• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess What is Zants Mask Supposed to Represent

Pen

The game is on!
I think it is some kind of culture in the Twilight Realm to wear a mask of some sort in battle.
They have there Fused Shadow, the Shadow Beasts wears masks and so does Zant.
However, I don't think Zant's mask represents anything.
:triforce:

Din Akera

Sniper
Thought maybe a picture would assist in this discussion.
100325zantpkft.jpg

Representation is an interesting thing. I don't believe it was meant to be modeled after something physical, like a fish as you suggest, but more to use imagery to provoke subconcious ideas and emotions about the character. This goes for all character design, but the face and head are what we as humans focus on the most and draw the majority of our first conclusions from. With Zant, this happens to be his mask, because until the end of the game, this is all we see.

Focussing on Zant's mask, in physical appearance the mask resembles a snake or lizard head (at least to my eyes). Looking at that from a symbolic perspective, this could related to underlying characterization of Zant as 'the evil one' and cunning like the theological snake. But also, it appears to be something unreal and undefined, bringing in another sense of unease. These two subconcious portions of the design, as well as the grey/silver scale of the metal, are all involved with making him appear as the villain.

Height is another factor we see in the structure, usually representation of prestigue. This is even seen in the first cut scene we see of Zant from the downward angle with two shorter minions beside him. This makes for a very good show of power. The leader of the villain, or in Zant's case an attempt at it. but we only know that from the plot not from the design.

It also creates and air of mystery. We never see Zant's face (until the end of course). We know we are dealing with this villain, but we cannot see him. The game designers even tease the player's mind in Lanayru Spring when the bottom portion of the mask retracts and we can see just Zant's terrifying mouth. Mystery and fear/unease are emotions an audience should feel form a good villain, and the creators used the mask design to do this.

The really interesting part is the similarities of the eye shape to that of the fused shadow and Majora's mask. In some ways, this really shouldn't come as any surprise. We know that Zant is a Twili and we know the fused shadow was part of that race as well. As for Majora, that is a theory for a different thread. But I will touch just the tip, that Majora's mask may have history with the dark tribe/ancient tribe. This has no real significance on the emotional impact or representation of the mask, but it does tie Zant into the tribe in a visual sense.

Overall, the mask is supposed to represent the villainy and create mystery. i don't believe it is meant to represent anything physical, but may hint at the ties to the dark tribe we have heard about with the fused shadow and Majora.

Alex Arbiter

That Random Guy
As it looks it might just be a normal helm, including the culture of the race in the game's nature it would seem so.

Looks to me like a horned chameleon. The eyes bulge like one, its tongue hangs out like one. The eyes also look in different directions, like a chameleon. So, maybe a horned chameleon?

This could symbolize his villainy, because chameleons can see all around itself at once, since its eyes move independently, it cant really be detected, (Color changes to surroundings), and it attacks with lightning speed, (Like the froggy tongue whip thing)

Sounds evil to me.

Djinn

and Tonic
Yes, the Helmet is a Chameleon

chameleon-profile.jpg

The chameleon appears fairly often in mythologies. Sometimes as a trickster, a messenger or as a bad omen. But it is often seen as a powerful creature for it's ability to see in any direction at all times and to change it's color according to it's surroundings. West African myths say that the chameleon creates bad muck if it crosses your path or if one locks eyes with them.

[FONT=Arial, Arial Black, Arial Narrow]In Tunisia, it is also a traditional practice to slaughter a chameleon and bury it in the foundations of new buildings as a protection against the 'evil eye', or bad luck. The chameleon is also believed, in some places, to be a strong foe of snakes,[/FONT]
Because chameleons possess the ability to move their eyes independently, local folklore claims that these unique reptiles can simultaneously see into the past with one eye and look into the future with the other.

Now it could be that the chameleon is the totem animal of the Twili tribe. Since their exile to the Twili world they have totally adapted to their surroundings and evolved into a new people. Like the chameleon changes color and adapts to it's surroundings. The Chameleon best represents them. And Zant wishes to personify this in his invasion of the light world. Since he gained new power from Ganondorf he is now capable is surviving in the Light World as well. And wears the helmet as a way of announcing that he is capable of living in both worlds, he can adapt to any world and should be master of all of them.

Link Master

The Hero's Master
Well it kind of looks like a horn if you turn it sideways so maybe its something with a symbol of power because all the mask are different. However it could also represent a rank like a king was the only one who could ware purple in a battle back in the old days. Or maybe its a Japanese thing that I would not know about. Thats what I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom