link on his quest, he has this goal, this motivation, to save his close childhood friend of whom he had feelings for. Link would eventually go on a great quest that ultimately lead him to gain the Triforce and as such he was then forever bound to this connection, this balance between good and evil. Link now would forever be reincarnated to counteract evil.

This is just my view of how Link came to be the series' hero. In my eyes it isn't any divine intervention, it isn't anything overly complicated that we have to speculate and theorise upon. It's instead simple, Link came to be the hero naturally through pure courage and that is the greatest birth of a hero in my opinion.

Last edited:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I agree, the original hero, the Hero of the Goddess, was forged into the hero he needed to be. He wasn't anything particularly important beforehand, he wasn't a reincarnation of anyone before him unlike Zelda is, he was just a really close friend to Zelda and seemed out of all the young males in Skyloft at the time to be the most qualified for the task at hand. Also, Hylia knew Link would develop close bonds with her reincarnation and took advantage of that to ensure Link would follow through on his quest to save his dear friend. Very manipulative indeed, and it hurt me as a player that I had been played at with my emotions to do what I did, and you can see the hurt on Link's face as well when it was revealed to him in the Temple of Hylia. But, because he cared for Zelda so much, he still pushed through the trials and tribulations & eventually succeeded. These trials and tribulations are what molded Link's spirit into the Spirit of the Hero that Hylia needed to defeat Demise and all his reincarnations in the timelines.

As to the question of what makes all the other Links in the timeline the Hero, the easy answer for the pre-split, Child, and Downfall timelines is that they simply inherit the same Spirit of the Hero when it is required, Avatar-style. Adult Timeline... that's a bit harder. I guess since the SotH is no longer present in that timeline Hylia just... uses the next-best thing, a regular young lad with qualities most like the Hero of the Goddess. Or even better, just some lad who's brave & stupid enough to charge head-first into danger.

Last edited:
I think the SotH is still there in the Child Timeline. Remember Link goes back in time AFTER beating Ganondorf and earning/justifying his hero cred. It may be a "different" spirit of the hero (different experiences) but still the same basic entity.

Now, coolguy raises and interesting question in his post that I feel needs answering. It's off topic here but it came up so I'll dive in but it may eventually end up going into its own thread.

Here's how I understand the chronological order of events of SS as they are presented in the game:

-Big 3 Goddesses depart.
-War over the Triforce Ensues
-Demise is sealed and becomes the imprisoned
-Hylia sends Skyloft into the heavens
-Zelda and Impa appear having traveled back in time from the future.
-Link does the same and receives the blessing of Hylia/Zelda to awaken the Master Sword
-Ghirahim travels back with a kidnapped Zelda and revives Demise/The Imprisoned
-Link lays a beat down on Demise, ends his awfulness forever, makes everyone milkshakes and rides off on a unicorn (I embellished some of this one).
-A long time passes (thousands of years? at least a thousand?)
-Ghirahim attacks and Zelda is dragged below the clouds.
-Link begins a quest during which, he fights The Imprisoned 3 times even though The Imprisoned had long since been destroyed.

huh?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Here's how I understand the chronological order of events of SS as they are presented in the game:

-Big 3 Goddesses depart.
-Link does the same and receives the blessing of Hylia/Zelda to awaken the Master Sword
-Link lays a beat down on Demise, ends his awfulness forever, makes everyone milkshakes and rides off on a unicorn (I embellished some of this one).
-Link begins a quest during which, he fights The Imprisoned 3 times even though The Imprisoned had long since been destroyed.

huh?
It's a Time Paradox. These are kind of hard to explain, so it's best to take a look at the article and come to your own conclusion. Basically a temporal loop in time.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
Several things to point out:

The "Link is dead" theory in MM is nothing but a fan theory, one I believe has been completely debunked by Nintendo. Link came back from Termina and settled down somewhere in Hyrule doing whatever it is heroes do after beating the big bad... probably running a lawn cutting service :p

Another thing is Link is in no way useless before even most of the games. In SS, Link is in knight's school for crying out loud, he's in combat training every day and had just graduated to the senior class when the game starts. In MC and ALBW, he's a sword smith's apprentice, so it's not hard to believe he's also had some sword fighting to better understand his craft. In ALttP, perhaps his uncle taght him some fighting. In TP it's established that Link knows how to fight with the sword because he shows off for the kids when Colin's father repairs his wooden sword, and he's already a skilled horseman from all the ranch work. In WW I assume Orca likes to teach all the kids how to fight just so the skills don't pass out of memory. In OoT, the Kokiri have training grounds set up to learn how to fight and sell weapons in their shop. I don't know why a tribe of kids who aren't even allowed to leave the forest want to know how to fight, but there you have it. So no, Link isn't utterly helpless at the start of any of the games.

As for what makes a hero, I feel like it's the drive to do what nobody else will, no matter how big or small that is. But Link is a different kind of hero, because it's established that, like the Avatar cycle, He is the spirit of the hero that proved himself long ago to Hylia that he would fight for her and defeat evil whenever is shows its head to cause trouble. Whether that is fully established during SS or even determined by an even earlier incarnation remains to be seen. Not to mention when he defeated Demise he and his descendants were cursed to be hounded by some incarnation of the Demon King for the rest of eternity. So because of that promise he made ONCE, and that ONE time he put evil in his place, he is only born when there is going to be trouble and every time he is evil is going to come after him. Fun times.

So that's why everything seems to happen to Link and he seems to be the only one to fix everything, because that's his job.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think the SotH is still there in the Child Timeline. Remember Link goes back in time AFTER beating Ganondorf and earning/justifying his hero cred. It may be a "different" spirit of the hero (different experiences) but still the same basic entity.

Now, coolguy raises and interesting question in his post that I feel needs answering. It's off topic here but it came up so I'll dive in but it may eventually end up going into its own thread.

-Big 3 Goddesses depart.

huh?

Yeah I never could get why link kills demise in the past, it was a good idea, but it just doesn't make sense because if link killed Demise in the past than the whole game should have never happened. As coolguy said though its like a paradox, a paradox is something that contradicts itself, it defys the laws of physics, yet it could possibly happen. Hard to explain which is why nintendo should try staying away from that unless they can actually explain it which they failed to do with SS.

It could be an ultimate mind f$#!

Think about it, Nintendo spent a lot of time and effort on this game and that was a pretty glaring error...I mean, seriously, my cousin could see that and he can't talk yet and still craps himself on a fairly regular basis.

SO....

What if the Imprisoned in the first 3 fights wasn't Demise? What if something came about and replaced Demise as Demon King without anyone knowing about it and sealed itself at the sealed grounds in place of Demise? Maybe it needs the energy from the Goddess Sword to power itself up or something. Then, Link wishes to end Demise specifically and whatever is impersonating him gets to absorb all that power and rest under the Sky Keep for a while until it can make its way out and wreak havoc on the masses?

Was it really a mistake/paradox or was Nintendo setting up a sequel?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
It could be an ultimate mind f$#!

Think about it, Nintendo spent a lot of time and effort on this game and that was a pretty glaring error...I mean, seriously, my cousin could see that and he can't talk yet and still craps himself on a fairly regular basis.

SO....

What if the Imprisoned in the first 3 fights wasn't Demise? What if something came about and replaced Demise as Demon King without anyone knowing about it and sealed itself at the sealed grounds in place of Demise? Maybe it needs the energy from the Goddess Sword to power itself up or something. Then, Link wishes to end Demise specifically and whatever is impersonating him gets to absorb all that power and rest under the Sky Keep for a while until it can make its way out and wreak havoc on the masses?

Was it really a mistake/paradox or was Nintendo setting up a sequel?

Far fetched, but it would be totally hilarious.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
What makes the hero is literally explained in the games, the hero ALL of them because they each have possessed the triforce of courage at least once in their lifetimes is a virtuous person we see that he alone possess the "right" quantity of Power, Courage and Wisdom without these three things or a lack of any of them would likely have lead to their deaths at some point in their "grand" adventure. They must also be Pure of Heart and posses an unbreakable spirit otherwise the power of the triforce would crush them.

So in short a hero must possess' in the "right" amounts Power, Courage and Wisdom while also being Pure as seen by Link who fights ganondorf/ganon because if he doesn't who can stop the reign of evil and save the realm. He must also have an unbreakable spirit else he wouldn't be a good vessel for a full third of the goddess' power they put into the triforce, and finally it is my belief they require Determination as shown by WW link setting out after his sister as well as Perseverance as shown by the fact they persevere in destroying the current threat to the stability of hyrule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom